GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Front Ride Height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL450
Front Ride Height

I took my 2016 GL450 to an indy shop I’ve long used/trusted to look at my front suspension because the passenger side was ~1/2” lower than the driver side. I was expecting to hear about an expensive airmatic fix, but apparently it’s in good shape. They said they used the computer to reset the suspension back to factory default levels and the good news is the front end is now level. It also rides better too! However, the front wheel well now sits 2.5” (ground to wheel well thru middle of tire) lower than the rears. This is lowest I’ve ever seen it. Also, when exiting off the highway and coming to a stop, the front end didn’t rise up the way it did before the reset (I believe it is supposed to lower at >50mph, then rise back up when you return to city driving?). Anyone have any experience with this? Did they reset it to a sport mode or some other lower alternative? Does anyone know how high my front end should sit - absolute level or as compared to rear? I’ve been paying attention to the tire to wheel well gap on other 450s around town and most, but not all, seem to sit higher.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:55 AM

GL450
Took a couple pics and realized my memory failed. The front end is ~1-3/4” lower than the back. I know it’s common for many vehicles to have a lower front, but I didn’t think this car should drop this much. The manual says the car drops 0.6” for highway driving, but I believe that’s all 4 corners. I’ve only got ~2” of gap between the front tire and well.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL550
Did you take it back to the shop to get their opinion? Sounds like there may be something more going on. If a corner is sagging, it’s usually indicative of a faulty component.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:58 AM

GL450
I did take it back to ask them about it. They said it is to factory spec. They think it is supposed to ride that low (although they seemed to suggest there are other options off spec that we could program to). After driving it a week, I’m pretty convinced it’s too low. Thinking I need to bite the bullet and take it to a MB dealership. Just reluctant to do so. Trying to support the little guy

Anyone else have a front end that rides this low?
Old 12-20-2020, 09:27 AM
mtm

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
gl450
Just for reference - my 2013 GL450 measures 33.5" ground to fender at wheel centerline both front and rear
Old 12-20-2020, 03:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 ML 350
My 2016 GL350's at 33.25" front and 34" rear after sitting overnight on a driveway with a slight incline. So yes, the rear is higher, I guess on a level ground, with some weight off the rears, the difference will be even greater. Try raising and lower the car couple times? Raise the car, wait until it stops, measure the height. Head out for a drive above 35mph (I think), the system will automatically lower the car. Stop, and measure. If the car's going up and down like it's suppose to be, and it rides fine (better, according to you) , then don't read too much into it. You are just not catching the car doing it's stuff while you are driving.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:33 PM

GL450
Thank you for these 2 responses ... they seem to confirm I have an issue. I suspect the rear is higher for @mrtoofay because the car is trying to stay in balance to offset the slight incline. If the front tires are higher due to slope, I think it should lower the front end so that it sits level(ish)?

I’ve tried raising and lowering it a few times, but it always came back to the same place. I think I’m accounting for what’s happening when I’m driving because I’m not seeing the car rise up after coming to a stop after exiting the interstate. It used to do this (without notification, but could visually observe), but is not currently.

If anyone has any other thoughts/feedback, would love to hear. Otherwise, will let you know what I learn (if anything meaningful) front the dealership
Old 01-19-2021, 10:32 AM

GL450
I caved and took it to the dealer. They reprogrammed it and it’s back to looking/feeling normal. The rear wheel well is 34.25” through the center of the wheel and the front well is 33.5” through the center of the wheel. I think it’s fairly common for the front to ride a bit lower as it’s more fuel efficient and possibly better for handling? Anyway, just sharing in case anyone else is having the same issue. Dealer charged $189, which is what they charge every time they have to program something
Old 01-19-2021, 12:28 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by pshrop
I caved and took it to the dealer. They reprogrammed it and it’s back to looking/feeling normal. The rear wheel well is 34.25” through the center of the wheel and the front well is 33.5” through the center of the wheel. I think it’s fairly common for the front to ride a bit lower as it’s more fuel efficient and possibly better for handling? Anyway, just sharing in case anyone else is having the same issue. Dealer charged $189, which is what they charge every time they have to program something
FYI, I think you'll find it's unusual for many vehicles to have absolutely symmetrical spacing between the wheel and body in the front and rear. It's one of the tools in an automobile stylist's bag of tricks.