GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Tires 295/40R21

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 04:55 PM

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 GL550
Tires 295/40R21

I know it’s been said before, but still pretty upsetting how tires get eaten up. Anyways doing semi bargain tires. Almost no sense spending big money on it, they will be trashed sooner than reasonably. Check out the wear on the old, and a pic of the new one. Hope to align and set at 0 Toe front and rear. I do a lot of freeway driving rather have decent wear at 65+ on sport mode than a few fractions of a lateral Gs.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:59 AM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking into the LH-Fives as well. How is the ride quality so far? Do you plan to use them all season including some snow?
Old 11-28-2022, 11:26 AM

2014 GL550
Originally Posted by tadiguy
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking into the LH-Fives as well. How is the ride quality so far? Do you plan to use them all season including some snow?
Fist impressions were that they were a tad noisier than the Continentals I removed. But that’s an invalid comparison because there is hardly any thread left on the Continentals and I don’t remember what they would have sounded when new. The pads on these new ones seems aggressive enough to tackle snow and mud which is what I was looking for as I live in New England. Full disclosure I mounted and balanced myself on a bobbing harbor freight balance tool. And to my surprise they don’t show up any vibration at highway speeds. I was expecting to have to redo it at the dealership when I got my alignment done. But to my surprise they are true and needed very little help. Hopefully they last better and handle snow better aswell.

The following users liked this post:
tadiguy (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 08:36 PM

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet

My new to me GLS 550.

I purchased this to replace my ML350. It's going to be a business/commuter car primarily and the air ride has already proven to be a massive improvement over the ML. It's a 2017 with 23k miles. The paint is nearly flawless and the interior looks (and remarkably, smells!) new. I'll post better pictures after I wash it (took delivery in the rain) but wanted to ask a few questions first, including one pertaining to the photo above:

-Both headlamp assemblies have a minor amount of condensation behind the lenses. This has happened to my ML350 before. My garage is heated, insulated and I have a dehumidifier in there (ambient humidity is hovering around 30% so pretty dry) and I'm hoping the fan will force a small amount of hot, dry air into the assembly to clear it up. That said, any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

-Are there spacer kits for the air springs? I'd like to fit slightly more aggressive, slightly taller tires. Probably can't go more than 1" taller at stock ride height, and seeing as the vehicle automatically lowers at speed I'd need the additional clearance.

-I've read about android HU's to replace the stock unit. 7" is a bit small and there are 9" units that add features, have a higher resolution (and touch) screen, are brighter and generally are a QOL upgrade vs the standard HU. Does anyone have recommendations for the best unit? Any installation advice would be much appreciated too!

-I took delivery last night. Both driver and passenger seats had functional multi-counter and massage features. This morning, both seats have lost bolster adjustability and massage function. The motors are operative when I activate the features which makes me think a hose has become loose (which happened with the driver seat in my G550). Strange that both failed simultaneously. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2022, 09:16 PM

2014 GL550
Originally Posted by JD101b

My new to me GLS 550.

I purchased this to replace my ML350. It's going to be a business/commuter car primarily and the air ride has already proven to be a massive improvement over the ML. It's a 2017 with 23k miles. The paint is nearly flawless and the interior looks (and remarkably, smells!) new. I'll post better pictures after I wash it (took delivery in the rain) but wanted to ask a few questions first, including one pertaining to the photo above:

-Both headlamp assemblies have a minor amount of condensation behind the lenses. This has happened to my ML350 before. My garage is heated, insulated and I have a dehumidifier in there (ambient humidity is hovering around 30% so pretty dry) and I'm hoping the fan will force a small amount of hot, dry air into the assembly to clear it up. That said, any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

-Are there spacer kits for the air springs? I'd like to fit slightly more aggressive, slightly taller tires. Probably can't go more than 1" taller at stock ride height, and seeing as the vehicle automatically lowers at speed I'd need the additional clearance.

-I've read about android HU's to replace the stock unit. 7" is a bit small and there are 9" units that add features, have a higher resolution (and touch) screen, are brighter and generally are a QOL upgrade vs the standard HU. Does anyone have recommendations for the best unit? Any installation advice would be much appreciated too!

-I took delivery last night. Both driver and passenger seats had functional multi-counter and massage features. This morning, both seats have lost bolster adjustability and massage function. The motors are operative when I activate the features which makes me think a hose has become loose (which happened with the driver seat in my G550). Strange that both failed simultaneously. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I just put in stock sized tires. Maybe start a fresh thread to get a larger audience for opinions. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the GL side.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:48 PM

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Ricardoa1
I just put in stock sized tires. Maybe start a fresh thread to get a larger audience for opinions. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the GL side.
Ha! I meant to start a new thread. Thanks for letting me know.