GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

Love it, but...

Old 01-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLA 250
Love it, but...

I love my new GLA 250. I actually traded in a 2014 BMW X1 for it. The Beemer was quicker and more fun to drive but not constructed to the same quality standard as the GLA.

My only issues so far are the small gas tank and the difficult to use Becker navigation system. I've had several cars with navigation systems all were easier to use.

gburandt
Colorado
Old 01-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 GLA250 4Matic, '13 GLK 4Matic (wife's), '01 Porsche Boxster S, 1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan
Becker navigation horrid to use

I couldn't agree with you more on complexity of Becker system. We've had it for some time in my wife's GLK and now in my GLA. At first it was a real PITA, but now I've kinda gotten used to its quirks. Still can't understand the logic of asking for state, then street address, before zip code or city name. Would make more sense to me to enter zip code first, or at least state/city.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
I second your comments on the Becker system. My C250 has it. My ML350 has the regular Command system with navigation, and the Becker system to me is more much complicated than it needs to be.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM

GLA 250
Originally Posted by gburandt
I love my new GLA 250. I actually traded in a 2014 BMW X1 for it. The Beemer was quicker and more fun to drive but not constructed to the same quality standard as the GLA.

My only issues so far are the small gas tank and the difficult to use Becker navigation system. I've had several cars with navigation systems all were easier to use.

gburandt
Colorado
Originally Posted by Boxster986S
I couldn't agree with you more on complexity of Becker system. We've had it for some time in my wife's GLK and now in my GLA. At first it was a real PITA, but now I've kinda gotten used to its quirks. Still can't understand the logic of asking for state, then street address, before zip code or city name. Would make more sense to me to enter zip code first, or at least state/city.
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
I second your comments on the Becker system. My C250 has it. My ML350 has the regular Command system with navigation, and the Becker system to me is more much complicated than it needs to be.

I've got the Becker, and it is definitely quirky when compared to the other Nav systems I have had over the years. Having said that, there's nothing that complicated that can't be learned very quickly.

Honestly, Mercedes, and all German cars, have their quirks when it comes to other systems; i.e. cruise control, wipers, turn signals, lights, etc. Having owned mainly Japanese cars, but coming from a MINI Cooper, things tend to be more complicated than they really need to be.

Why can't I manually control my headlights? There is no "Off" button.

My car was delivered on Friday, and spent some time on Saturday afternoon sitting in the car with the manual. I pretty much have the Becker system figured out.

Not trying to be a Becker "Fan boy", but it's what I have to play with. In a perfect world, I would have gotten the MultiMedia package with the factory nav, but there were no vehicles in inventory with the color and other options I wanted. Honestly, other than the nav system with the 7" screen, there was nothing else in the package I cared for, let alone could justify paying the extra $1,600 for. Still, if it had been available, I would have purchased it.

Like everything else in life, it just takes a little time to get accustomed to the system.

Last edited by gurneyeagle; 01-22-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
That's why i with with the full navigation package, heard bad things about becker.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM

GLA 250
Originally Posted by kozak79
That's why i with with the full navigation package, heard bad things about becker.

I played around with the Becker system last night. It's a little different from the Nissan, Toyota and Honda systems I have used in the past, but I wouldn't describe it as "difficult". All three of those systems are vastly different in operation and features.

Again, as a $1,600 less expensive alternative to the Multimedia package, I think it's a good deal. Its not the same system as what comes in that package, but other than the actual nav software package and the 7" screen, I find it hard to justify that price difference for ME.

Yes, I did state that if the Multimedia Package was available on the car I wanted, I would have purchased it, but that wasn't the case. There is just nothing to be scared of with the Becker.

You really can't go wrong either way.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 GLA250 4Matic, '13 GLK 4Matic (wife's), '01 Porsche Boxster S, 1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan
Hope I didn't give the impression Becker system is horrible, it's not. I just found it less intuitive than other systems I've had in other cars. It hasn't steered me wrong on directions and there are features I actually like that weren't on other systems. For example pointing to a spot on a map and having it direct you there. I have a relative who's address in the mountains of Virginia won't show up on any navigation system or even MapQuest. I use the map function to pick out a state highway intersection nearby.

One quirk that annoyed me before I figured it out was volume. I could not find a volume function in the navigation system menus and the documentation in the MB manual was lacking. Finally figured out that you have to change the audio volume using the steering wheel or sound system knob while the navigation system is speaking. Probably intuitive for most people to change volume that way, but I'm an OCD engineer and figured there had to be a menu item for it.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 AM

GLA 250
Originally Posted by Boxster986S
Hope I didn't give the impression Becker system is horrible, it's not. I just found it less intuitive than other systems I've had in other cars. It hasn't steered me wrong on directions and there are features I actually like that weren't on other systems. For example pointing to a spot on a map and having it direct you there. I have a relative who's address in the mountains of Virginia won't show up on any navigation system or even MapQuest. I use the map function to pick out a state highway intersection nearby.

One quirk that annoyed me before I figured it out was volume. I could not find a volume function in the navigation system menus and the documentation in the MB manual was lacking. Finally figured out that you have to change the audio volume using the steering wheel or sound system knob while the navigation system is speaking. Probably intuitive for most people to change volume that way, but I'm an OCD engineer and figured there had to be a menu item for it.

No worries from me. I agree that it is quirky, but once you learn it, it isn't bad, just different. The drill downs to the sub-menus are what confuse me right now, especially loading a destination and immediately saving it. I guess my biggest problem is that I really don't use it that often so getting familiar with everything takes longer than someone who uses it everyday. Not much different from learning a new software system at work.

Honestly, all three nav systems I've had before were different. The system in my 370Z was the same way as far as changing the volume.

I do think it could be a lot easier/user friendly. I could make that same statement for the Honda system as well. So far, I have to say Toyota's has been the easiest/most intuitive for me.