GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

Parking Brake issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 01:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLB 250
Parking Brake issue

I bought a new 2020 GLB 250 last November. My problem is, occasionally, it seems like the parking brake is not releasing. The parking brake light goes out, like it's off. But after I pull it to release, I go into reverse (or drive) and the car doesn't move. If i press down on the gas, it finally lifts but sounds like metal is hitting metal. Anyone else have this problem? I brought it back to the dealer, but of course, they could not replicate the problem. I'm bringing it back this week and leaving it there, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Seems to happen when I haven't driven it for a while (i.e., when the car is cold). The first time I took it back to the dealer, the service agent tried to tell me it was "normal." My driveway is flat -- no incline. I'm in CA - so it's not a cold weather issue.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,025 Likes on 953 Posts
1999 E300TD
go back again and this time sit on the service manager lap until you get an answer
The following 2 users liked this post by Plutoe:
Alan Chicago (09-22-2021), meister4weho (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
When they say they did not replicate the problem, did they just test it on the spot or brought the vehicle in to scan for codes?
MB brakes usually gets stuck after washing your car or parking overnight after being outside in the rain, there will be a loud noise when releasing the brakes. However, since you mentioned it sounds like metal hitting metal, it isn't normal.
The following users liked this post:
meister4weho (09-07-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 07:01 AM

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Originally Posted by meister4weho
I bought a new 2020 GLB 250 last November. My problem is, occasionally, it seems like the parking brake is not releasing. The parking brake light goes out, like it's off. But after I pull it to release, I go into reverse (or drive) and the car doesn't move. If i press down on the gas, it finally lifts but sounds like metal is hitting metal. Anyone else have this problem? I brought it back to the dealer, but of course, they could not replicate the problem. I'm bringing it back this week and leaving it there, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Seems to happen when I haven't driven it for a while (i.e., when the car is cold). The first time I took it back to the dealer, the service agent tried to tell me it was "normal." My driveway is flat -- no incline. I'm in CA - so it's not a cold weather issue.
I had mine since December and had no issues with the brakes. In your case it sounds like brake calipers are not releasing right away. Which parking brake are you using, the one on the gear shift lever or on the left side by the light switch?
Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 AM

GLB 250
Parking brake issue

The one on the dash, below the light switch. But even if you don’t set it, it sets automatically when you turn off the car. One of MB’s new “safety features.”

Last edited by meister4weho; 09-08-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:56 AM

The one on the dash, below the light switch. But even if you don’t set it, it sets automatically when you turn off the car. One of MB’s new “safety features.”
I only use "Park" on the gear shifter. Never used one on dash. Typically with manual parking break you have to release it before you switch gears.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB250 , C350, CLK 430
I too have that problem

I also have that problem, a 2020. The first time it was cold out, I had washed the suv, and the next morning the brakes were stuck. With pressure they broke free. Happened again, so took it to service. They said they have heard of it, and believe the problem is by having the electric brake being applied while the shoes and calipers are wet they bind overnight. So, in cold bad weather I hold the manual brake release open when I shut the vehicle off. Solves the problem. I would NOT do this if I was on a hill.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:49 PM

GLB 250
I live in So Cal - so no wet or cold weather (and I don't wash car that often but will keep that in mind when i do!). It's still at the dealer for service. Will report back when I know more.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:53 PM

GLB 250
Hi - they were finally able to replicate the problem! Looks like the rear brake pads were sticking to the brake rotor surface. They replaced the rear brake rotor and rear brake pads. I have the car back (yay!) and I will let you know how it goes!
The following 2 users liked this post by meister4weho:
Alan Chicago (09-22-2021), PhilB2020 (09-27-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ml55 amg
Hi - they were finally able to replicate the problem! Looks like the rear brake pads were sticking to the brake rotor surface. They replaced the rear brake rotor and rear brake pads. I have the car back (yay!) and I will let you know how it goes!

Mind telling me how they replicated the issues after you went in 2nd time?

I had this issue today car will not go forward or reverse felt like parking brake was not released after brake light went off. I tired to release it but then it made an loud pop noise and now finally released the parking brake.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rohanpatel14
Mind telling me how they replicated the issues after you went in 2nd time?

I had this issue today car will not go forward or reverse felt like parking brake was not released after brake light went off. I tired to release it but then it made an loud pop noise and now finally released the parking brake.
Sounds like brake caliper issue.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:18 PM

GLB 250
I had to leave it there for a week because this was something that would only happen intermittently, and only the first time during the day that I used the car. Ask them to keep trying the mechanism while watching how the brake rotor and brake pads interact. Wish I could be more help but I'm no mechanic!
Old 10-04-2021, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ml55 amg
I had to leave it there for a week because this was something that would only happen intermittently, and only the first time during the day that I used the car. Ask them to keep trying the mechanism while watching how the brake rotor and brake pads interact. Wish I could be more help but I'm no mechanic!
I understand but didn’t they gave you paperwork for what they did. Mind taking picture of it.
PhilB2020 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB250 , C350, CLK 430
Yes please, it would help those of us that would like to have this issue repaired.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:07 AM

GLB 250
Sorry, I thought I was clear. rear brake pads were sticking to the brake rotor surface. They replaced the rear brake rotor and rear brake pads
Old 10-15-2021, 09:55 AM

I do not have this issue, but I got curious and experimented a bit with a parking break. As I stated in one of the threads above I only use "Park" button on the shifter and never had this issue, so I parked on the hill and engaged manual break by pushing "Park" button by the light control cluster.
When I engage parking break using the shifter only, the "Break" sign goes away when I shift to drive mode, however when I used manual "Park" next to light switch, the "Break" light did not go away until I manually disengaged it by pulling on manual "Break" button.
Just curious if you guys tried parking with shifter only, or disengage parking break by pulling on the manual Park button.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 GLB AMG 35
I live in Chicago and the car (21 GLB35) is now parked in a -non-heated garage and my issue is most likely due to the very cold garage and the brakes/pads freezing. Every time I try to leave the garage, I have the same problem when shifting into Drive and trying to pull away. Have to keep pushing on the accelerator to get it to move and then the LOUD bang/POP of the brakes releasing. The car that sits right next to it in the garage, a All4 Mini Cooper does nothing like this. The cars do sit for a few days in the cold garage, but I've never had another car do this, especially the Audis, BMW's, Porsches, and even the Jaguar didn't do this. When I got this car last year, the brakes always squealed when stopping and they still do. The MB mechanic said thats normal for AMG brakes.. that's not a good thing to say about your product.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:17 PM

GLB 250
Hi Alan Chicago. Yes, it's terribly annoying and a little frightening. Especially when I have to back out of my driveway and I'm close to my fence on the right side! I'm always concerned the car will jump back and hit something. And the noise of the brake finally releasing sounds like metal on metal. Since they replaced the rear brake pads and rear brake rotor a few months ago, it's happened once. Although it didn't take as much pressure on the gas to get it to release. It's too bad they don't make the emergency brake optional (like put it on when you need it), because I would rarely ever have to use it. If it happens to me again, I'll be bringing the car back. It is not normal.
Alan Chicago (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 05:29 PM

2021 GLB AMG 35
Hi Alan Chicago. Yes, it's terribly annoying and a little frightening. Especially when I have to back out of my driveway and I'm close to my fence on the right side! I'm always concerned the car will jump back and hit something. And the noise of the brake finally releasing sounds like metal on metal. Since they replaced the rear brake pads and rear brake rotor a few months ago, it's happened once. Although it didn't take as much pressure on the gas to get it to release. It's too bad they don't make the emergency brake optional (like put it on when you need it), because I would rarely ever have to use it. If it happens to me again, I'll be bringing the car back. It is not normal.
And it's really really loud. We had friends in the car (was embarrassing) and it took about 10 minutes to move forward. I'm afraid it's doing something bad to the brakes so don't want to push it too hard. I sure hope they didn't charge you anything for the pads/rotors. Brakes usually are not covered under warranty I don't think..?
Our one friend in the car who has a BMW was asking me about MB and if I liked it because he was considering one.I said sure, it's nice and we do like it, but after he witnessed this he said no way.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:12 PM

GLB 250
Yes, it's scary. And because it's intermittent, almost makes it worse -- you never know when it might happen. It's a shame because otherwise, I love the vehicle. Lots of interior room, while still compact. Drives nicely.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 416 Likes on 342 Posts
2023 GLA250 FWD
Yes, it's scary. And because it's intermittent, almost makes it worse -- you never know when it might happen. It's a shame because otherwise, I love the vehicle. Lots of interior room, while still compact. Drives nicely.
It can’t be normal if it’s happening to GLBs in mild climates like California. Our driveway has a noticeable incline, so we have to use it every time we don’t park in the garage. But we don’t have the issue. It releases reliably and quietly.

I sounds to me like the actuator is not releasing smoothly, but I’m not observing the problem. It could also be the pad lining cementing itself to the rotor (flash rust) when parked overnight. Stuck pads can usually be solved by changing pad type, like going from ceramic to resin composition. Many MB models have alternate pads available that are different from the ones in the build as defined by the VIN but still meet the friction requirements of the vehicle. I don’t know what’s available for GLB. Maybe you could question dealer sevice about this. But definitely don’t try it on your own.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Alan Chicago
And it's really really loud. We had friends in the car (was embarrassing) and it took about 10 minutes to move forward. I'm afraid it's doing something bad to the brakes so don't want to push it too hard. I sure hope they didn't charge you anything for the pads/rotors. Brakes usually are not covered under warranty I don't think..?
Our one friend in the car who has a BMW was asking me about MB and if I liked it because he was considering one.I said sure, it's nice and we do like it, but after he witnessed this he said no way.
Yes usually it isn't but there is a wear and tear period on some MBs, I am not fully sure it is still applicable on the GLB, the first 24 months of 40,000 KMs in Canada likely the same for MBUSA but in miles.

Copy and pasted from a C-Class warranty manual WEAR AND TEAR PERIOD: The following parts listed are covered for wear and tear during the first 24 months or 40,000 km whichever comes first. BRAKE PADS, BRAKE DISCS, BRAKE PAD WEAR SENSORS AND LIGHT BULBS.
Alan Chicago (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 11:25 PM

GLB 250
Thank you. If it happens again, I am bringing it in -- so I will save these suggestions...
Old 02-08-2022, 11:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Keep us posted
Old 05-20-2022, 11:14 AM

2021 GLB AMG 35
I took my 21 AMG 35 for it's first oil change. Having the same issue with my Parking break. The dealer and mechanic said it's a known issue with the GLB and nothing they can do about it. MB dealer in Hoffman Estates IL. USA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake issue