GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Panoramic Sunroof not moving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Panoramic Sunroof not moving

Hello,

First time posting here, so bear with me. We have a 2013 GL450 with Pano roof and it has stopped working all together. I cannot seem to track down the issue. I finally got the front half of the headliner down and removed the motors for both the shade and glass, and both moved with my tester. There doesn’t seem to be a fuse labeled for sunroof, and I’ve tested all fuses anyways, in all 3 locations I’m aware of. Is it possible that it’s the dome switch that is actually bad? The last time it worked, my wife opened it without a problem, one touch open, and then couldn’t close it after that. I was able to manually close it, so rain isn’t an issue, but the motors don’t even seem to be getting power, even though the pigtail with the brown and red wires is getting 12v. Applying power to the harness that runs between the motors doesn’t do anything either.

I’m at a loss. Hoping somebody can help me figure this out. A new dome light assembly for the switch is much more cost effective, but seems like one of the only things I can’t test.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes ML63 w164
Originally Posted by BrandonBenson
Hello,

First time posting here, so bear with me. We have a 2013 GL450 with Pano roof and it has stopped working all together. I cannot seem to track down the issue. I finally got the front half of the headliner down and removed the motors for both the shade and glass, and both moved with my tester. There doesn’t seem to be a fuse labeled for sunroof, and I’ve tested all fuses anyways, in all 3 locations I’m aware of. Is it possible that it’s the dome switch that is actually bad? The last time it worked, my wife opened it without a problem, one touch open, and then couldn’t close it after that. I was able to manually close it, so rain isn’t an issue, but the motors don’t even seem to be getting power, even though the pigtail with the brown and red wires is getting 12v. Applying power to the harness that runs between the motors doesn’t do anything either.

I’m at a loss. Hoping somebody can help me figure this out. A new dome light assembly for the switch is much more cost effective, but seems like one of the only things I can’t test.
I'm having a similar problem, mine is barely moving. Did you figure this out?
Old 03-13-2021, 03:05 PM

MB GL 450 4matic 2013
GL 450 X166 2013 Sunroof operating erratically.

Mine opens only half way and then to close it I have to go inch by inch.
Does anybody, please!, knows where the fuse for the sunroof is in the GL450 X166 2013?
Thanks,
joeyowl
Old 03-16-2021, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I can't help, but I'll add this to your puzzle.
Mercedes and other Euro cars have an "anti pinch" function that senses resistance and stops or reverses the closing action. It's present on windows and sunroofs.
Don't know if this is your problem, and I don't know how it senses resistance, but it's part of the circuit.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:50 AM

MB GL 450 4matic 2013
Ha,ha,ha! Oh! gosh! Thanks Mikapen!
Enjoy your AMG53!
Old 03-17-2021, 11:12 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
GL350
Have you measured the continuity across the switch to test it? If you jump the switch do the motors receive power?