GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

FRESH ‘18 GLS63 AMG Owner Here!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 Mercedes GLS63 AMG
FRESH ‘18 GLS63 AMG Owner Here!

I am brand new to the AMG family and need to pick your expert brains on maintenance, what to look for or expect with this Beast and any additional advice to keep it running healthy.

I live in the South suburbs of Chicago and looking for any good referrals for service shops with good AMG skilled mechanics.

My 2018 has 41k miles and I just purchased yesterday. Looking for an extended warranty currently ( going to call Jeff Jackson @ Mercedes who seems to have great history here on the forums from my brief search ) and would like to have the car inspected maybe from Mercedes or a reputable AMG tech.
It’s drives great but I feel a slight hiccup while it cruises lower speeds between shifting in COMFORT mode… This normal?

In sport mode, it breathes great and very responsive. Shifting seems sharp.

Would you recommend bringing to a local mercedes dealer to have inspected and see what comes up or go to a reputable mechanic who specializes in AMG / Imports?

I’m thrilled and proud to own such an amazing piece of machinery, but I want to be sure I keep it maintained properly to enjoy for years to come.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Porsche
Congratulations on your purchase. I also picked up a 2018 GLS63. My experience is not so good with it (just posted). I would get an extended warranty ASAP. My car has already had ~$8-9k worth of work done to it, some of which was under warranty and some of it was passed off to me. Also keep in mind that the CPO warranty won't cover annoying thing like seat rattles/squeaks, front bumper sensor issues, etc. Dealers in my area charge a "diagnostic" fee of $390 just to look at your car and read codes.

Make friends with an independent shop to do routine maintenance such as oil changes, brake changes, and tire work. There is a great DIY on this site on how to change rotors/pads. I did it this weekend and it took me less than 2 hours to do the rears for the first time, including setting up, jacking the car, and cleaning up (I have some experience with similar brake systems in other cars). Total cost was <$300 vs. $1100 at trusty indy and $1800+ at dealer.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,520 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Check out this for known and ongoing knowledge base related to the m157 engine

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-w212-amg.html
Old 02-28-2023, 01:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Check out this for known and ongoing knowledge base related to the m157 engine

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-w212-amg.html
That list says it all. In 1 year of service I've had my GLS towed more than all of my many vehicles combined over 28 years of owning car (I currently own 5). Put that in perspective.

I previously owned a C63 and the ownership experience wasn't great. I should have known. Sorry to rain on your parade - my experience with Mercedes is terrible. The dealer experience is worse than at Ford and quite frankly, it's obvious in everything that Mercedes does that they are somehow living on a fake brand image vs. quality. My Ford app is FREE and works flawlessly. Not so much the Mercedes app that you pay money for.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350, GL 450, GLS 63
CPO just replaced all my PDC centers on the front.

Originally Posted by tripitz
Congratulations on your purchase. I also picked up a 2018 GLS63. My experience is not so good with it (just posted). I would get an extended warranty ASAP. My car has already had ~$8-9k worth of work done to it, some of which was under warranty and some of it was passed off to me. Also keep in mind that the CPO warranty won't cover annoying thing like seat rattles/squeaks, front bumper sensor issues, etc. Dealers in my area charge a "diagnostic" fee of $390 just to look at your car and read codes.

Make friends with an independent shop to do routine maintenance such as oil changes, brake changes, and tire work. There is a great DIY on this site on how to change rotors/pads. I did it this weekend and it took me less than 2 hours to do the rears for the first time, including setting up, jacking the car, and cleaning up (I have some experience with similar brake systems in other cars). Total cost was <$300 vs. $1100 at trusty indy and $1800+ at dealer.