GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Interior LED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL 63 - 2006 SLK 55
Interior LED

Changed to 400 lumen per bulb with resistors.

Couldn't add more than two photo from iPhone upload. Will do it later
Attached Thumbnails Interior LED-image.jpeg   Interior LED-image.jpg  

Last edited by Slaynx; 11-26-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 PM

2014 GL 63 - 2006 SLK 55
Vanity
Attached Thumbnails Interior LED-image.jpeg   Interior LED-img_0092.jpg   Interior LED-img_0105.jpg   Interior LED-img_0098.jpg   Interior LED-img_0099.jpg  

Interior LED-img_0103.jpg  

Last edited by Slaynx; 11-28-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
Nice!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
How to replace rear Roof lights and front map lights

Can you please send me instructions on how to disassemble the rear grab bar lights and front map/reading lights to replace with LEDs.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:23 PM

2014 GL 63 - 2006 SLK 55
Originally Posted by refresher72
Can you please send me instructions on how to disassemble the rear grab bar lights and front map/reading lights to replace with LEDs.
you need to pull on the handle and under there are two plastic tab, one on each side. use a flat head and pray the plastic cover outward. It's a bit angled. Once it's out, use pull the metal clip out. You can use your finger or tool to pinch it together and pull out. Once both metal clip are out, you can pull the assembly out and remove the bulb housing.

remember the bulb must have enough load resistor built in and canbus certified. Otherwise, what happen is the light will all turn off within a few seconds of being turned on. Test before you reinstall.

i recall buying many different canbus led with resistor, and finally found a very specific one on amazon for this to work.

you cannot replace the bulbs on the top center. You can change the vanity bulb easily with a plastic trim removal tool.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
X166
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Slaynx
you need to pull on the handle and under there are two plastic tab, one on each side. use a flat head and pray the plastic cover outward. It's a bit angled. Once it's out, use pull the metal clip out. You can use your finger or tool to pinch it together and pull out. Once both metal clip are out, you can pull the assembly out and remove the bulb housing.

remember the bulb must have enough load resistor built in and canbus certified. Otherwise, what happen is the light will all turn off within a few seconds of being turned on. Test before you reinstall.

i recall buying many different canbus led with resistor, and finally found a very specific one on amazon for this to work.

you cannot replace the bulbs on the top center. You can change the vanity bulb easily with a plastic trim removal tool.
I cannot get these images to show up correctly on my browser....
in any case, i see what looks like that logo projector...how did you install, the door light or mirror version?
i am interested in your LED modifications, both the Logo projector and improvements to the rear lights for better camera visibility.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:09 PM

2014 GL 63 - 2006 SLK 55
Originally Posted by William Torres
I cannot get these images to show up correctly on my browser....
in any case, i see what looks like that logo projector...how did you install, the door light or mirror version?
i am interested in your LED modifications, both the Logo projector and improvements to the rear lights for better camera visibility.
You can buy these 3D projector led from eBay. Make sure it's for your car it's red and white housing which you can pry open using a trim removal tool. It's plug and play.

for the license plate lamp, you need to remove the entire trunk interior partition to gain access to the license plate bulb housing.

The compatible GL with no error on dashboard is below:
very bright!

you must first remove the handle bar on the trunk, it had a plastic cover that cover the two screws, then use a trim removal tool to pry open the lower partition where the handle bar is bolted on. Then you can pry open the larger partition that goes up to the glass. Be very careful as there are two plastic hook holding it up other than the trim clips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271932201965?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450 / 2015 Porsche Macan S
I am trying to replace the bulbs on the overhead console and on the rear area where the lights for the rear park assist are located. Does anyone know how to remove those on a GL450?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 PM

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by Slaynx

Thanks Slaynx- But Iam not sure how to pull the tabs OUT as there isn't a way to grip the tabs. I assume I need to put the flathead screw driver in the tiny slot on the top end of the tab and push it down? How are these tabs clip on to the handle? is it on the top end or the bottom end? Does the tabs break? Please advise.. Not sure why MB have to make it so complicated..

Also as I understand there is no way to access the map lamps. They are soft white and look kind of mismatch with other LEDs .

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2020, 11:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
Hi anyone have the details for this bulb upgrade please?

Thanks