GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

6 disc head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 04:13 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 gl350 bluetec 1999 Triumph Legend TT
6 disc head unit

I am thinking about buying a 6 disc head unit to replace my single disc head unit in my 2015 GL. Would the new head unit need to be matched(programmed) to my vehicle in order to function? Also do the ntg4.7 units play hd dvd or blueray?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-21-2022, 04:48 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Iknownothing
I am thinking about buying a 6 disc head unit to replace my single disc head unit in my 2015 GL. Would the new head unit need to be matched(programmed) to my vehicle in order to function? Also do the ntg4.7 units play hd dvd or blueray?
Thanks,
Bob
Yes, programming is required. No, the factory NTG4.7 units do not support HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

IMHO, it would be far easier, and less expensive, to rip your CDs to file and play them via bluetooth from your phone or via aux from a small mp3 player.

Even better, and also very easy, perhaps consider installing a CarPlay/Andriod Auto box for really easy control of music libraries using the existing screen along with always current maps? For example, I installed this unit in our GL but it was less expensive at the time via amazon.com.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 12-21-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 gl350 bluetec 1999 Triumph Legend TT
Thanks for that info. Where did you put the carplay unit?
Bob
Old 12-22-2022, 04:00 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Iknownothing
Thanks for that info. Where did you put the carplay unit?
Bob
Lots of room directly behind the HVAC control panel to hide it and it's insanely easy to take apart the necessary portion of the dash in a GL---literally only two screws.

Use a trim tool to pop the chrome surround trim on the command unit, use the same tool to pop off the HVAC panel (there are little access slots at the top), and then access the two T20 screws on the Comand unit. That's it.

If you are in USA/Canada and have the HK audio system you can enable the internal AUX port within the Comand Menu so the entire install is plug-and-play and you won't have to run a connection to the Aux port in the center console. (Example on a E350, but the menus are the same for all NTG4.5/4.7 Comand units.)

The phone will connect to CarPlay via wifi and you will want to use the regular MB Bluetooth connection for phone calls since the factory mic has noise canceling. Literally the hardest part of the entire install install is re-installing the Comand unit with the new wiring harness. It's a tight fit, but with time and care, its will all fit.

Here's an install video of a previous generation CarPlay unit from a different company, but the install is identical for the newer units.