GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

Halogen Headlight Bulb Replacement

Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by Boris_Balkan
I am almost finished completing an entire OEM LED/Bi-xenon headlight swap on GLAowners forum. I started the thread here: http://www.glaowners.com/forum/merce...w-project.html

I will be updating with pictures and necessary info soon. Just have one more issue to sort out, but so far, it has not been as bad as many might anticipate.
WOW ! Amazing.

Please keep us updated
Old 02-12-2015, 07:01 AM

Mercedes CLA250 4Matic
Originally Posted by yuzone
Hi Ansron,

They did work good without any resistor. Basically it's a straight plug & play.

But unfortunately the car gonna lose the High-beam with these plug & play LEDs.

Here are some photos :
Thanks yuzone for the info. I was following the link you posted for the LED bulb and the description said it should be "functional for high beam". So from what you said, the LED will not be bright enough for high beam mode, correct? That's a bummer...
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 PM

2015 GLA 250
did you guys remove the bumper to get to the low beam ?? i know the high is more in the open.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:34 AM

GLA 250
Verdict

So if we are stuck with the halogens and want a cheap, easy improvement what is the best solution?

Sounds like Diamond Vision bulb for the H7 low beam, but what about the running light/high beam? Yuzone, can you be more specific on the pros/cons of the LED H15 bulb? Do you completely lose high beams? Because the product says it does do high beams. It was tough to figure out what was going on in the pictures you sent. Has anyone else come up with their own solutions?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:51 PM

W213
Originally Posted by Ansron
Thanks yuzone for the info. I was following the link you posted for the LED bulb and the description said it should be "functional for high beam". So from what you said, the LED will not be bright enough for high beam mode, correct? That's a bummer...

Hi Ansron

Correct.. the $40 plug & play H15 LED could not produce light with enough lumen to serve as high-beam.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM

W213
Originally Posted by MagnumPE
So if we are stuck with the halogens and want a cheap, easy improvement what is the best solution?

Sounds like Diamond Vision bulb for the H7 low beam, but what about the running light/high beam? Yuzone, can you be more specific on the pros/cons of the LED H15 bulb? Do you completely lose high beams? Because the product says it does do high beams. It was tough to figure out what was going on in the pictures you sent. Has anyone else come up with their own solutions?
Hey Mag,

The H15 LEDs does not work for highbeam. If you turn on high-bream with them, you get a very scattered light output ... and the bulbs can 'temporary burn out' for several minutes if you lig them with higheam mode for more than 10 seconds.

As for the H7, Diamond Vision does gives our Low Beams a nice HID-like looking, but its light output is actually not on par with the OEM halogen bulbs....

You'll notice the difference when driving at night -- especially when it's raining...

As it being said, I switched out the Diamond Vision and put in a H7 LED Conversion Kit from Amazon. ($80), vision got much improved...
Somehow low beam reflector housing of GLA has a very nice cutoff line , hence the LED bulb doesn't blind oncoming traffic if aimed correctly, I never got flashed or highbeamed by other car on road with LED installed.

Last edited by yuzone; 06-22-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:10 PM

GLA 250
Hey Mag,

The H15 LEDs does not work for highbeam. If you turn on high-bream with them, you get a very scattered light output ... and the bulbs can 'temporary burn out' for several minutes if you lig them with higheam mode for more than 10 seconds.

As for the H7, Diamond Vision does gives our Low Beams a nice HID-like looking, but its light output is actually not on par with the OEM halogen bulbs....

You'll notice the difference when driving at night -- especially when it's raining...

As it being said, I switched out the Diamond Vision and put in a H7 LED Conversion Kit from Amazon. ($80), vision got much improved...
Somehow low beam reflector housing of GLA has a very nice cutoff line , hence the LED bulb doesn't blind oncoming traffic if aimed correctly, I never got flashed or highbeamed by other car on road with LED installed.
Thanks for the info, Yuzone. Which H7 kit did you end up picking, there are so many out there? And what are you using for your DRL now? That's probably the one that bothers me more.

I've been checking other forums, and Golf owners have been complaining about the H15/DRL problem for years - so we're probably stuck with it. I had to have 19's and Keyless Go, but didn't really want to pay for Nav (or wait). My car has everything I wanted except the bi-Xenons and nothing I didn't want to pay for. Maybe I can learn to love her for who she is...
Old 06-28-2015, 12:21 AM

GLA 250
I decided to give the Diamond Vision a try for lowbeams anyway - they look great. I think the color gives it an illusion of brightness, so I'm satisfied for now.

I also tried the LED H15 bulbs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ662OW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ662OW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
and got a different result. They worked well as running lights, and shined bright and steady for high beams. Maybe they don't penetrate correctly like a true high beam, but the LED high beam I had was plenty bright, and brighter than the stock. I held it on for over a minute with no flicker. I was totally happy with both bulbs - thought mission accomplished and closed the hood.

Turned the car on to check again, and the LED DRLs start blinking at me and the dash goes haywire with lighting error messages. I've done quite a bit of looking, and can't figure out or find a resistor that works with the H15 bulb, which kind of spin-snaps into its plug with a 1/4 turn. It is not something that looks like you can daisy chain a resistor to. Anyone run into this for needing a resistor and have an install solution? Or a better solution to have white DRL and functional high beams?
Attached Thumbnails Halogen Headlight Bulb Replacement-dsc05640.jpg   Halogen Headlight Bulb Replacement-dsc05642.jpg  
Old 12-05-2015, 09:27 PM

15 Glk 250
Halogen headlight bulb

Hi Ansron,

They did work good without any resistor. Basically it's a straight plug & play.

But unfortunately the car gonna lose the High-beam with these plug & play LEDs.

Here are some photos :
Yuzone-are the replacement lights bright enough to take the place of high beams?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:08 PM

2010 ML 350
Originally Posted by Hector Martinez
Yuzone-are the replacement lights bright enough to take the place of high beams?
As another user mentioned, the DRL is also the Hi Beam, so if you replace the bulb with one of those Cree LED bulbs, you will lose the Hi-Beam effect, but who uses Hi-Beams ??? I did that sacrifice and don't regret it. I prefer having a smooth, white and bright looking DRL.

So this is your call, and no errors as long as you install the bulbs correctly, a simple plug-and-play.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:54 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Any LEDs in forward projection will have reduced throw distance and light scatter in housings not designed to capture that specific LED pattern. This is why we don't recommend LEDs for low beams and high beams. That said, if there's enough interest in these H15s for DRL function, understanding the limitation, we can create something that will have at least better light distribution than the model Yuzone used.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:49 AM

W213
Originally Posted by MagnumPE
Thanks for the info, Yuzone. Which H7 kit did you end up picking, there are so many out there? And what are you using for your DRL now? That's probably the one that bothers me more.

I've been checking other forums, and Golf owners have been complaining about the H15/DRL problem for years - so we're probably stuck with it. I had to have 19's and Keyless Go, but didn't really want to pay for Nav (or wait). My car has everything I wanted except the bi-Xenons and nothing I didn't want to pay for. Maybe I can learn to love her for who she is...
Hi,

Glad to see the thread is still alive, and sry for the late reply

The H7 LED Convention Kit I installed was purchased from Amazon, the seller was Sirius LED. It has been working good w/o any issue since installed 6 months ago. Somehow the kit I purchased isn't available anymore, but it looks similar to this one:

Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H7 - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H7 - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive

As for the H15, the plug&play ones that can only be used as DRL burned out after 2 months, so I switched back to GP Thunder Xenon White Halogen bulbs.

I even spent $80 to purchased these new toys:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1set-...474123756.html

They would be a perfect solution for the H15 DRL+Highbeam, if their base isn't that large.... I couldn't find a way to install them without taking out the entire headlamp cluster.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:51 AM

W213
Originally Posted by Hector Martinez
Nope, they're not.

The light pattern is very scattered in both DRL / Highbeam mode.

If you put on highbeam for a few seconds, the bulbs will just burn out . . .
Old 12-28-2015, 10:57 AM

W213
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Any LEDs in forward projection will have reduced throw distance and light scatter in housings not designed to capture that specific LED pattern. This is why we don't recommend LEDs for low beams and high beams. That said, if there's enough interest in these H15s for DRL function, understanding the limitation, we can create something that will have at least better light distribution than the model Yuzone used.
Hi AZN,

I love your products!

I purchased your error-free 3457 LEDs for the GLA's front blinkers and 7507 LEDs for rear blinkers, they both work perfectly

Before finding your store, I wasted money on 3457 and 7507 LEDs from JDMASTAR and iJDMTOY, none of the bulbs I purchased from them worked
Old 01-07-2016, 03:25 AM

Mercedes CLA250 4Matic
Hey All, I found these special H15 LED kit on Amazon, seems to have dedicated LED for low beam and high beam mode + heat sink:

http://smile.amazon.com/AutoEC-Speci...autoec+h15+led

Haven't bought them yet since it's kinda expensive... No reviews and no idea if it works well. FYI if there are any adventurers out there!
Old 02-19-2016, 02:55 PM

2008 cl63 amg/2015 gla250 4matic
why nobody installed HID ? i installed mine cheaper and brighter than LED , i need to find which is good for the DRL
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 PM

2016 GLA 250
Smile

Hi All,

I joined GLA250 family recently and it is fantastic so far. Im planning to change my Halogen bulbs and require some help.

1) Low beam - I replaced them with this.
Amazon Amazon

2) Hi Beam and DRL : I'm looking for H15 bulbs to plug and play without doing any other changes. As jillnet said, if Im having white DRL, i can compromise on Hi beam power as i dont use it at all.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Vinny250; 02-19-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 AM

GLA 220D
Originally Posted by BlackieAMG
why nobody installed HID ? i installed mine cheaper and brighter than LED , i need to find which is good for the DRL
Which HID did you use and please send me pics of how it looks, please email me on moomi1069@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by Moomi
Which HID did you use and please send me pics of how it looks, please email me on moomi1069@gmail.com

This kit will work perfectly for your GLA: http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=118