GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

gla45 amg or audi s4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2014 | 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F150
gla45 amg or audi s4

Hi guys. Newb here. I've been cross shopping the gla45 and the Audi S4. This is going to b my every day vehicle. I'm in WV. So I need the AWD for the winters. I ski, hunt, fish, golf etc. that's prob only 25% of my use ... 75% being everyday commuting. I need a well rounded vehicle with reasonable back seat space. The S4 beat the CLA quite a bit in rear space, which is why i chose to look at the GLA over the CLA. I really prefer the Audi interior quality and fit/finish quality over the GLA45. But I just love the looks of the gla amg and hatch qualities. The gla also has slightly more seat room for adult sized passengers in the rear. Performance wise they r both monsters in their own way. I'm not sure how winter/snow performance will b in each. I read the Quattro AWD system is superior to the 4matic. But imagine both would do well in snow and ice with proper winter tires. Does anyone here have any opinions, thoughts, preference on the two? In addition I'm getting a nearly identical deal on both cars... So price point is even.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-21-2014 | 07:02 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
In a MB forum, you're likely going to get the opinion you expected.

With that said, the GLA does have better ground clearance than the S4 by nature of it's "sorta-kinda-wannabe-SUV-stance", so if you're going to be tramping through the woods, the GLA will do better.

The GLA will also have better gas mileage, by nature of it's 4-cylinder, assuming you're not into the loud pedal ALL the time.

Then again, give the S4 a nice ribbon of highway, and I think you'll like being coddled by the S4 more than the GLA. But I guarantee you, you won't get as many curious/jealous stares.

I did like the GLA during my test drive of it a while back. Felt like my CLA45 except riding higher.. and definitely a more useable back half the vehicle. But.. the back half the CLA just looks 500x better, IMHO.
Old 12-23-2014 | 01:55 AM
OBP

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
My guess is the GLA 45 will be fine in the snow - its 4matic system is somewhat FWD biased while the engine sits over the main drive wheels. I test drove 2 GLA 45s and found the turbo lag a little irritating even though they were plenty quick once spooled up. Surprised about that and seemed like the CLA 45 I test drove had less lag than the two GLAs. Wonder what are your thoughts on GLA45 turbo lag vs an S4 ?
Old 12-23-2014 | 02:23 AM

'15 C63S
S4 will have more available low RPM torque from the sheer fact that it's a six cylinder versus the A-class 4. So turbo lag is a given; the 4-banger simply needs to spool the turbo to produce the power. "There's no replacement for displacement," as people say.

If you're used to V6/V8 responsiveness right from the throttle, the 4-cylinder in the A-series will dissapoint you until you accept that it's simply getting it's power differently. Some of the people have found things like Pedal Commander addresses their needs, but really all that does is simulate you pressing the pedal further initially.. so it makes the CLA45 emulate a V6.

Now that I've driven my CLA45 for six months, I've come to appreciate the duality of the engine; *****cat eco 4-cylinder getting 30+ mpg when I stay under quarter throttle (commute) and then a bat out of hell if I go WOT.
Old 12-23-2014 | 03:46 AM
OBP

Vaelin, did you notice any difference in the turbo lag between the GLA 45 you test drove and your CLA 45 ? I test drove 1 CLA and 2 GLA 45s and the GLA's seemed to have worse turbo lag. The CLA 45 seemed to have minimal lag and quite easy to deal with.
Old 12-23-2014 | 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 WRX
Originally Posted by OBP
Vaelin, did you notice any difference in the turbo lag between the GLA 45 you test drove and your CLA 45 ? I test drove 1 CLA and 2 GLA 45s and the GLA's seemed to have worse turbo lag. The CLA 45 seemed to have minimal lag and quite easy to deal with.
You guys need to get something straight. There is virtually NO TURBO LAG with these 2.0L motors. PERIOD. You are misdiagnosing the problem.

The car utilizes what is essentially a 'Frount mounted Intercooler' for the turbo system, and thus when you hit the gas pedal, there is a greater distance that the pressurized air must travel from the turbo, to the Intercooler, and then back to the intake manifold. These cars produce positive boost practically off of idle. It is NOT turbo lag. It is simple physics, and the slight delay in response is the fact that the air has a longer distance to travel than it does in a system utilizing a top mounted Intercooler.
Old 12-23-2014 | 08:37 AM

2011 WRX
Originally Posted by Fleece82
Hi guys. Newb here. I've been cross shopping the gla45 and the Audi S4. This is going to b my every day vehicle. I'm in WV. So I need the AWD for the winters. I ski, hunt, fish, golf etc. that's prob only 25% of my use ... 75% being everyday commuting. I need a well rounded vehicle with reasonable back seat space. The S4 beat the CLA quite a bit in rear space, which is why i chose to look at the GLA over the CLA. I really prefer the Audi interior quality and fit/finish quality over the GLA45. But I just love the looks of the gla amg and hatch qualities. The gla also has slightly more seat room for adult sized passengers in the rear. Performance wise they r both monsters in their own way. I'm not sure how winter/snow performance will b in each. I read the Quattro AWD system is superior to the 4matic. But imagine both would do well in snow and ice with proper winter tires. Does anyone here have any opinions, thoughts, preference on the two? In addition I'm getting a nearly identical deal on both cars... So price point is even.

Thanks guys!
Personally I think the GLA will suit your life style a little better when you are engaging in your off-road/outdoors lifestyle with its larger cargo space and higher ground clearance. That being said, the S4's interior is certainly of a higher fit/finish like you said.

Personally I woupdnt consider the 45 unless you are opting for the 'leather' covered doors and dash, along with the carbon interior trim. I have both and it honestly makes the interior look more expensive and sporty compared to the S5 I test drove.

S4 is also on its last legs as well, with a new model due in for 2016. Never a really great idea to buy the last of its kind unless it's a collector, which it certainly isn't. The next gen will be significantly lighter, better on gas, faster, probably have nicer interior features even.

One thing to keep in mind though. There was a huge study done on all of the manufacturers and the test only looked at the most catastrophic repair a car can have, I.e a full motor replacement, and while MB landed in third place after Honda and Toyota, Audi was one of the absolute worst. MB had somewhere around 1 in every 144 engines built will fail entirely, while 1 in every 27 Audi engines built failed entirely. Just some food for thought... But that is significantly higher odds that you will have to replace the engine down the road, which is quite costly in a German car lol
Old 12-23-2014 | 08:47 AM

F150
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm goin for the gla45. I do like the s4 but there is something about the gla that really makes me feel like it's "my" car from the moment I sit in the drivers seat. you guys have a great Christmas and New Years!
Old 12-23-2014 | 08:17 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by J_Maher_AMG
You guys need to get something straight. There is virtually NO TURBO LAG with these 2.0L motors. PERIOD. You are misdiagnosing the problem.

The car utilizes what is essentially a 'Frount mounted Intercooler' for the turbo system, and thus when you hit the gas pedal, there is a greater distance that the pressurized air must travel from the turbo, to the Intercooler, and then back to the intake manifold. These cars produce positive boost practically off of idle. It is NOT turbo lag. It is simple physics, and the slight delay in response is the fact that the air has a longer distance to travel than it does in a system utilizing a top mounted Intercooler.
Actually, simple physics dictates that because there is a delta air volume pushed between partial throttle and wide open throttle, and that there is distance between exhaust and routing that exhaust to the turbo, turbo lag does indeed exist. However, the noticeable and generally accepted delay between WOT and actual power delivery (the compressed charge entering intake) is typically included in the statement of 'turbo lag'.

If you wanna argue semantics, sure, it's not turbo lag. It's delayed power delivery due to turbocharged forced induction. Either way, until that increased pressure charge reaches the intake, you are still relying on the natural displacement of the engine to produce the torque to move forward.

Thus, a six cylinder turbo will experience less delay in producing torque than a four cylinder turbo.

Lag, in laymen's observation.

Anyways, great choice on the GLA Fleece, it'll be a fun vehicle to fit your needs!
Old 12-23-2014 | 09:13 PM
OBP

Originally Posted by vaelin

Well said - that is indeed what it felt like. I know I have some in the M278 4.7TT in my CLS but not much and very tolerable. (Yes I know a twin turbo is meant to take care of/minimize the lag anyway ) It just felt way more laggy in the GLA 45s and a little less laggy in the CLA 45 that I test drove and I was surprised by that.
Old 12-24-2014 | 07:37 PM

C63
GLA45 for sure
Old 12-25-2014 | 05:00 PM

2011 WRX
Originally Posted by vaelin
Actually, simple physics dictates that because there is a delta air volume pushed between partial throttle and wide open throttle, and that there is distance between exhaust and routing that exhaust to the turbo, turbo lag does indeed exist. However, the noticeable and generally accepted delay between WOT and actual power delivery (the compressed charge entering intake) is typically included in the statement of 'turbo lag'.

If you wanna argue semantics, sure, it's not turbo lag. It's delayed power delivery due to turbocharged forced induction. Either way, until that increased pressure charge reaches the intake, you are still relying on the natural displacement of the engine to produce the torque to move forward.

Thus, a six cylinder turbo will experience less delay in producing torque than a four cylinder turbo.

Anyways, great choice on the GLA Fleece, it'll be a fun vehicle to fit your needs!
Indeed you can certainly classify the throttle delay that the extra Intercooler piping causes as 'turbo lag' but it technically is not correct. It is not the turbo itself causing the delay. For example, take a top mount Intercooled car like a mazdaspeed or an STi, and floor the throttle from 4000rpms. There is almost no delay from the time you go WOT to full power delivery. Do the same thing in a 45 and there will be slightly more delay due to the extra piping.

You are correct that in general a larger displacement engine will have less difficulty producing low end torque because it has the natural advantage of its engine size to produce torque earlier without requiring the turbos to be fully spooled. Many people will also classify this is as 'turbo lag' when comparing to a smaller 4cyl turbo, when it is really simple physics. The 45's motor is quite a gem considering it produces peak torque over a very large rpm range. I've found that the power is very tractable and very useable in daily driving. It is odd unlike other turbocharged 4 cylinder cars that have a surge of torque in the mid range and fall flat as they approach redline. The 45 is very very linear in its power delivery, which makes it more akin to a naturally aspirated motor IMO compared to other turbocharged cars I've owned in the past.
Old 10-05-2015 | 10:00 PM

none
sorry to bump an old thread but i'm cross shopping the two as well. im leaning gla. any regrets?
Old 10-07-2015 | 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by okay.w0w
sorry to bump an old thread but i'm cross shopping the two as well. im leaning gla. any regrets?
Personally, I think they're pretty different in character. The S4 weighs 400 lbs more and is a far gentler ride than the AMG. Where the Audi is an across the board smooth, muscular performer, the 45 is more of a schitzo and although not as manic as the CLA, IMO more hard core than the S4. The 4 cyl makes it a more involving vehicle, one you need to think a little ahead with as opposed to just mashing it in whatever gear you happen to be in. Its a bit old school in that you never feel like your just along for the ride. Its more of a partnership. From a driving perspective, I'd say it comes down to whether you want more or less coddling with your speed. One thing to consider with the S4 is that its a bit long in the tooth with the new version not that all that far away.

From a cross shopping perspective, the S3/Golf R, to my mind, is a lot closer in character. And while the GLA is no S class in terms of build quality, I think its more solid than either of those car and I've own(ed) both (MQB A3 and an R MKVI). In the end there's really nothing like the GLA in the US. Its a very unique blend of characteristics which if you find compelling enough is really the only game in town. No car with this level of performance is any stealthier on the move, yet more of a curiosity when parked. And while the level of performance is truly intoxicating, if you can exercise some restraint, it can be quite economical as well. Presumably the 2016 version will improve the dynamics further, but for me the '15 is plenty. My only regret is that I didn't get it with the Recaros and my only real disappointment is that I wish the steering was a tick faster with a bit more feel.

Bet of luck with whichever way you go.
Old 10-29-2015 | 02:50 PM

F150
Originally Posted by okay.w0w

Yes and no! I love my GLA45. It definitely has character, runs good, and goes like a tank in the snow with proper tires. However, there are things that frustrate me daily! I have a bunch of rattles in the interior. Mainly plastic door pieces and dash. Also, road noise gets old. On "old/rough" pavement car has insane road noise. And the radio is def not great even with the "upgraded hk system".
The Audi def has a different power band, more instant power.. No lag. Interior is far superior and much quieter. Much better sound system And imo more comfy seats. But that's as far as I would go. If you want more interior quality and comfort I say S4 or even a nice cpo RS5. But for pure driving and cool factor gla45 all day!

However I would wait for the 16'. They are bumping HP and adding the dynamic tuning! Which is much needed and Will really put these cars on a whole new level if Mercedes does it right! I will say that if I don't drive in manual I do find my car shifts way too soon and finds itself in the wrong gear often, atleast in these WV hills.
Old 10-29-2015 | 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fleece82
Yes and no! I love my GLA45. ... However, there are things that frustrate me daily! I have a bunch of rattles in the interior. Mainly plastic door pieces and dash. Also, road noise gets old. On "old/rough" pavement car has insane road noise. And the radio is def not great even with the "upgraded hk system"...
100% agree with this. I'd add that the lack of intermittent wipers drives me batty. But all its flaws seem to melt away with just a 1/3 press on the throttle, particularly in a sweeper. And indeed, I too love my GLA45.
Old 11-05-2015 | 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
I've driven the GLA45 for almost a week (friends with dealer). I find that the GLA45 requires some learning to fully master the pedal.

The lag or hesitance will be pronounced when you're driving it the first time, after getting used to it, it is a serious weapon.

i am waiting for the 2016 model, cannot wait!
Old 12-08-2015 | 07:04 PM

2015 GLA45
I love my '15 GLA45. I know the '16 has 20 more ponies and a couple extra features but I was made and offer I could not refuse to take the '15. I've had the car 2 weeks and it is a blast.
Old 12-29-2015 | 09:48 AM

2015 GLA45
Update, love the GLA45 even more after 4 weeks.
Old 01-01-2016 | 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 AMG GTS, 2015 GLA45 AMG
Gla45 is totally useless in the snow without dedicated winter tires.
Old 01-01-2016 | 06:17 AM

GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by fixinbones
Gla45 is totally useless in the snow without dedicated winter tires.
Every car is useless in the snow without proper tyres. The 4matic just eases the pain a little and makes it a little more drivable though in comparison to rear wheel drives, where they really are a death wish in the snow.