GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Unbelievable…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 611 Likes on 518 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by KCMOjuju
Hi. Thanks. Yes I am 100% done with the car. My secondary car currently is a Lexus and I’ll be replacing the MB with a Lexus LX570.

Do I have any recourse to sue the original owner, in the event I discover that he was aware of the bad engine? I am calling Dallas Mercedes’ to ask.

Also, can you explain to me how it is that my mechanic can be so sure that the previous owner had the engine looked at for precisely the same problems?? I’m really curious about that.
Depends on which state you live in I assume Texas, if there is a recourse After a private sale.

This is a very slim to low likelihood of going in your favor though based on previous experience.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GL550
The car slips when I shift gears.
The car makes a knocking noise.
It was producing smoke out of the tailpipe but that stopped when my mechanic changed my spark plugs and a coil and oil separator. Likely it’ll come back though.

I’m not going to buy the new engine from MB. I don’t really want to by a used one, especially not after what I’ve been reading about the cylinders in this engine, I think I’ll just have the same problem again eventually.

It’s just a mess.

In the beginning I was SURE it was a transmission problem. But apparently the transmission is perfectly fine.
Originally Posted by Max Blast
What do you thenmean by the transmission seems to be slipping? Unsure here of what the real basic problem is… Yes there could be scoring on the cylinder walls but how bad is it? is the car smoking? is it down on power? Is it making clicky clacking noises?

if you factor in the labor needed to pull an engine, disassemble it, fix it with new parts and reassemble it to a specification, you’re right out the $26,000 cost of a new engine from Mercedes, inclusive of the labor to reinstall it. Unfortunately these engines aren’t really rebuildable in the sense that there are a lot of parts available for them in the aftermarket, so you’re stuck selecting from the dealers inventory which is always going to be new, or you’ll have to source a good known used engine from a crashed one through a reseller, and that engine may or may not have the same issue is the one you’re pulling out.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GL550
I’m in Missouri.

Since I’m not able to get the service history from MB Dallas, there’s no way I’m going to be able to prove the prior owner was aware of an engine problem.

I just have to give up the whole thing. I’ll sell it this week.

makes me so mad.

Originally Posted by Max Blast
Depends on which state you live in I assume Texas, if there is a recourse After a private sale.

This is a very slim to low likelihood of going in your favor though based on previous experience.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,077 Likes on 864 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You may be able to get MBUSA to send you a copy with the previous owner's information redacted or find someone on this forum with access that will send you the service history. There are some on this site that will do just that, but you have to use the search feature.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL63 AMG
I would just like to understand why repairing the cylinder(s) is not possible???
I've wondered this as well and have looked into it a little bit ... cylinder repair is probably possible, but it is quite likely not practical. The entire engine would have to be dismantled, and then the Silitec cylinder liners (assuming the 550 engine is similar to the 63 AMG, the liner is essentially a surface treatment rather than old school cast iron sleeves) would either need to repaired if possible or removed and then somehow reapplied with either the same (once again, if possible, but not likely as from what I've read it starts as a cast-in liner) or some other type of applied liner. Assuming the stock bore could be matched, all other factory parts could then be reinstalled. If not, custom pistons would be a likely possibility, as seemed likely in my brief research into rebuilding damaged 63 AMG engines. I had checked on NSC (Nickel Silicon Carbide) cylinder lining at Millenium Technoligies, but if memory serves correct, with just their services and custom pistons, the cost would probably already be in the $10-12k range ... add labor to that, along with any other parts necessary, and the budget gets crazy pretty quickly.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@arsupisemnet has done a rebuild on a scored M278 and new sleeves were used. Use the search feature to find the thread.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by chassis
@arsupisemnet has done a rebuild on a scored M278 and new sleeves were used. Use the search feature to find the thread.
Just finished reading through that ... impressive work. That could potentially save an otherwise impractical-to-rebuild engine. The only real downside I can imagine using steel or cast iron sleeves is the differing coefficients of expansions of the different materials, which I should think would necessitate more piston to cylinder clearance being necessary as compared to as originally built. I'd hate to go through all of that work only to have an aluminum piston expand quicker that the steel (or cast iron) cylinder to be followed by a seize. The Silitec liner should allow tighter clearances, as the rate of expansion, for all intents and purposes, is going to be the same as for the piston. As minimal as it might be, any of the combustion pressure that goes past the piston surface is lost power.

Last edited by colorado_matt; 04-21-2022 at 08:59 AM. Reason: bad wording
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:13 PM

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Mayback
Hi. My names Catherine and I’m new here. But I feel like a veteran after spending my entire evening reading these threads lol…. I’ll tell you guys my horror story and I’m hoping to get some good advice and or hear stories from others who can relate.

In Spring of 2021 I bought a GL550 from a guy (well, sort of, but I’ll get to that part in a minute) in Texas. I bought the car at 60,000 miles “with no known problems”. As of today, Spring of 2022, the car has 70,000 miles on it and Mercedes Benz has told me that I have scoring inside the fifth cylinder and the car requires a new engine, priced at $26,000 not including taxes and fees.

WTF?

That’s basically my situation. I have called Mercedes’ headquarters in Atlanta and was told very politely that there was not jack **** they are going to do, or ever going to do, to help me.

So back up. This is the part that REALLY bothers me. This guy (THIS GUY) who I bought the car from. He had it listed online as a private party sale. He’s in Texas, I’m in Missouri. We talked back and forth and I drove down to Dallas to buy the car. As I left Missouri to go to Texas to meet him, he told me he was going to meet me at X dealership in Dallas and we’d do the transaction there, because there was a technicality/loophole in TX property tax rules whereby he would save a significant amount of money on tax for the car if he sold it to a dealership who would in turn sell the car to me. Fine, I didn’t care. That being said, it ended up being a very long day, very annoying at the dealership, slightly annoying they charged me a fee for the paperwork (and the other guy wasn’t willing to pay for it &#128580. The guy selling the car was there all day, we both did all our paperwork, etc. Fine. Whatever. We did the deal, I left with ownership of the car. Done.

NOW. Since then. Almost immediately, I had to replace the front left air suspension for about $3500. Fine. I did it. Shortly thereafter I had to replace the front right air suspension, another $3500. I also had to replace the compressor, that was about $1000. Fine fine fine. From my reading online, it seemed pretty normal to have to replace the air suspension by 70K. I figured the seller was just a savvy guy……

Now. About six months ago I started hearing knocking, the car would slip upon shifting gears, and then eventually smoke came out the tailpipe (good Lord). I just stopped using the car during this time, kept it in my garage, and drove another. My friend, a mechanic, changed the spark plugs, oil separator, and some coils/line. The smoke stopped but the knocking and slipping persisted with zero improvement.

IMPORTANT: when my friend the mechanic changed the oil separator, he told me that he was absolutely positive this car had been looked at for this same issue before. I am NOT a mechanic, I know nothing about cars, but my friend the mechanic is very knowledgeable and upright, so I believe him. I asked him if he was positive, he assured me he was and that someone had been fiddling around exactly where he was.

Fast forward to this week. Finally bit the bullet and dropped the car off with MB for them to officially DiAgNoSe it. ($600 my ***). Anyway. This is how I found out about scratching inside the 5th cylinder and that I am screwed.

MY QUESTION: first of all, what is going on????!!! Second of all, this hit me today, did this guy I bought the car from, know about the problem, and sold it to the dealership to sell it to me, as a way to shield himself from any liability for prior knowledge????? If so, what can I do????? Thirdly am I just completely wasting my time asking MB HQ to give a **** about this? Fourthly, (lol fourthly, I promise I’m almost done) how can my mechanic be so sure the prior owner was aware of this problem? I’m imagining the mechanic who looked at it previously left an ancient scroll in the engine like “Toby was here, 2020” LMAO but that’s probably not the case…..lol. So, how? I’m truly curious.

Okay car guys. Help me out here. Thank you!!!!!
First, I’d like to say that I’m sorry and sympathetic for your ordeal. Sounds like a bad deal all around :-(

Hopefully you don’t owe more on the truck than what it’s worth. Once you have exhausted corporate MBUSA and they have shown they won’t help you (they won’t as you’re a third party owner…..perhaps if you were a long time purchaser of brand new Mercedes vehicles they might help you out), I would look at top independent Mercedes mechanic shops in your area and see if they can provide any advice that doesn’t involve spending 20k on a new engine. If that doesn’t pan out then yes cut your losses.

This unfortunately is a learning experience. DO NOT purchase any Mercedes or German make or heck any Luxury vehicle unless it is under factory warranty or Certified Pre-Owned warranty and extend it out as far as you can.

I came from a 2013 Lexus LX570. It had issues even the Lexus dealer could not figure out. They pretty much threw in the towel and said it was normal. Steering wheel twitching and vibration at highway speeds even after spending $6000 on a whole new front suspension with new tires and multiple alignments is not normal! So don’t think that Lexus is problem free. My history with Lexus is poor! I sold it and bought a 2017 GLS550.

Mercedes is light years ahead of Lexus when it comes to technology and driving dynamics. My LX570 got 13 mpg with a super small gas tank. My GLS550 gets 18+ same commute and is MUCH more powerful, handles better and is fun to drive. Nothing with 3 rows is as solid or drives like it!

I bought CPO and extended additional 2 years giving me 3 years of total coverage. Who knows what the future holds after that but my GLS will be paid off before then and if it needs a new engine at that time I’ll weigh the costs.

Wish you the best in whatever you decide!
The following 4 users liked this post by WillieMack:
chassis (04-20-2022), Eugene74 (08-19-2022), not2fast (04-21-2022), oldmangrimes (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 03:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
i'm sorry to hear of your trouble. i don't know if my feedback is valuable, but just thought i'd share. we just sold our gently used 2013 GL550. i was the first and only owner, and the mileage was 49,000. it was our family car and used primarily for road trips and/or running our kids to soccer tournaments. hence the low mileage. we LOVED the GL550, it was absolutely pain-free and still looked and ran like new when i sold it to vroom in January. we intended to replace it with the new GLS580 but since they stopped making the V8 for a year, we decided to replace with a BMW X7 instead.

anyway, prior to selling, i got a low coolant warning which turned out to be a cracked coolant hose. no problem, i spent $450 to fix that and flush and refill the line. we were also due for a major "B" service+ (new spark plugs, etc), tires were balding on inside and needed replacement, new brake pads and alignment recommended. nothing out of the ordinary given its age and mileage. at that point, i decided to take advantage of the used car market values and sell it and upgrade.

i sold it without knowing of any other defects or potential for engine breakdown. after the sale, i looked at vroom's inventory and found my car and downloaded the carfax report (free) and it noted all the services i had done on the car, including the very recent coolant hose repair. so maybe if you can get a copy of the carfax, you can see if anything related to the engine issues was inspected and/or repaired in the past ... i believe it's not free unless posted by a seller, so it may cost $29 or something to download.
not2fast (04-21-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 04:16 AM

Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts
2014 GL450, 1992 W140 300SD, 1993 W140 300SE, 1987 E30 Convertible
Clearance between ductle iron or cast iron sleeves is the same as with original silitec liners about 0.0015 inch. Pistons are from alloy and don't expand much.
Pre 2015 GL450-550 have same 4.6l V8 m278 engine. Different boost levels on turbo.
Both start going out at 70k miles - just a design of pistons.
6.3 has 5.5l V8 m157 engine with similar design - different stroke and piston diameter.
To answer question about rebuild - yes sure it can be done but not on the budget. Just let this car go and move on.

The following 3 users liked this post by arsupisemnet:
chassis (04-22-2022), colorado_matt (04-22-2022), E55Greasemonkey (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 10:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
In the market
So what year did the fix the sleeves?

Mercedes M278 Engine Problems and Reliability

Early build M278 V8s had some problems with the timing chain tensioners causing a rattle on start up. The engine has a pretty complicated timing chain drive arrangement. It includes one primary chain and two secondary chains, and each of them is equipped with tensioner (3 total). If not pay attention to knocks/noise for a long time, this may lead to the replacement of the entire chain drive system together with cam adjusters. There were some reports of engine oil starvation due to the failure of the oil pump drive gear (oil pump is driven via a chain).

Also, there were some problems with premature valve guide wear, but later engines don't have that issue. The Silitec coating showed themselves as bad cylinder surface material for operation under high temperatures and detonation. Later, the manufacturer switched on NanoSlide coating which is more scratch resistance.
steh-fan (04-23-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 10:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
In the market
Originally Posted by colorado_matt
I've wondered this as well and have looked into it a little bit ... cylinder repair is probably possible, but it is quite likely not practical. The entire engine would have to be dismantled, and then the Silitec cylinder liners (assuming the 550 engine is similar to the 63 AMG, the liner is essentially a surface treatment rather than old school cast iron sleeves) would either need to repaired if possible or removed and then somehow reapplied with either the same (once again, if possible, but not likely as from what I've read it starts as a cast-in liner) or some other type of applied liner. Assuming the stock bore could be matched, all other factory parts could then be reinstalled. If not, custom pistons would be a likely possibility, as seemed likely in my brief research into rebuilding damaged 63 AMG engines. I had checked on NSC (Nickel Silicon Carbide) cylinder lining at Millenium Technoligies, but if memory serves correct, with just their services and custom pistons, the cost would probably already be in the $10-12k range ... add labor to that, along with any other parts necessary, and the budget gets crazy pretty quickly.

According to this article the GL63 might have Nanoslide cylinder liners.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...on-engine-tech
Old 04-22-2022, 11:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 GL550
See below press article for NanoSlide use. M278 does not apply I don’t believe AMG 5.5l used it either since it’s a derivative from MB engines, not a true AMG built engine per say, Silitec is the technology used. And it’s not the cylinder lining that causes the bigger issue according to other discussions, it’s the piston and carbon build up from improper piston ring alignment, once the piston is damaged it will accelerate cylinder wear. I still see many high mileage M278 running wether scuffed but not enough to cause running issues (CE), that is still debatable. But really how many ppl bore scope high mileage blocks to see wear unless there is a mechanical issue on any car? High risk engine by design, agreed. But all failing at less than 100k well that’s debatable. The only thing you have control off at this point is oil change intervals and quality of oils and how you treat it during warm ups. Going full boost after a start up is not the wisest, But I bet many just take off after a startup, cause well, ideally you should be able to do that, but that’s not the case here.

To the original poster. Stinks to be in your shoes. You did roll the dice with a used car and got burned. I don’t understand the slipping comment. But regardless keep in mind new cars are big money fixing might be worth consideration, but if not mechanically inclined or have no time frame for the vehicle to be torn into pieces, the best bet is to sell it with a broken engine for a fraction. Some savvy mechanic will pick it up and put a used engine to get it going or a salvage yard will pick it up for parts at the auction.

https://emercedesbenz.com/autos/mercedes-benz/s-class/mercedes-benz-new-v6-and-v8-engines-are-more-powerful-and-more-efficient/

https://group-media.mercedes-benz.co...l?oid=14316637

Last edited by Ricardoa1; 04-22-2022 at 08:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricardoa1:
chassis (04-22-2022), oldmangrimes (04-22-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 07:30 AM

Two cents a day....
Oil starvation is because some one decide to use oil pump with variable capacity. That electric connector underneath your crank pulley is a control valve input for oil pump variable geometry. Only reason you starve is because your electric circuit goes south.
Nanoslide - not a solution to your problems, let's say those problems is not surfaced yet. Couple weeks ago someone brought ATV cylinder to machine shop i do work sometimes to have it honed, long story short - the coating is so thin that after one hone pass it needed a cylinder sleeve. So goes your 2k aftermarket boost ad, where they are not responsible for engine failure.
Valve guide - another bed time story. Is it all legal conversation to avoid class law suits... You can say - we used not so good parts supplier to manufacture exhaust valves for our "race" engine which become overheated and loose seal, run a buyback, etc, big money expenses, or just say - oooo valve guides just had wear, it happens, so deal with it yourself... Meanwhile at 50 dollars a piece they could of manufacture inconel valves with lifetime warranty...
Only one to blame for piston wear - is piston supplier.... kolbenschmidt or whoever. Side skirt coating is about 0.0005 inch thick. is about any regular coating thickness, last about 70k - statistically. Could of make 0.001 thick - would last twice longer.... But guess what - they need to eat too... By the way - there is a way to machine Silitec blocks - using PCD cutters. After that hone it with corundum stones, put repair pistons and go... However no one is interested to sell oversize pistons for these engines... Simple economy...
For the woman who wrote original post - that POS guy pull some sneaky move on you. First time i hear about middle man dealership. He knew exactly what was going on with the engine. So he pulled a strings to let it go and avoid liability.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:33 AM

I will buy your car for 3k cash, no questions. Dealership usually offer under 2k...
Old 04-23-2022, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
The previous owner bought the car new in 2013.

The little knocking noise was present very shortly after I bought the car but I didn’t care because I didn’t know and my CEL wasn’t on.

i just talked to MB Dallas and they said they are legally not allowed to give me any information on the service history of the vehicle while it was under the previous ownership. Is that really so????
No, they can absolutely print out all previous service history done at any MB dealer.
If they refuse, you could get in contact with MB customer service, they will do it for you.
olcree1111 (04-24-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
You're in the wrong forum. You have a 166. Anyhow...cylinder scuffing is becoming a common problem with your engine. The engine block is ruined, and the only practical solution is to replace the engine. If you continue to drive it the engine with seize. With the value of a used GL450/550 that often costs more to fix than the car is worth, even with a used engine plus labor it's going to be a lot. Unfortunately, unless your state laws are different, you bought a used car, and there is no implied warranty. The dealership does not have to give you the service history, and MB corporate will do nothing to help you, they don't care, as you have found out. Generally they will only offer assistance to the original owner IF the car was serviced exclusively at a MB dealer. Even then, they don't offer much these days. Sorry for your trouble. The Lexus is a good idea.
How can she be in the wrong forum when she has a GL550 from 2013 (aka X166)?
Old 04-24-2022, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,077 Likes on 864 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by steh-fan
How can she be in the wrong forum when she has a GL550 from 2013 (aka X166)?
Was originally posted in the X164 forum. Mod moved it to the correct forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlownV8:
chassis (04-24-2022), E55Greasemonkey (04-24-2022), steh-fan (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 05:53 PM

2014 GL550
Originally Posted by arsupisemnet
Have you looked into custom pistons from JE, Diamond, Mahnle, Carrillo or Wiseco for oversize with the correct iron coating? As you mention there is bore and agitation process to redo Alusil or Silitec lining. As these drop like flies the demand will be there in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
GL550
I bought my GL550 at an auction. I went to my local dealership and told then I just purchased it and requested they print out the history so I knew what service had been done and they had no issue with printing it out for me.

Last edited by olcree1111; 04-24-2022 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2022, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 X166 GL AMG, '98 W202 C280 Sport
The scoring would be good reason for MB to not want to even consider working on the engine.
A few things can cause the issue, but once it has started, there is no going back.

It sounds like there was an oil distribution problem at some point, around the time you had the Airmatic struts replaced.

The slippage you experienced was likely caused by reduced power due to problems producing compression in cylinder 5, causing the piston to rub against the side of the cylinder and caused the knocking sound you experienced.
It is possible to have the engine block worked on and the cylinder rebored, but it would require new pistons too, so would be costly and is unlikely to last very long without much greater frequencies of maintenance. the tolerances required are incredibly tight. MB, like any other OEM would prefer to replace entire component groups instead of individual component parts due to the lower amount of potential human error and time required ~ as they have to offer warranty on those parts and the labor ~ much like with your Airmatic struts, they replaced the entire suspension stacks instead of just the internal airbags.

Buying any used vehicle of this age is a risk, and without your own working knowledge of the vehicle, it can become very costly when relying on OEM or third party mechanics, especially with European vehicles.

Like many have said, may be best to cut your losses and sell the vehicle for the 18k you have already been offered, but it depends if you are more concerned about finances or driveability ~ I would personally prefer to try find a good condition second hand motor block to replace the scored block so that I could get the car up and running for use, or for resale.

At least the first 5 years of your cars services will be on record with MB ~ call a service center and ask for the emails/printouts ~ as you are the legal owner, they will give it to you. As they do not provide physical paper service books anymore, they are legally obliged to offer you this information about the service history. But given its age, I highly doubt that its most recent services have been with MB, and that is where the information you want would be,

Last edited by JayMwang; 04-25-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ricardoa1
Have you looked into custom pistons from JE, Diamond, Mahnle, Carrillo or Wiseco for oversize with the correct iron coating? As you mention there is bore and agitation process to redo Alusil or Silitec lining. As these drop like flies the demand will be there in my opinion.
Not worth it. Same amount of machine work. Plus 100 USD per cylinder diamond coated rings, 300-500USD per piston, bla bla bla... Ductile iron custom order sleeves about 1500 total, custom order racing pistons 1200 set, regular rings 80 set... Now why would some one in the clear mind spent all the money to rebuild another 70k miles engine, where you can build 200k engine with sport performance?
Old 04-25-2022, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JayMwang
The scoring would be good reason for MB to not want to even consider working on the engine.
A few things can cause the issue, but once it has started, there is no going back.

It sounds like there was an oil distribution problem at some point, around the time you had the Airmatic struts replaced.

The slippage you experienced was likely caused by reduced power due to problems producing compression in cylinder 5, causing the piston to rub against the side of the cylinder and caused the knocking sound you experienced.
It is possible to have the engine block worked on and the cylinder rebored, but it would require new pistons too, so would be costly and is unlikely to last very long without much greater frequencies of maintenance. the tolerances required are incredibly tight. MB, like any other OEM would prefer to replace entire component groups instead of individual component parts due to the lower amount of potential human error and time required ~ as they have to offer warranty on those parts and the labor ~ much like with your Airmatic struts, they replaced the entire suspension stacks instead of just the internal airbags.

Buying any used vehicle of this age is a risk, and without your own working knowledge of the vehicle, it can become very costly when relying on OEM or third party mechanics, especially with European vehicles.

Like many have said, may be best to cut your losses and sell the vehicle for the 18k you have already been offered, but it depends if you are more concerned about finances or driveability ~ I would personally prefer to try find a good condition second hand motor block to replace the scored block so that I could get the car up and running for use, or for resale.

At least the first 5 years of your cars services will be on record with MB ~ call a service center and ask for the emails/printouts ~ as you are the legal owner, they will give it to you. As they do not provide physical paper service books anymore, they are legally obliged to offer you this information about the service history. But given its age, I highly doubt that its most recent services have been with MB, and that is where the information you want would be,
Some amature comments about engine longetivity after rebuild... Already put another 50k miles on my own build still going strong...
Old 04-25-2022, 10:57 AM

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
GL 450
I am curious if they do pay the $18k when the see it, asking for a friend.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:39 PM

2014 GL550
Originally Posted by arsupisemnet
Not worth it. Same amount of machine work. Plus 100 USD per cylinder diamond coated rings, 300-500USD per piston, bla bla bla... Ductile iron custom order sleeves about 1500 total, custom order racing pistons 1200 set, regular rings 80 set... Now why would some one in the clear mind spent all the money to rebuild another 70k miles engine, where you can build 200k engine with sport performance?
So we decided that the Silitec coating is not the true problem, the piston is? And the benefits of the Silitec is a tight low friction allowing for free horse power and MPG from the technology. Custom pistons with bigger coating thickness, as you said it was under coated originally. But still preserve the benefits of alusil or Silitec. Iron sleeve is a good heavy duty method I agree, but why not keep the original design and just make robust?

Last edited by Ricardoa1; 04-25-2022 at 01:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable…