GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

KEYLESS GO weirdness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL550
KEYLESS GO weirdness

So I’m seeking so logical explanation for this story. About 9 months ago all keyless go functionality stopped with my key. Couldn’t enter the car, couldn’t open the back door, and couldn’t start the car. My wife’s key continued to work perfectly. My key did continue to work fine to lock/unlock the car by pressing the buttons on the remote and after removing the start button, it starts the car just fine by inserting and turning it. Simply all functions dealing with the keyless go function were inoperable. I would periodically (accidentally) try it... my wife always uses the start button and it’s her car so every time I drive it I have to remove it. Out of habit I would periodically use the start button only to be continually denied. MB said I needed to buy a new key. Wasn’t worth it to me. The other day I was shopping with my daughter and came back to the car and tried (accidentally) to open the rear door without unlocking it and it opened. I immediately realized what I’d done and thought I must not have locked it. But I had. Every keyless go function has returned to my key and for a couple weeks now has worked flawlessly.

I work in tech. There is obviously an explanation behind this. Any insight here would be welcome and hopefully entertaining.

FWIW, I’m a methodical person who tried many things to fix this problem. I think there was something I even tried with the key (maybe advice from the forum) but nothing worked. It’s reappearance as a functioning key was completely recent and out of the blue.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,937 Likes on 3,100 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Hello, thanks for the post. I didn't see the word battery in your post. Have you interacted with the fob battery(ies) at all? What do you think about that?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 AM

2014 Mercedes-Benz GL550
Originally Posted by chassis
Hello, thanks for the post. I didn't see the word battery in your post. Have you interacted with the fob battery(ies) at all? What do you think about that?
crap. Sorry. I meant to say that it was the first thing I did and I did it more than once. I’ll even add that the range of being able to lock and unlock the doors with the fob buttons was amazing. It’s also worth noting that when it STARTED working out of the blue I hadn’t changed the battery since I had done it twice when the problem started.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,937 Likes on 3,100 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
When using the search function on this site, Keyless Go comes up and often it is related to antennae going bad in any one of the doors. Seems to occur more frequently on rear doors. Solution, if that is the problem, is a replacement door handle with integral antenna.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Actually - I think the issue with your FOB - the FOB's have a Key Button press sequence to deactivate Keyless for that key.. and I "think" you accidentally triggered that sequence.

Please go to your Owner's Manual .. or download a pdf copy of your Owner's Manual from mbusa.com... research Fob function and you "should" find reversal/activation sequence..
The following users liked this post:
SndsoftheSbrbs (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:13 AM

2014 Mercedes-Benz GL550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Actually - I think the issue with your FOB - the FOB's have a Key Button press sequence to deactivate Keyless for that key.. and I "think" you accidentally triggered that sequence.

Please go to your Owner's Manual .. or download a pdf copy of your Owner's Manual from mbusa.com... research Fob function and you "should" find reversal/activation sequence..
So I do remember doing this because it seemed like the only logical thing besides the battery. It didn't work... but maybe I didn't follow the directions properly. I'm tempted to try it again to see if I can deactivate/reactivate it although I also kind of want to leave it working. Interestingly... I keep the key fob inside a little leather case and in general find it extremely difficult to push any of the fob buttons through it. If I want to use the buttons on the fob (long distance locking for example), I have to unzip and remove the key to do it.

Just wondered if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
So let me get this straight - you "want" to have your Fob work as Keyless - you haven't read the manual on how to reactivate it - and you are concerned about your Leather Fob cover - is that correct ?

Have a great Christmas - I am sure you can get it straightened out if you "try"
Old 12-27-2020, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W207 350 CDI W114 280ce
This is a problem with EZS module, needs test with a star machine.

Last edited by RobbieJ; 12-27-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo