GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

GL63 Ordering Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by JAQ1
Hi Fab

Catching up finally on the thread from the beginning. Wow. Very long wait most of you have had. Frustrating, I'm sure.

I've ordered my GL63 in Steel Gray with Black/Piano Black, but wavering toward Auburn Brown. When you say the Designo Black feels sexy, are you talking about the quilted version or the AMG version? If quilted, how does the AMG version compare in feel?

Thanks! So hard to get information. I love my SA in SA, TX, but it's not an AMG center and he has a hard time getting answers to my questions.
The AMG version and the quilted version - the leather is the same just the design is different.

You are right about getting information from sales associates - My experience is that most don't know much and don't care to learn. It has nothing to do about being or not being an AMG center.

I know more about the GL550/63 and the new S class than most of the sales associates. The reason I do is that I want to know and learn. The sad thing is despite not knowing much they make up most of the story as they go along just to get a deposit.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 63, Ferrari California, Tesla Model S
Yes, I have been very impressed with your knowledge of the car. The dealer here in Austin, as I think you know, is terrible. I use the SA, TX one because he was so helpful in finding a GL550 for me three years ago, when Austin couldn't care less about helping me.

But, we still haven't discussed price/discount/trade-in on my 550.

So in your opinion, is the black leather "Italian sexy" as Fab states?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Yes, I have been very impressed with your knowledge of the car. The dealer here in Austin, as I think you know, is terrible. I use the SA, TX one because he was so helpful in finding a GL550 for me three years ago, when Austin couldn't care less about helping me.

But, we still haven't discussed price/discount/trade-in on my 550.

So in your opinion, is the black leather "Italian sexy" as Fab states?
I do know the dealer in Austin. DFW area is the same and that's why I have 2 orders with MB of Georgetown.

Designo - I ordered black interior on both GL63 and S550. I initially had porcelain on the GL but later switched to black as it is more elegant. I saw black interior in a ML63 and I have to agree its very nice. You won't be disappointed with Black.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
JAQ1:

If I recall correctly from some earlier posts, you could actually special order the quilted pattern for the designo leather for the GL63 (i.e., the same as the GL550 designo).

Sam:

We are finally, finally, finally into our first day into MY14 production!!! We are getting close . . .

Kind regards
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by South Ocean1
JAQ1:

If I recall correctly from some earlier posts, you could actually special order the quilted pattern for the designo leather for the GL63 (i.e., the same as the GL550 designo).

Sam:

We are finally, finally, finally into our first day into MY14 production!!! We are getting close . . .

Kind regards
Hmmm...that is something I will have to look into then.

And, happy birthday to me! GL63 goes into production and Rick Perry is not running for governor. Hallelujah!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 PM

GL 550
take delivery of 2013 or wait for 2014?

Hey everybody, it's been awhile. I've been busy working and traveling so I stopped spending time worrying about whether a 2013 would arrive and what I would do if it did. Well, it's here, and now I have to decide. For those of you who haven't read the previous 755 posts in this thread, I was the guy who spent last winter/spring searching nationwide for an unallocated 2013 GL 63. I eventually found an out-of-state dealer with an allocation that they hadn't bothered to sell because they figured the dealership's owner would keep it for himself or they'd mark it up and sell it off the lot in a day (major metropolitan area with lots of idiots like me who would overpay for the world's fastest soccer-mom mobile....but I digress). Anyway, I talked them into giving me that build which was supposed to be first decade of May, then came the delays which are discussed endlessly in this thread, but, lo and behold, it's finally here.

So do I take delivery or let it go and wait for a 2014? If I had stayed on top of this and locked in a 2014 allocation already AND I had confidence that the 2014's weren't going to get delayed too, I think I would wait. But I have neither. I do have a bird in hand....but it's a bird about to take a vicious depreciation hit....but it's a beautiful bird.

I'm very conflicted as you can see but I think I'm going to go pick this thing up. JAQ1, mine is steel grey with auburn brown interior and walnut trim. AMG performance wheel, red brake calipers, trailer hitch, rear shade. No B&O sound, no night view assist, and no entertainment prewire (my kids are 100% iPads for their entertainment). I think the grey on brown turned out really nice, though it's hard to get a sense of the grey in the light of this shot.

Feedback welcome.
Attached Thumbnails GL63 Ordering Information-20130708_175735.jpg   GL63 Ordering Information-20130708_180631.jpg  

Last edited by 1Adam12; 07-08-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 PM

Oh, my, that looks very nice in the brown interior. I love that big thick AMG wheel. Are you sure that's the walnut? It doesn't look nearly as shiny as the configurator or the walnut in my 550. Which I love. It's why I'm looking at the Satin Ash. What color is the seat stitching? Do you know if you can choose the stitching color? And are the carpets and mats still black, or do they match the leather?

I gave up my rear sear entertainment option too. DVDs are a pain and they all have iPads or laptops if they really want a DVD option. Plus, those screens are always in the way. I love the Durango flip screens.

Are they willing to deal since the '14s just went into production? I'd think they should, but from what I've read not many do and with so few maybe no incentive to.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 PM

GL 550
Agree that the auburn brown leather is really sharp. The trim is definitely walnut. My 2010 GL 550 has the lighter trim and I was sick of it. The walnut may be shinier than it looks in these photos sent to me by the dealer. I haven't seen it in person yet. PM me your email address and I'll send you the high-res photos from the dealer. That stitching definitely looks white to me and I can't say I'm a fan of it. Definitely weren't stitching color options though. Can't quite tell about the color of the mats but my guess is that they're a really dark brown that complements the auburn.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1Adam12
Hey everybody, it's been awhile. I've been busy working and traveling so I stopped spending time worrying about whether a 2013 would arrive and what I would do if it did. Well, it's here, and now I have to decide. For those of you who haven't read the previous 755 posts in this thread, I was the guy who spent last winter/spring searching nationwide for an unallocated 2013 GL 63. I eventually found an out-of-state dealer with an allocation that they hadn't bothered to sell because they figured the dealership's owner would keep it for himself or they'd mark it up and sell it off the lot in a day (major metropolitan area with lots of idiots like me who would overpay for the world's fastest soccer-mom mobile....but I digress). Anyway, I talked them into giving me that build which was supposed to be first decade of May, then came the delays which are discussed endlessly in this thread, but, lo and behold, it's finally here.

So do I take delivery or let it go and wait for a 2014? If I had stayed on top of this and locked in a 2014 allocation already AND I had confidence that the 2014's weren't going to get delayed too, I think I would wait. But I have neither. I do have a bird in hand....but it's a bird about to take a vicious depreciation hit....but it's a beautiful bird.

I'm very conflicted as you can see but I think I'm going to go pick this thing up. JAQ1, mine is steel grey with auburn brown interior and walnut trim. AMG performance wheel, red brake calipers, trailer hitch, rear shade. No B&O sound, no night view assist, and no entertainment prewire (my kids are 100% iPads for their entertainment). I think the grey on brown turned out really nice, though it's hard to get a sense of the grey in the light of this shot.

Feedback welcome.
Adam: I would wait to get a 2014 since they will be here in a month. The GL63 availability has changed since we started the process. I think you should have no problem getting a 2014 that's scheduled for July production. If you do end up taking the 2013 - don't pay more than the MSRP.
2014's are not delayed despite what the sales associate tells you. Production for the 2014 have already started. Also the 2013s were not delayed either - MB was making 2013s all along - just not for the US. In fact all 2013s were produced on schedule. Call around for a 2014 July production and see what your options are and then decide before blindly placing your trust in a sales associate who is not looking out for you.

JAQ1: You cannot choose the stitch color. Also I am not aware of a way to special order the quilted seats on a GL63. The reason I say that is sales associates mostly go by options listed in the Netstar system. The special order options are listed but quilted seats are not one of them. I have not yet seen quilted seats in a GL63 or a ML63. I am sure if it was available someone would have already ordered it. The only way I see it happening if they call the factory and have it added. My understanding is that dealerships can't or really don't like to call the factory for anything - they have to go through the factory rep. Let us know what your dealer tells you.

I doubt dealers are dealing or discounting the 2013s because they can always sell it to another person. IMO they should because even though there is a demand - its not as high as we originally thought and 2014s will be arriving soon. Despite this they will probably still demand MSRP.

Last edited by sam9187; 07-09-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Still in VPC
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Sam: Thanks. I think I'll stick with standard seats anyway. Still haven't settled on leather color. Hope to check out different options even if in an ML or other Mb and make a decision in the next week or so.

Do you know if there's a badge delete option?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
The trim is definitely walnut.
Must be the picture, but it sure looks like the satin finish as opposed to the high gloss of the walnut.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Must be the picture, but it sure looks like the satin finish as opposed to the high gloss of the walnut.
i agree!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63

Feedback welcome.
Adam12:

I am of the view that since this is the build you wanted (i.e., color and options), you should go with the MY13 provided they sell it to you at (or near) MSRP.

I don't think you will take much of a depreciation hit for some time since there are so few MY13 GL63s that the few used that eventually come on the market will be priced high and sold quickly. You can see that now with the MY13 GL550s, where the used versions are priced at a surprisingly modest discount from list - and while scarce, there are a lot more GL550s out there than GL63s.

I also think that if you move to a MY14, you will need to be prepared to wait for several months to get it. I think most of the early MY14 builds are roll over orders from 2013, and most are spoken for. As with the MY13s, you could probably find a few that are not spoken for yet, but you would not be able to adjust the build at this late date and you will still pay MSRP. I agree with Sam that MB will eventually make enough GL63s to meet US demand, but where Sam and I may differ is that I don't think we are there yet as evidenced by many MB dealers only getting their first allocation of a GL63 in late fall. And I know there is a waiting list at my dealer and I am sure at most others. My guess is that it will take the better part of the year to work through those already on the wait list across the country.

Adam12, sooner or later we will all take the massive depreciation hit on these - but at least it will be a fun ride! I am excited to be getting my early MY14 but fast forward 9 months and this forum will be talking about the MY15 orders and the deprecation march (like father time) will hit me too . . .

Hope that helps. That is a sharp looking GL from the photos (although I also think it looks like Satin Ash trim which I think works better with the Auburn Brown).

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Kind regards
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sam: Thanks. I think I'll stick with standard seats anyway. Still haven't settled on leather color. Hope to check out different options even if in an ML or other Mb and make a decision in the next week or so.

Do you know if there's a badge delete option?
There is no option for badge delete in the Netstar system but it can be done. The way to do it is to type in the comment section to "Badge delete GL 63 and AMG badges". I would ask them to request the badges be placed in the car - maybe the glove compartment so that you have them in case you change your mind later.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by South Ocean1
Adam12:

I am of the view that since this is the build you wanted (i.e., color and options), you should go with the MY13 provided they sell it to you at (or near) MSRP.

I don't think you will take much of a depreciation hit for some time since there are so few MY13 GL63s that the few used that eventually come on the market will be priced high and sold quickly. You can see that now with the MY13 GL550s, where the used versions are priced at a surprisingly modest discount from list - and while scarce, there are a lot more GL550s out there than GL63s.

I also think that if you move to a MY14, you will need to be prepared to wait for several months to get it. I think most of the early MY14 builds are roll over orders from 2013, and most are spoken for. As with the MY13s, you could probably find a few that are not spoken for yet, but you would not be able to adjust the build at this late date and you will still pay MSRP. I agree with Sam that MB will eventually make enough GL63s to meet US demand, but where Sam and I may differ is that I don't think we are there yet as evidenced by many MB dealers only getting their first allocation of a GL63 in late fall. And I know there is a waiting list at my dealer and I am sure at most others. My guess is that it will take the better part of the year to work through those already on the wait list across the country.

Adam12, sooner or later we will all take the massive depreciation hit on these - but at least it will be a fun ride! I am excited to be getting my early MY14 but fast forward 9 months and this forum will be talking about the MY15 orders and the deprecation march (like father time) will hit me too . . .

Hope that helps. That is a sharp looking GL from the photos (although I also think it looks like Satin Ash trim which I think works better with the Auburn Brown).

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Kind regards
I can go either way on my suggestion. At this time I am so tired of waiting that I was thinking of taking the 2013 that I was offered today. I did not take it and will wait for the 2014 but I can understand if you go for the 2013. Since I have had a chance to buy a 2013 GL63 on 5 separate occasions my view on the availability is little different. Just today I received a text to buy a GL63 from local DFW dealer. If there was a list or line at this particular dealer (which according to them was 7 or 8) then how come I get offered every allocation they get. They eventually sell it but still proves my point that the car was not sold when it came in.

There have been many cars listed on cars.com that were not sold at the time of the listing. Also GL63 was only released in the US on Feb 16 but first production was not until March and those cars were not released until April. The 2013 production was 4 months long and thus the GL63 cannot be compared to the 550 which had a full production cycle. I am not saying that the GL63 is not in demand or that they are sitting on the lot for months. All I am saying is that the demand is not what we or at least I thought originally. Initially the thought was - every GL63 on order was per-sold which clearly is not the case.

Last edited by sam9187; 07-09-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I am having a genuine chuckle - thanks for the humor - freaky !
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
You are welcome. I am glad we are providing entertainment for you.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 AM

GL 550
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Sorry for the misinformation, y'all are correct, that's satin ash. Thought I'd ordered walnut, dealer says I didn't, but this combo looks good, yes?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Sorry for the misinformation, y'all are correct, that's satin ash. Thought I'd ordered walnut, dealer says I didn't, but this combo looks good, yes?
YES! That's what I think I'm going to order. Just haven't been able to see it in any pictures or in person. My dealer doesn't even have a sample of the brown leather or the satin ash. Only the black and black. Can't decide...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM

GL 550
might sound silly but I was chatting about this with my tailor and he pointed out how sharp a light grey suit can look with cognac shoes and belt. Great combo as long as the grey and the brown aren't too dark. brown on grey is a classic pairing for British sports cars too, e.g. the Aston Martin in the Bond film Skyfall. another example in my mind is the Lexus SC430 my buddy acquired when it debuted; his was a silvery gray with "baseball" leather and it looked awesome.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM

might sound silly but I was chatting about this with my tailor and he pointed out how sharp a light grey suit can look with cognac shoes and belt. Great combo as long as the grey and the brown aren't too dark. brown on grey is a classic pairing for British sports cars too, e.g. the Aston Martin in the Bond film Skyfall. another example in my mind is the Lexus SC430 my buddy acquired when it debuted; his was a silvery gray with "baseball" leather and it looked awesome.
So does this mean that the stitching in light grey? That's sounds perfect esp with the steel grey exterior.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM

GL 550
no, I was referring to the leather. AFAIK the stitching is white unfortunately, but I'll know for sure soon enough and will keep you posted.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
As you seem to have some insider knowledge, can you please explain the humor you see above? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:18 PM

no, I was referring to the leather. AFAIK the stitching is white unfortunately, but I'll know for sure soon enough and will keep you posted.
So have you decided to take it? I think I would. If you hold it for 3-4 years, as we do, it doesn't really matter about the first year's dip anyway. Except that when you go to trade it in, no matter what, it's a '13, not a '14, even as late as it was built which always sucks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL63 Ordering Information