GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2017 GLS ?? Lemon??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS450
2017 GLS ?? Lemon??

Hoping someone can give me some advice --- Re 2017 GLS450

Background --- Bought vehicle brand new approx 1 yr ago. At about 10k miles I started hearing a strange sound only when I first started the car that got worse over time. Went away after running a few minutes. Ultimately at about 15k miles took to dealer and they had the car about 2 weeks and determined the Oil Pump needed replaced (I had never heard of a new car needing an oil pump so early.)

About 1500 miles later the car went completely crazy and I could have sworn that a wheel was coming off (almost felt like the lug nuts were lose or something). My wife wouldn't even drive the car so it had to be towed to the dealership ---- turned out to be some kind of electronic leveler system fault and this was replaced.

Now at the 19k point - brake pad wear light comes on and within a week could hear metal on driver rear (?wear indicator or pad wear , not sure). But visibly the ONLY rotor with wear is the driver rear.

So my more in-depth question is --- do any of you guys have an opinion about what I should do from here ? I know I don't meet the legal criteria for a "lemon" but I have never had so many issues with a new car! And what's the deal with the driver rear brake wearing out so soon. I drive 98% (literally) highway. All highway, 60 miles to and then back from work every day. No stop and start at all.

Bottom line is that I'm trying to get "trade - assistance" from Mercedes but not having much luck. Mercedes customer service was actually very rude!

Old 06-07-2019, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
Do you have Distronic and use it often on highway? I have heard it puts stress on the brakes. Get close to edge and the brakes activate to nudge car back in lane.
The following users liked this post:
Ahole4Sure (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
To be helpful a couple of questions...

1. Your purchased a "new 2017 GLS" about June 2018 - from that same dealer - are both statements correct ?

2. Was there there any other reason - other than better price - that lead to your decision to buy that 2017 when the current "new" model was a 2018 at that time ?

3. 1st problem at 10K miles - when had you had your 10K service done - was it done "early" ? Is there a reason you waited 5K miles to have the dealer check out this problem ? I understand it took 2 weeks for the dealer to get MB the diagnostic's for MB warranty approval - and the parts in to replace oil pump under warranty as a major engine repair job - you had a Mercedes loaner for those 2 weeks - correct ?

4. 2nd problem at 16,500 miles - how long was it in the shop for this ? About 1 week or was it longer ?

5. At 19K miles - you are needing to have new rear brake pads installed - is that the dealer's diagnosis too ? Will you be having your 20K service done at the same time ?

At 19K miles - in one year - with 2 warranty repairs - and now looking to replace rear brake pads - and have 20K service done - you are looking for Mercedes US Trade Assistance to move forward to what new Mercedes with that dealer ?
Old 06-07-2019, 02:44 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
To be helpful a couple of questions...

1. Your purchased a "new 2017 GLS" about June 2018 - from that same dealer - are both statements correct ?

2. Was there there any other reason - other than better price - that lead to your decision to buy that 2017 when the current "new" model was a 2018 at that time ?

3. 1st problem at 10K miles - when had you had your 10K service done - was it done "early" ? Is there a reason you waited 5K miles to have the dealer check out this problem ? I understand it took 2 weeks for the dealer to get MB the diagnostic's for MB warranty approval - and the parts in to replace oil pump under warranty as a major engine repair job - you had a Mercedes loaner for those 2 weeks - correct ?

4. 2nd problem at 16,500 miles - how long was it in the shop for this ? About 1 week or was it longer ?

5. At 19K miles - you are needing to have new rear brake pads installed - is that the dealer's diagnosis too ? Will you be having your 20K service done at the same time ?

At 19K miles - in one year - with 2 warranty repairs - and now looking to replace rear brake pads - and have 20K service done - you are looking for Mercedes US Trade Assistance to move forward to what new Mercedes with that dealer ?
1. Yes new and from same dealership

2. Just better price -- they had it sitting on showroom floor and kept recommending it to me

2. The problem at 10k wasn't so obvious at first , just noticed a little noise when I would first start it but would almost immediately go away. Actually thought it might be normal until it start being louder and staying longer after the car was started

3. About a week

4. That is the dealer telling me that brakes need to be done -- stating $1500 part and 500 to 600 labor. Not sure about 20k service -- never got that far in discussion
Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by black06c230
Do you have Distronic and use it often on highway? I have heard it puts stress on the brakes. Get close to edge and the brakes activate to nudge car back in lane.
Don't think I have the Distronic -- I'll check
Old 06-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
Our 2015 GL550 'reminds' us to stay within the lines by applying the brakes on one side, which 'nudges' the vehicle. I could imagine this creates unequal wear on one side of the vehicle as it is more likely an "out of lane" excursion occurs on the passenger side. Not sure which of the brakes gets applied, but the effect is pronounced ... the vehicle swerves!
Ahole4Sure (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:45 PM

2015 GL 550
Is your Emergency/Parking brake fully disengaging? It presumably works only on one of the rear wheels.

We manually apply the brake when parking the car and manually release the brake when starting, but if we forget it automatically releases when the car is put into gear and the service brake is released.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:00 PM

2015 GL 550
Originally Posted by Ahole4Sure

Bottom line is that I'm trying to get "trade - assistance" from Mercedes but not having much luck. Mercedes customer service was actually very rude!
Not to also be rude, but "where's the beef"? Everything you described should have been covered by the original warranty. Other than your time to take your vehicle into the dealership you aren't out anything as they presumably provided you with a loaner vehicle.

If your complaint is that your vehicle has been in for service too many times ... sorry, that isn't covered! As long as EVERY time you take your vehicle in for service it is repaired and your inconvenience is minimized that's all you can expect.

Your appeal under your state's "Lemon Law" is restricted to situations where your vehicle can not be repaired within a reasonable time dictated by statute, not whether it has to be repaired too many times. I've been in that situation and got a replacement vehicle when the dealership "threw up their hands" as the repairs weren't practical. So far that doesn't sound like your situation.

Certainly, by four years or 48,000 miles you may conclude you don't want to own a vehicle that requires this much warranty service. Your options then are to purchase an extended warranty if you want to keep the vehicle, which is what we did, or to trade. The question then is whether the dealership wants to retain you as a customer!

An unreliable vehicle under warranty will cost M-B regardless of who owns it. If you "burn your bridges" with your dealership you may get less consideration elsewhere ... especially at another M-B dealership as service records are shared. It seems best to "grin and bear it" until it is obvious to both you and the dealership that your vehicle is problematic, at which point they may agree to a favorable trade ... and that you are a customer worth retaining.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:53 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by SaniDel
Our 2015 GL550 'reminds' us to stay within the lines by applying the brakes on one side, which 'nudges' the vehicle. I could imagine this creates unequal wear on one side of the vehicle as it is more likely an "out of lane" excursion occurs on the passenger side. Not sure which of the brakes gets applied, but the effect is pronounced ... the vehicle swerves!
Yes it's interesting that about 1/3 of my highway drive is 2 lane so I have to cross the center lane multiple times to pass big trucks -- so I constantly get the left sided warning when I cross the center lane. Maybe that's why the driver rear is so worn out ! vs the other 3 rotors. I turn of the Lane Change warning thing!
Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 PM

GLS450
Is your Emergency/Parking brake fully disengaging? It presumably works only on one of the rear wheels.

We manually apply the brake when parking the car and manually release the brake when starting, but if we forget it automatically releases when the car is put into gear and the service brake is released.
Not to also be rude, but "where's the beef"? Everything you described should have been covered by the original warranty. Other than your time to take your vehicle into the dealership you aren't out anything as they presumably provided you with a loaner vehicle.

If your complaint is that your vehicle has been in for service too many times ... sorry, that isn't covered! As long as EVERY time you take your vehicle in for service it is repaired and your inconvenience is minimized that's all you can expect.

Your appeal under your state's "Lemon Law" is restricted to situations where your vehicle can not be repaired within a reasonable time dictated by statute, not whether it has to be repaired too many times. I've been in that situation and got a replacement vehicle when the dealership "threw up their hands" as the repairs weren't practical. So far that doesn't sound like your situation.

Certainly, by four years or 48,000 miles you may conclude you don't want to own a vehicle that requires this much warranty service. Your options then are to purchase an extended warranty if you want to keep the vehicle, which is what we did, or to trade. The question then is whether the dealership wants to retain you as a customer!

An unreliable vehicle under warranty will cost M-B regardless of who owns it. If you "burn your bridges" with your dealership you may get less consideration elsewhere ... especially at another M-B dealership as service records are shared. It seems best to "grin and bear it" until it is obvious to both you and the dealership that your vehicle is problematic, at which point they may agree to a favorable trade ... and that you are a customer worth retaining.
Interesting perspective --- you sound like the service manager LOL!

The issue is that if you purchase a new car and it has so many problems before it even has 20k miles AND those problems are unusual (an oil pump so early, levelers , and rear brakes with very little front brake wear --- all pretty unusual) you kinda start to worry about what's ahead as the car starts having "normal wear and tear. My grandfather was a lifelong auto mechanic, my father of course taught me a lot and I'm pushing 60 years old --- so a lot of cars ----- never experienced things like this even with my first car in the 70's --- a Chevette LOLLOL
SaniDel (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,089 Likes on 876 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
If you use your turn signal, it will not intervene and will save you time and money since it won't activate your brakes.

On the lemon law, not sure about every state. but where I live it is determined by how many times a particular item has to be repaired. Let's say you have a car with a radiator that leaks. After the third repair for the same item, you have to send them a letter that states you plan to use the lemon law if the same problem occurs again.

. If the manufacturer fails to conform the vehicle to the warranty after a “reasonable number of attempts” to repair these defects, the law requires the manufacturer to buy back the defective vehicle and give the consumer a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle.
If the vehicle has been back to the service agent for repair of the same recurring problem at least three times, the consumer must give written notification by certified, registered or express mail, to the manufacturer (not the dealer) to afford a final opportunity to repair the vehicle. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may be used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. Upon receipt of the notification, the manufacturer has 10 days to direct the consumer to a reasonably accessible repair facility, and then up to 10 days from delivery of the vehicle to fix it.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:06 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by BlownV8
If you use your turn signal, it will not intervene and will save you time and money since it won't activate your brakes.
Good one -- you missed you calling in stand up comedy LOL

On the lemon law, not sure about every state. but where I live it is determined by how many times a particular item has to be repaired. Let's say you have a car with a radiator that leaks. After the third repair for the same item, you have to send them a letter that states you plan to use the lemon law if the same problem occurs again.
Yeah I talked to an attorney friend of mine ... here in good ole WV the lemon law thing requires 3 attempts for the SAME issue. So in my case it's 3 different issues!
SaniDel (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 PM

2015 GL 550
Yeah I talked to an attorney friend of mine ... here in good ole WV the lemon law thing requires 3 attempts for the SAME issue. So in my case it's 3 different issues!
Was living in Arizona when we played the “Lemon Law” card, but about twenty years ago. What I recall is that the dealership had a certain amount of time (two weeks, a month, whatever) to fix any one problem. As the problem was not dealer repairable the issue was moot ... we got a new vehicle, our defective vehicle was ‘fixed’ with a soldering gun and sold “as is” ... and the dealer got an additional allocation for what was at the time a scarce vehicle ... everyone won.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
Good one -- you missed you calling in stand up comedy LOL
Why is this funny? It is 100% true. Flip on your turn signal when passing or changing lanes and the brakes will not intervene. Or you can just turn off lane-keep assist in your settings and never have to worry about it.

Some of the safety nannies on modern Benz cars can be a little too intrusive and annoying IMO.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 AM

2015 GL 550
Excellent point, DaveW68. If the OP is frequently changing lanes without flipping the turn signal the vehicle is likely dragging a brake, which could explain excessive wear on one rear wheel.

Our 2015 GL550 flashes the turn signals three times with a tap, which is all that is needed to not only signal your intent to other drivers ... and to the police, but also prevents the lane departure feature from intervening.

Lane departure and other "safety nannies" can be intrusive, but they are effective. Our 'favorite' is the alert that sounds when we drive past reflective signs on curvy two-lane roads!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Just remember that there are TWO different versions of "Lane Keeping Assist" on the X166 GL/GLS.

The basic "Lane Keeping Assist" provides the soft rumble in the steering wheel to mimic highway rumble strips when crossing a lane or roadway edge stripe without signaling, while the more advanced "Active Lane Keeping Assist" also uses a brake to help "steer."

Depending on year, model, and market the the version may be standard, optional, or part of a larger package. Turning off the basic "Lane Keeping Assist" will do nothing for brake wear.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 06-08-2019 at 10:22 AM.
SaniDel (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
This is what I "think" - you have a "about a 1Yr old" 2017 GLS450 that you have driven over 19K miles in "about 1yr" - and you have had one warranty engine repair - and now that you need rear brakes - you are looking for direction on how you can secure "Mercedes Trade Assistance" - it's not about your GLS450 since you have driven "fine" for 19K miles - if I had to call it - it's just about a looking to get a "special edge" on the next deal...