GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Brake pad wear light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Brake pad wear light

I have a brake pad light. While the pads looked fine visually I decided to take the wheel off and measure the thickness and replace them if needed.
First of all, based on what I read, I was looking for the wear sensor then realized not all wheels have them. The driver side doesn't have them.
Secondly, removing the spring clip on the front wheel is incredibly difficult due to the metal cover attached to the spring. The brake pad was pretty thick at 8mm so I decided to keep them.
I moved on the rear wheel, and realized there was no wear sensor on the drive side. Anyways, the pad had the plenty life left at 8mm, so I put back the wheel.
Now I am questioning what to do. Should I check the brake pads on driver sides? They all look fine visually. Is it possible that the brake pad wear sensor is malfunctioning?
What is your experience?
Thank you.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GL550
Yeah they’re not on all wheels. The brakes themselves also have an audible brake noise (the squeak) once they get to the replacement point. If I were you I’d look for the sensors and make sure they’re plugged in and not broken. On mine one was broken. If the sensor is unplugged it will also trigger the dash notification.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:22 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by AutomationJunki
Yeah they’re not on all wheels. The brakes themselves also have an audible brake noise (the squeak) once they get to the replacement point. If I were you I’d look for the sensors and make sure they’re plugged in and not broken. On mine one was broken. If the sensor is unplugged it will also trigger the dash notification.

I found the culprit. It was the inner pad of the right rear that needs to be replaced. I found the sensor fully exposed. The pad is 4mm and I will replace it tomorrow. I wonder what makes the inner pad wears faster than the other.
Old 07-30-2023, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,077 Likes on 864 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Typically it is caused by lane keep assist. Make sure you lube the sliding pin.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:02 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Typically it is caused by lane keep assist. Make sure you lube the sliding pin.
Thanks. I will lubricate the pins!