No voice guidance '21 GLA35 after maps update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2021 GLA35 AMG
No voice guidance '21 GLA35 after maps update

Hi all!
I have a 2021GLA35 with 10k on board and due to life decisions I took the car to Europe. Here I uploaded the EU maps at a big local dealership. All went well without a error code and the maps loaded ok. But I do not have voice navigation guidance no matter what I do or change. Germans at MB were asked for help and they sent some advice, re-loaded the maps again but still the same: no voice guidance. Found a forum mentioning capacitors that need to be discharged (disconnect battery completely and touch plus and minus cables while pressing start button) after battery runs low which happened awhile ago sitting inside the garage. Not very comfortable doing that yet. Any advice? Thanks
Old 05-07-2024, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,558 Posts
2019 C63CS
As far as I know, the voice data is a separate file that goes along with the maps. It's always updated as part of a map update and I'm guessing it has to be consistent with the system languages. I see you are in France, so I'm assuming they uploaded the French voice data. Is your system also in French now, or is French even one of the language options you can select? Don't know where you moved from, but not all languages are available for all regions.

FWIW, I did European Delivery with my car and MB had loaded the European maps and then once the car arrived in the USA, they loaded the NA maps. However, I didn't use it for navigation while I was in Europe, because Mercedes me cannot be activated outside of the region that the car was originally sold in and therefore there was no live traffic data. So I don't actually know what language the voice guidance would have been in. You'll face the same thing even if you get past the voice guidance issue. Navigation these days is kinda useless without live traffic, so I just used CarPlay and Google Maps during the trip. But having the European maps installed helped with the driving assistance features to make sure things like traffic sign recognition etc, worked correctly.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-07-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2021 GLA35 AMG
Thanks for your insight into this. Car came from Canada but Mercedes me worked after I brought it here. And I can switch between English or French on diplay no problem. Cold be a glitch in Navi due to fact that once I left the battery go too low? I am puzzled because they did not get any error code after uploading the EU maps twice. This should normally be such an easy thing to do. When you had the EU maps loaded on your car, did you have voice guidance but no traffic updates? Not using this too much only in some remote mountain locations when I go skiing where internet signal is very weak. Chers!
Old 05-08-2024, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,558 Posts
2019 C63CS
That's interesting that Mercedes me is working. My understand was that NA-spec cars don't roam to other continents. They may cut you off eventually if they see you racking up roaming charges on their side, or you may not be able to renew the subscription.

As said, I didn't actually use it for navigation, because of the lack of live traffic, so I don't even know if there would have been voice guidance.