GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Looking to purchase a 2013 GL350 Bluetec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Well... few months of looking for the 7-seat combo with white exterior, light interior, rear air and diesel engine is not bringing successful results.
In the mean time I run into Land Rover, who meets the criteria and there are 3 on the US market right now. Point is that for last 25 years I did not buy different car, than MB and with tens of brands I did own in my life, I never did own Land Rower.
I never liked boxy shape of GLK and GL models anyway.
What you guys think?

Old 08-02-2024, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 686 Likes on 498 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
My aunt used to import parts for land rover / range rover. One day I told her I was thinking of buying into the marque and she laughed - hard - and said "RUN AWAY!!!" I didn't buy in.

But other than that anecdote, I've got nut'n.

Edit: I did get to drive a supercharged Range Rover from Wyoming to Santa Barbara once. Dropping down through Nevada, I wasted no time. That was a fun day.

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 08-02-2024 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
......"RUN AWAY!!!" ....

This is what I hear in last decade about buying Mercedes diesel in USA
Still, when I had bigger failure 4 years ago on Sprinter, my other 2 Mercedes diesels run perfect.
I am starting to forget how OBD scanners work
When diesel cars still have low appreciation in USA, from what I see on the market, Land Rovers are priced higher than comparable Mercedes.

Last edited by kajtek1; 08-02-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 686 Likes on 498 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kajtek1
This is what I hear in last decade about buying Mercedes diesel in USA
Still, when I had bigger failure 4 years ago on Sprinter, my other 2 Mercedes diesels run perfect.
I am starting to forget how OBD scanners work
When diesel cars still have low appreciation in USA, from what I see on the market, Land Rovers are priced higher than comparable Mercedes.
To be fair, my practice wife has a LR Defender. She seems to like it.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 gl350 bluetec 1999 Triumph Legend TT
I looked at a couple of Land Rovers but did not like the jump seats. I don't particularly like black, I prefer the very Light Green colour or silver but at the time I was looking very limited availability so Black is the colour outside and in, also My GL had average mileage for the age it was so that was a factor. I did look at a 2016 in a dark blue but I just didn't like the cream colour interior. I. toyed with the idea of buying it and swapping out the interior though. My 2015 has been very reliable, tows well and holds a few grand children so no complaints. I have never had a regen message of any sort. The only reason I know I have rear air is because I went to the dealer to try and buy the driver side storage bin for the rear and they said nope you've got rear air behind that panel. I put Michelin Crossclimate tires on with the payout money. Brake pads and disks recently. So the usual consumable stuff. The vehicle does not have the offroad package but that isn't an issue because I'm not taking it 4 wheelin" . Basically the vehicle checked all my boxes so I bought it. The only other vehicle on the radar was the GM Yukon with the V6 Duramax diesel, couldn't find one to even look at so it was out.
Old 08-03-2024, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Land Rovers are like boats. The best day in a Land Rover owners' life is when he buys it, and the second-best day is when he sells it. Probably no worse than owning a MB diesel with all the emission controls, leaky oil coolers, and timing chain issues. On another note, you know why the English never made computers? Because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.
Old 08-05-2024, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Land Rovers are like boats. The best day in a Land Rover owners' life is when he buys it, and the second-best day is when he sells it. Probably no worse than owning a MB diesel with all the emission controls, leaky oil coolers, and timing chain issues. On another note, you know why the English never made computers? Because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.
I had 4 boats in my life and the 3 I bought used, I sold for more, than I paid for, while I had minimal maintenance expenses. .
Mind, I used them mostly on the lakes and when going on San Francisco Bay, I would wash them carefully. Still 2 trips on SF Bay made more damages than 5 years on the lakes.
Now coming to buying, I am getting impression that used car salesmen are too busy to take care about car selling.
The vehicle I like are several hundreds miles away from me, so I have to set base deal before driving.
To date it takes about 6 emails/phones exchanges to find out how many keys the car for sale has. I had last week to arrange the purchase and it went nowhere.
When I email the question on dealer website, I am getting email to call certain person. Than the person is not answering the phone and has message box full......
I found GL in the combo I like, so I inquired about it as well with the same results. '
There is a shop owner on Sprinter forum, who service Sprinters and Land Rovers as well. Per his advise, Land Rovers are good vehicles, but before reaching 100k, they need whole 1-piece exhaust replacement, who being SS cost about car value at the time.
But that's nothing new on this forum?

Last edited by kajtek1; 08-05-2024 at 04:34 PM.