Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

GLA 45 2019 gearbox stuck in Neutral

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA 45 2019
GLA 45 2019 gearbox stuck in Neutral / Temperature related

Hi, my gearbox started to show a weird behavior of getting stuck in Neutral for a couple hours before releasing it.

Unable to identify what triggers it but it seems to be gearbox oil temperature related when as soon as I turn off the car, open the door or press P at the gear selector the hid display shows “Transmission not in P Risk of vehicle rolling away” red message - and there is short beep and you notice that the car very quickly shift from P to N and stays there. But if the gearbox oil temperature is cool ... everything works just fine.

An additional detail the hid shows N, the gear shift selector shows N ... but car doesn’t move at all - as the gearbox is not actually in Neutral (disengaged)... the gearbox most seems to be actually in Park Mode, which explains why the engine accepts to be turned off.

Also noticies that the normal behavior of the car is that when you switch the agility selector to either S or S+ the engine will automatically rev up (in idle) But when the car is in this “faulty mode” you see the agility mode changes in the Hid and selector - but the car does not change its idle rev at all.

so ..

1) already tried to disconnect the accumulator but it did not works - waited for about 5 min.
2) used and Autel Maxisys to reset the fault code (DTC 081C00) but it does work. It beeps and moves from N to P and back form P to N super fast
3) tried to disconnect the gear selector lever and kept it disconnected for about 5 min. But nothing changed

the only fix to this odd behavior is to leave car parked / locked for a few hours. And after that everything returns to “normal” ... until the gearbox oil temperature raises and Park the gearbox

by the way, there is a note on the manual mentioning that we should press the Park button on the shift selector before turning off the car and the eventually it could get stuck in N ... but after approx 30 min it should return back to normal. But in my case I have to wait over 2 hours to get it back to normal

Have anybody experienced anything like this ?
any thoughts?

Last edited by Cdbr74; 02-13-2021 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Update symptoms
The following users liked this post:
meicalnissyen (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 03:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
Well written post, this forum is dead. While not thriving, try here and good luck, I have a 19 as well.

https://www.glaowners.com/forums/mer...amg-forum.210/
Old 05-05-2021, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
This sounds to me like a dealer warranty issue that the MB dealer needs to address.