GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)
View Poll Results: AIRMATIC SUSPENSION UPGRADE - SUCCESS OR FAILURE
Had this done anywhere
0%
Cost
0%
Was the performance ride better than before
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

GL350 AIRMATIC SUSPENSION Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350 Bluetec AMG
GL350 AIRMATIC SUSPENSION Upgrade

Hello everyone, i am a new joiner, and new to Mercedes. Have I made a mistake! Additionally apologies for the long message.

I purchased a low mileage GL 350 AMG AIRMATIC BLUETEC Merc with 28K miles and 5 complete Mercedes Benz Dealer Service History. After about 200 miles of short distance travels and no more than 50 mph I venture on a longer journey with motorway speeds and noticed I got a weird wheel wobble and a lot of tram lining. Taking this to my local alignment garage, I was told that the passengers front was on the legal limit. Replaced the front tires with two Continentals with wheel balancing etc, wobble gone. Overall the ride ride experience is very, very bouncy on comfort and therefore I keep it in Sport Mode which dare i say feels like my previous car - BMW on Run Flats!! Anyway I decided to have the vehicle completely aligned on a Hunter system just to see if all the geometry checked out. Got it back and the steering wheel is slightly more to the left but I am told the settings are spot on!

Not totally convinced and certainly not happy with the ride even in sport mode, I took it to an independent Mercedes Garage who after driving the vehicle themselves said that it felt Ok to them but looking into the Mercedes bulletins stated that there is a recognised Mercedes issue with front and rear suspension Airmatic suspension and and an available software fix. The independent garage, said that the software upgrade should only be done at Mercedes because the values need to be updates and can only be done with who has a Romolus machine!! I have no idea what this is all about.

Anyone come across this fix or have actually had this performed? i am so scared of walking into a main dealer and potentially be given a massive bill. So if anyone has heard or had this done I would welcome some feedback.

Last edited by albuquvm; 06-30-2021 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Model of Vehicle added
Old 06-30-2021, 03:26 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by albuquvm
i am so scared of walking into a main dealer and potentially be given a massive bill.
FWIW, I have the non-adjustable version of Airmatic with the same hardware (it's just not driver adjustable) and I'm very happy with the ride, and especially on the highway at the default setting.

If you are having a problem and there is an available software update for that exact issue, then I would absolutely pursue the fix.

However, I would get a quote from a dealer BEFORE the work is done. There should no reason to be surprised by a bill for service, and it's even possible that the fix may be free depending on your location, warranty, and the nature of the service bulletin.