GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Keyless go won't start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 01:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 ML 350
Keyless go won't start?

Ok, so I have a 2016 GL350 with keyless go. Recently, I've been having issues starting the car in the morning. The sequence would be as follows.

Open door, press brake, push start. Instrument panel lights up as usual, but nothing.
Tried couple more times, nothing.
Car with wiggly line behind it symbol shows up in the middle of instrument panel (seems like traction control?) shows up, and says vehicle inoperative.
Turn the car off, open door, lock, unlock, pressed button again. Nothing.
So, I guess the battery is low. Hooked car up to my other car and tried to start. The glow plug icon lights up, but nothing.
Tried couple more times, and the engine finally starts to crank, but won't start.
Gave up, took my other car out to run take care of some business.
After coming back home, the car started right up, but with CEL on.
Plugged in my obd2 reader and found over 10 codes.

So, I took it into my go-to indie, and they said that one of the ecu modules is acting up. Seems like it's having a problem waking up. Sent me home with the keyless go button taken off, and was instructed not to use it, just to use the key for a while. After only using the key, the car started up fine, so I thought it maybe just a temporary thing that happened since it finally cooled down to the high 40's here in southern California. This went on for about a week, but since we've built up the muscle memory of using the keyless go, it's so troublesome to use our keys to start the car, I tried to use the keyless go, and here's what happened.

Went out couple days ago in the morning, plugged in the keyless go button and the car started right up.
Installed the keyless go button and the car worked fine for the rest of the day. Took off the button when I got home.
Went out yesterday morning, plugged the keyless go button and the car started right up again. Same thing, the car worked perfectly for the rest of the day with the keyless go button installed. This time, I left it there.
Tonight, I had to do a quick grocery run. Went out, and the car won't start again. It turns everything on like before, so I know keyless is working. But just won't crank. Took off the keyless go button.
Went to grocery store, came home, and the car started right up with the key.

So, it seems the indie is right. Certain parts of the car is having a hard time waking up. Jumping the car is not necessary. If car won't start with keyless go, it will, if I come back later (with or without keyless start button installed). If seems like the keyless start button is doing something when it's installed, even with no interaction from us. It's putting certain ecu (according to the indie, there are 3 major systems) into deep sleep that takes at least 15min to wake up from.

Any thoughts? any one with similar experiences? Again, once the car starts, it works fine with the keyless go start or key start for the rest of the day. If i keep the button uninstalled, I can start the car up every morning fine with the key. Thanks in advance for any feed-back.