GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

WWYD if you bought a GL350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL350
Cool WWYD if you bought a GL350

Hi fine folks of MB. Appreciate all the info you guys care to share with newb like me.
TL;DR: Goto the questions at the end of this post.

Seized Engine-Fixed
I bought a 2013 GL350 that was fixed and sold to me by a mechanic who bought the car with seized engine. I have 8k kms since I bought it and apart from crankshaft pulley not tightened to specs, everything else is great so far. Crankshaft pulley was fixed by a mechanic who ONLY deals with OM642 engines in Toronto (yeah, this mechanic makes enough dough just working on these engines - its telling :P).

Delete (semi):
I didn't want a FULL delete, so I opted for EGR/Swirl Flaps/DEF delete and kept the DPF (for now at least). I didn't want to deal with the smell. The delete I have can be reverted back to original software if need be. The records indicate AEM performed on this vehicle in 04/2022. There is warranty on parts other than emissions, so why not be able to utilize them if need be and that was my reasoning for going with a reversible delete even if it cost me 30% more than local delete shops. I have 3 different versions of this delete.

1. Max HP and torque gains (Excluding DPF)- This version is addicting. But I did notice my fuel rail pressure stays high with this and although it might be just in my head but I don't like the idea of fuel mixing in the oil too much. Drove roughly 5000 kms with this tune. Currently not using it and waiting for Blackstone lab results on this tune after 3500kms from oil change.
2. Mid HP and torque gains (Excluding DPF)- Gives better fuel economy than the other 2 software versions. But tbh, i haven't driven with this tune much to say anything positive or negative about it.
3. Delete Only tune. Turns off emissions (excluding DPF) but keeps the rest of the vehicle stock. This is what I am currently running for the past ~1000kms until I get the oil analysis lab results. I don't drive fast because I have a 96 Trans Am with bored heads that can scratch my itch if I need to go fast. I drive this SUV like a grandpa. I cruise and sometimes even hit 3L/100km going between 60-80km/h, so this version of tune is fine unless oil analysis report paints a rosy picture on tune #1 which is what I am waiting for.

Engine Oil:
Whatever I had in the block when I bought the car was removed and I added Rotella T6 5w40. Drove it 4000kms and then drained it and added Liqui Moly 4110 (22.9.52) which is currently in the engine. The only way the oil level comes down is due to my obsessive oil checking. I must have wiped off a quart of oil by checking it too much.
There is way less soot in the oil since EGR is blocked. This is my first Diesel or Benz so I was surprised how thin the oil is. From how the oil was before tune to now, the difference is night and evening (not quite day yet). Before the tune, it was just midnight black, like blackhole black, like nightmare black. Since the tune, I can tell that whatever soot is there is the residue and will take many more oil change to completely clean. I don't want to flush either. Let the engine clean itself gradually.

Oil analysis (tune #1) is with Blackstone Labs and I will update this thread once I get the results back.

Preventive Maintenance:
So far, I have done the following:

PCV replaced with Mercedes original (DIY)
Turbo orange oring - Mercedes original (DIY)
Engine Air Filters - After market (DIY)
Cabin Air Filters - After market (DIY)
Oil/Filter change - Mahle/LM 4110 (DIY)
Liqui Moly Diesel System Cleaner
Liqui Moly DPF protector
Liqui Moly Ceratec

Preventive Maintenance: Pending
Fuel Filter replacement
Transmission Fluid/filter

Scanner
Using Autel AP200 to track DPF regenerations

Fuel
I use Shell V-Max Diesel exclusively. Only used LM Diesel cleaners in the beginning and don't plan on using other fuel additives since I trust the Shell V-Max diesel to do the cleaning.

Driving Style:
I don't Italian tune it. Although, I did once, while observing LIVE DATA on the scanner. The DPF% went down from 15% to 11%. So I know it works but also does the regular regen.
Mostly city driving to work (12 km one way), then home, then kids to their activity not too far either. On weekends, maybe 100km trip to somewhere. Once a month, maybe a 500km round trip. Once or twice a year 2000 km round trips.
Normally, it is city driving and I don't have a heavy foot. Windows down and I like to hear the engine. That's my music. Not even a radio plays. Just diesel humming is enough music for my ears.

QUESTIONS:
Trust me when I say this but I have read pretty much every post that has existed on these engines/X166 available in English on google. That is why I bought/performed the maintenance that I have BUT there is very little info on the TYPE of OIL to be used with a delete like mine, where there is NO EGR but DPF is still there.
1. Is it still necessary to use 229.52 with EGR deleted? I do like Liqui Moly / Fuchs oils so I don't mind running 229.52 but if it is trying to clean something that isn't there coz of the tune then is it overkill?
2. In Canada, max B5 is on Shell. Should I still be worried about oxidation/gelling/carbon buildup?
3. And now the last question: Seeing how far I am with maintenance, what else would you recommend to keep this engine humming along for years and years. I am a DIYer so I would rather spend $500 on a tool than paying a mechanic but I know some jobs are better to leave it to a professional.

Last edited by Krypton_Blaze; 06-03-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:31 PM

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 GL450, 1992 W140 300SD, 1993 W140 300SE, 1987 E30 Convertible
If DPF is still there, you will have a problem. Your engine will kill itself very soon. Most of the tuners don't know how properly fix issues
Old 06-03-2024, 02:33 PM

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 GL450, 1992 W140 300SD, 1993 W140 300SE, 1987 E30 Convertible
Rotella is crap. switch to Mobil Delvac ESP
Old 06-03-2024, 03:11 PM

2013 GL350
Originally Posted by arsupisemnet
If DPF is still there, you will have a problem. Your engine will kill itself very soon. Most of the tuners don't know how properly fix issues
Thanks for your response.

hmmm. I got my tune from VladimirCDI who has done hundreds if not thousands of OM642 tunes. Its a risk no matter who we go with as we put our trust (and $$$) in their hands. If I see ANY indication that DPF is harming my engine then I will just gut my DPF. So far in 8000 kms I have yet to miss a regen. I always track it and drive on highway until it is finished. Usually takes 20 mins of cruising at 100km/hr. Only once it was while going to work and it was finished by the time I pulled over to park.

What are the signs I should look for that DPF is killing my engine?
Old 06-03-2024, 03:38 PM

2013 GL350
Arrow

Originally Posted by arsupisemnet
Rotella is crap. switch to Mobil Delvac ESP
went through it's datasheet. Similar numbers to Liqui Moly 4110 5w40. Any particular additive you like in this oil?

LM4110 - Currently Running on it for ~3500kms

Mobil Delvac 5w40

Last edited by Krypton_Blaze; 06-03-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:29 AM

2013 GL350
Exclamation Still open

Bumpty bump bum !!

Any REAL takers on the questions? Someone who actually has experience with Bluetecs ?
Old 06-05-2024, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Krypton_Blaze
Bumpty bump bum !!

Any REAL takers on the questions? Someone who actually has experience with Bluetecs ?
Try the diesel section. You will get more people with diesel problems....err, I mean answers.
The following users liked this post:
Krypton_Blaze (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 07:59 AM

2013 GL350
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Try the diesel section. You will get more people with diesel problems....err, I mean answers.
Ok. Thank you.