GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Hesitation from Dead Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2016 | 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA-45 AMG
Hesitation from Dead Start

I've read lots of comments and seen many reviews where folks lament the hesitation that I'm experiencing in my GLA-45 AMG. Many say "it's like a turbo lag, but it's not a turbo lag." Others say it's the computer for the transmission trying to make a decision about the gear. Whatever it is, it's got me to the point of visiting my dealer to drive the 2016 (mine's a 2015). I'm not a tuning expert like many of you here... just a guy who bought the car because he liked it and who'd like to have it start rolling the instant he hit the gas instead of that quarter-second period of time when you are waiting for the car to acknowledge your use of the accelerator pedal.

It's so bad that when I get back in my other car, I experience the opposite -- jumpy starts. Why? Because I've been driving my GLA and I've been used to goosing the accelerator to get the car off the line.

SO... before I take a reaming on trading for a 2016 (and I have not yet determined whether the 2016 has eliminated that problem), is there something you tuning experts have found that can fix my 2015?

Thanks for any help in this area.

Jeff
Athens, AL

Last edited by jsmit24; 03-05-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2016 | 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,544 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by jsmit24
I've read lots of comments and seen many reviews where folks lament the hesitation that I'm experiencing in my GLA-45. Many say "it's like a turbo lag, but it's not a turbo lag." Others say it's the computer for the transmission trying to make a decision about the gear. Whatever it is, it's got me to the point of visiting my dealer to drive the 2016 (mine's a 2015). I'm not a tuning expert like many of you here... just a guy who bought the car because he liked it and who'd like to have it start rolling the instant he hit the gas instead of that quarter-second period of time when you are waiting for the car to acknowledge your use of the accelerator pedal.

It's so bad that when I get back in my other car, I experience the opposite -- jumpy starts. Why? Because I've been driving my GLA and I've been used to goosing the accelerator to get the car off the line.

SO... before I take a reaming on trading for a 2016 (and I have not yet determined whether the 2016 has eliminated that problem), is there something you tuning experts have found that can fix my 2015?

Thanks for any help in this area.

Jeff
Athens, AL
Same issue on 2014+ e63s

I bought a sprint booster and helped a bit but it's intrinsic to amg

Sorry... It sux and I have same experience when I'm in my Acura or Infiniti I have jumpy starts because their drive by wire systems with traditional torque convertors are very responsive
Old 03-07-2016 | 09:11 AM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2023 911 T, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
i have the same deal in my 2015. it doesnt bother me too much and i've gotten used to it but when i go back to my c63 in some time im expecting the responsiveness to be very jarring at first. we will see. I would be interested in a solution if others have found on
Old 03-11-2016 | 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA
Would test drive a 16 first, the so call lag is still there but less in the sport, sport+ modes.

Even the w205 c63S i test drove behaved similarly.

For me i dont mind, as i have driven manual transmission before and the lag resembles the delay between the gas and clutch pedals, its somthing you get used to.
Old 03-16-2016 | 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is zero doubt in my mind that its a result of the tranny being slow to downshift as you come to a stop. If you drive the car in M you can see that it hesitates to go to 1st. You can be stopped and it can be in 2nd for at least a second. If you are rolling slightly, the car never seems to go to first until you hit the gas when its starts to go in second, then decides to downshift at which point a second later it pops into first, the revs jump and you take off. The solution is to get in the habit of downshifting for every stop. I never drive the car in C/S, always M... the only time I ever experience "lag" have is if I forget to downshift to 1st when coming to a stop.