GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rear camber options.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 07:33 PM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 GL550
Rear camber options.

I need affordable aftermarket solutions for fixing the rear camber on my GL. What have you used that works. Last time I was in tow it ate up the tires. In the front we have some wear but it’s manageable. Rear is unreasonably silly. I need tires for a safety inspection but don’t want to destroy them without getting camber near neutral.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ricardoa1
I need affordable aftermarket solutions for fixing the rear camber on my GL. What have you used that works. Last time I was in tow it ate up the tires. In the front we have some wear but it’s manageable. Rear is unreasonably silly. I need tires for a safety inspection but don’t want to destroy them without getting camber near neutral.
Search for the vendor K-Mac on this site. I think they offer a camber kit for many MB models.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:07 PM
SPONSOR

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by chassis
Search for the vendor K-Mac on this site. I think they offer a camber kit for many MB models.
Hi

Yes we have been manufacturing / resolving OEM suspension shortcomings since 1964 !

For the GL X 166 (and all SUV's including very latest 167) we manufacture both front and rear kits to resolve costly, premature edge tire wear.

GL X166 rear P/N 504026K $480. Replaces the 4 lower arm rear bushes.

Providing precise single wrench "Camber and Toe" adjustment. Can adjust accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack.

Can fit without need for arm removal - bush extraction tool included.

Delivery $40 (worldwide).
Old 04-21-2022, 09:39 AM

2014 GL550
Thank you for the responses. But also looking at other alternatives before making the purchase.

anyone tried just the upper arm? Not sure if Toe can be compensated in the rear.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
You want camber adjustment in the rear. Toe adjustment is the smaller offender as it relates to tire wear. And toe adjustment on the rear axle is getting into deeper waters as it relates to high speed vehicle stability.

Consider an accident avoidance lane change at highway speed with a heavy vehicle load. This is the situation for which rear suspension alignment is designed, as it relates to stability. Changing OEM camber and toe has an affect on high speed vehicle stability.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:13 AM

2014 GL550
Originally Posted by chassis
You want camber adjustment in the rear. Toe adjustment is the smaller offender as it relates to tire wear. And toe adjustment on the rear axle is getting into deeper waters as it relates to high speed vehicle stability.

Consider an accident avoidance lane change at highway speed with a heavy vehicle load. This is the situation for which rear suspension alignment is designed, as it relates to stability. Changing OEM camber and toe has an affect on high speed vehicle stability.
After many year of use the bushings go out of spec and it’s pretty evident that on this platform things get pretty ugly with tire wear. This SUV does not need to have STANCe life rear camber, a modest angle is acceptable but rolling in just the inner tire is just silly. Especially when the vehicle was advertised for towing up to 7000lbs, many SUV have a solid rear Axle and they were stable, Laguna Seca stable, maybe not, but how many of us are using the rig as a sports car? I was asking is if there is toe adjustment in the rear. Because changing the camber angle can indeed change toe of the wheel and would need to be compensated for, I’m speaking for the rears only.

I remember seeing the old ML with camber so far out of range I question the safety of them, they look like getting ready to transform into flying mode ala back to the future.

Last edited by Ricardoa1; 04-23-2022 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-23-2022)