GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

600# max hitch weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 350
600# max hitch weight

Hello, I have a 2015 GL350, but I struggle to find a corect answer. i read many threads on this subject, but seems that I am missing something.
I want to buy this 2013 Surveyor that has a 623 Hitch weight, which is a bit over the #600 limit. What I don't understant is the following: even if I buy a 575 one, each time when I want to put something in the front storage area, let's say a 50 pounds charge, if it is not weel compensated with a 100 pounds on the back, it will put an almost 40 pounds more on the hitch, so I will be over the 600 limit anyway. So it is a stressful situation each time...
So if anyway I have to stress each time with the payload weight distirbution, I am thinking that putting more payload on the back to lower the hitch weight a bit to come under 600 will not affect the stability.
And all the weight distribution hitch... Some say it's a no-go, others it's ok... Does the rear airmatic suspension compensate a weight distribution hitch? It is true that we can't find a hitch with weight distribution under the 7.5' hitch limit, so we can understand that MB does not allow a weight distribution hitch. Do I still need one in his case? Will I put more pressure on the rear suspension or it is the same stress with or without it?

For the stability, if needed, I will lower my cruising speed to about 65 miles/hour (usually do 75).
Thanks