GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rattle in Front Drivers Side.. Shock or Control Arm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
Rattle in Front Drivers Side.. Shock or Control Arm

I have a rattle in my Wife's 2016 GL450 (126K miles) . To me it sounded exactly like end links that were worn out, that rattle at slow speeds, almost like rocks in a tin can. I changed them and there has been no change to the rattle. I have been looking at the lower control arm bushing but cant really see any dry rot. The Air shocks are not loosing any air at all. How common is the rattle to come from the control arm vs the air shock? There is the big replaceable bushing on the back of the lower control arm, how common is it for that to go bad?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2022, 08:36 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 GL550
Originally Posted by smartdave90
I have a rattle in my Wife's 2016 GL450 (126K miles) . To me it sounded exactly like end links that were worn out, that rattle at slow speeds, almost like rocks in a tin can. I changed them and there has been no change to the rattle. I have been looking at the lower control arm bushing but cant really see any dry rot. The Air shocks are not loosing any air at all. How common is the rattle to come from the control arm vs the air shock? There is the big replaceable bushing on the back of the lower control arm, how common is it for that to go bad?

Thanks
does it get more frequent when the shock is on sport mode?
I have a clunk on my left side. I’m pretty sure it’s the shock. But it works so have not fixed due to its cost.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
I just tried on sport mode (raised suspension) and it seemed better, so to me that points to a bad shock