GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Stuck or Jammed Airflow Vent grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Mercedes Benz GL350 BlueTEC
Stuck or Jammed Airflow Vent grill

I noticed one of the 2 vents in the second row is stuck and doesn’t allow me to change the direction of the airflow. I’ve tried putting a little bit of force to try to move it but it seems to be firmly jammed, not wanting to be moved. I’m afraid if I put too much force into it, it will break.

Any idea how I can fix it? If anyone has done this and able to provide directions or instructions, it would be very much appreciated.

Jammed airflow vent (left)

Old 10-20-2019, 10:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Hard to tell from the photo, it looks like the vertical vanes are out of alignment with the thumb slider. Can you reach into the register with thin needle nose pliers, hemostats or similar, and try to work the thumb slider back into position relative to the vertical vanes? If I am seeing this correctly, it is similar to a previous vehicle I owned and it was corrected using patience and a heathy dose of careful and thoughtful fiddling.

Keep working it until you figure out what is stuck. If I haven't described this correctly, can you post more photos from different angles?

The WIS procedure says the center console needs to be removed to access the vents/louvers.

Last edited by chassis; 10-20-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 PM
mtm

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
gl450
I had a broken one in the front. Look at this link - it will help you visualize what's involved in the mechanism:

https://www.venttabs.com/vent-tab-me...550-2012-2015/

It consists of three pieces - a fork-like piece engages the vertical slat, another piece holds it and grabs the horizontal slat from the back. Then the front tab (what you use to move the vent) clips onto that piece.

Hard to tell from your picture, but it may be that your tab has partially separated from the piece it clicks onto.

Replacement process is tedious - you have to get the back piece over the horizontal slat from behind and then fashion some sort of a hook to keep it in place while clipping the tab over it from the front
The following 2 users liked this post by mtm:
chassis (10-21-2019), Moosepuck (10-24-2019)