GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

X166 Stuck in Sport Mode | Ride Height Sensor Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 09:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 GL550
Unhappy X166 Stuck in Sport Mode | Ride Height Sensor Problem?

Symptoms:
  1. Rough(er) ride than normal; suspension feels stiff
  2. Airmatic Button stays in "Sport" when pressed (supposed to toggle between "Sport" and "Comfort")
I've already checked:
  1. A couple of threads (here and here)
  2. Visual inspection of linkages of Ride Height sensor on all 4 wheels (nothing broken, move freely)
  3. Visual inspection of suspension airbags (all bags intact)
  4. Visual inspection of Ride Height sensor wiring harness / connector (no discernible damage, all connected)
  5. Gauge Cluster Messages (none, no "Airmatic Malfunction")
  6. Vehicle Rising ("Off Road Mode") button... vehicle still raises and lowers using this button

My question: is there anything else I can check before making an appointment at the dealer? I suspect a faulty ride-height sensor at this point... would love to hear y'all's thoughts!
Old 08-03-2023, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
Originally Posted by Jason Stewart
Symptoms:
  1. Rough(er) ride than normal; suspension feels stiff
  2. Airmatic Button stays in "Sport" when pressed (supposed to toggle between "Sport" and "Comfort")
I've already checked:
  1. A couple of threads (here and here)
  2. Visual inspection of linkages of Ride Height sensor on all 4 wheels (nothing broken, move freely)
  3. Visual inspection of suspension airbags (all bags intact)
  4. Visual inspection of Ride Height sensor wiring harness / connector (no discernible damage, all connected)
  5. Gauge Cluster Messages (none, no "Airmatic Malfunction")
  6. Vehicle Rising ("Off Road Mode") button... vehicle still raises and lowers using this button

My question: is there anything else I can check before making an appointment at the dealer? I suspect a faulty ride-height sensor at this point... would love to hear y'all's thoughts!
If still raising and lowerign works I would say it’s simply the sport/comfort button itself that went bad.
The following users liked this post:
kain78 (10-05-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 08:17 AM

2013 GL550
here are some photos of the level sensors… there’s nothing that stands out to me as being broken, perhaps someone else can spot what might be causing the car to always revert to sport mode?

Front driver side level sensor

Front passenger side level sensor

Rear passenger side level sensor

Rear driver side passenger sensor
Old 10-03-2023, 06:27 PM

2013 GL550
Took it to the dealer; turns out the ADS electrical bits on the rear left strut are toast and the rear left strut needs to be replaced. Dealer says $2200 to do it, local shop says $1600. Oem strut is about $1000… found replacements (with ADS) on ebay for between $90 and $140. Going to see if I can convince indie shop to use parts I supply to save $$$.

Does anyone know if installing this new strut will require a visit to the dealership to have the vehicle programmed to use it?