GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

Check Engine Light P219C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 10:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C300 avantgarde edition 2021
Check Engine Light P219C

My 2nd year with car, 20,000km and P219C is on. Any ideas what may have caused it? Fuel economy is gone, showing about 450 km range over full tank all the way from 700km. Car also seems shaky when stopping and moving at low speeds.
Ps. I found this my self by connecting OBD2 scanner and now each time i start the car, a message says " Mercedes ME services Limited"... How to get rid of that lol
Old 10-05-2021, 10:06 AM

Official response from MB
"We performed a number of tests yesterday and submitted our finding to MB Technical Assistance in Toronto. One of the 4 engine cylinders recorded low engine compression causing rough running and lack of engine power. MB Canada believes the cause is a fault in the engine cylinder head allowing compression to leak out. They have just instructed us to replace the cylinder head and related gaskets and seals. Parts will be shipped from Germany. I would expect this repair to be completed in 3 to 4 weeks. My intention is to supply you with a MB loaner car as soon as I can arrange it. If you have any questions please let know."
Old 10-05-2021, 10:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,403 Likes on 2,050 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Sorry to hear about the issues with your vehicle. Thanks for updating us with the status of it, I am also sorry to see that your post was missed by others. First time I saw your post today but I hope MBCA have it all fixed for you a soon as possible.
The following users liked this post:
dvenneman (09-15-2022)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sorry to hear about the issues with your vehicle. Thanks for updating us with the status of it, I am also sorry to see that your post was missed by others. First time I saw your post today but I hope MBCA have it all fixed for you a soon as possible.
They will provide me a loner and a month because thats how long it will take. Im just in awe how a new car with 25,000km would get its engine shot. I never drove it rough. Not the best feeling knowing i may have a lemon.
(1st month the rear headlamp got water in, they replaced it free)
(5th month the windshield starting making a whistle noise, they replaced it free)
(Now the engine is shot lol)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Zik Mir
They will provide me a loner and a month because thats how long it will take. Im just in awe how a new car with 25,000km would get its engine shot. I never drove it rough. Not the best feeling knowing i may have a lemon.
(5th month the windshield starting making a whistle noise, they replaced it free)
GLB is a relatively young generation for MB, it first appeared as a 2019 model year. So there might be some glitches here and there for them to fix over the model years.
Either way, hopefully no more new problems for your car.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Im praying the same. I love the car. Drives great, very quick and sporty. Its my first ever brand new car in my life. Im hoping i have a good experience.
dvenneman (09-16-2022)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
As for the engine, the M260 E20 DE LA is relatively new too I think it was first put in use in 2018 or early 2019.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Im praying the same. I love the car. Drives great, very quick and sporty. Its my first ever brand new car in my life. Im hoping i have a good experience.
Good luck : )
Old 10-21-2021, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLB 250 AMG Line
not everything can be perfect...it happens....just glad you are OK and getting it resolved!!!

when stuff like this happens to me...I think ^^^(FIRST WOLRD PROBLEMS...LOL) I have a Tesla and a Benz......somewhere else someone is starving
Could always be worse... and I think that's why I'm always so calm when bad things happen to me. try it...it helps me enjoy what I have more!!!

good luck
dvenneman (09-16-2022)
Old 12-28-2021, 01:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
2021 AMG C63S, 2022 AMG GLC 43
Zik Mir, my wife's 2020 GLB with about 21k miles on it just popped the P219C code a month ago. I don't drive her car often, but the one day we swap cars, it popped the CEL as I was coming home from running an errand for her. She was out enjoying my C63s, and I was causing the CEL light to come on. HA!
I get home, hook up my ODBII reader and wrote down the code. Did some research and was like well... crap. Because of everything COVID the dealer couldn't get us in for a month. They've had it for 3 days minus Christmas Eve, and are trying to figure out what to do as they don't really want to tell us that they need to basically rebuild the top end of the engine. Today they were like well... we are bringing in a guy from another dealer to confirm the first technicians findings, but we want to replace / do some more testing before we make the call to for the major repair. My response was.... This is why I lease my wife's vehicles. Fine fix it, but it will be your dealerships issue as we will get her a new car....... Dealership said it could be between 7-8 weeks for parts if we are lucky, and cold possibly be longer depending on if the parts are not available.

I know it's a sucky thread, but thank you for posting about it.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 35 AMG
Scan tool

My 2nd year with car, 20,000km and P219C is on. Any ideas what may have caused it? Fuel economy is gone, showing about 450 km range over full tank all the way from 700km. Car also seems shaky when stopping and moving at low speeds.
Ps. I found this my self by connecting OBD2 scanner and now each time i start the car, a message says " Mercedes ME services Limited"... How to get rid of that lol
Which scan tool did you use on the GLB?
Old 09-14-2022, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes benz cla 45

I just went through the same thing, misfire on cylinder 3 due to a faulty seal. Covered under warranty. Car feels way better since
dvenneman (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
CEL + P219E

Originally Posted by MnewB22
Which scan tool did you use on the GLB?
Let me join this thread.
My 2021 GLB250, 27,600 miles, which had been performing flawlessly to this point, turned on the CEL on the way back from my 40 mile daily journey to retrieve grandkids from high school. I attached my Autel scanner and retrieved a P219E [Fuel/air mixture cylinder 3] code in powertrain register 2/5. It indicated that there should be two other codes to point to the failing component but there were none. There were absolutely no performance indicators of a problem. The CEL went off. Then it came back on intermittently.

I questioned whether to let it wait until the next service appointment but since that was 2100 miles away, decided to schedule an appointment.

The tech who was assigned got exactly the same result. He puzzled for 2 days over the fact that he should get at least an injector, a spark, a coil, or a sensor code. So he decided to run a compression test and found cylinder 3 intermittently failing. My service agent and the service manager talked to me and said that they had seen a few leaking heads and even though mine did not meet all the criteria for tear down and replacement, they had MBUSA approval to remove the cylinder head and replace it because he was not confident that any other kind of fix would last.

So parts should arrive in about 4-5 days and the repair should be done about 3-4 days after that.

Yikes! I’ve never had an engine failure on any of the V-6 MBs I’ve had. Other things wore out as those cars got much older, not the engines. But now both of the I-4 engines have had premature failures. At 110+ HP/liter is Mercedes asking more from an assembly line engine than can reasonably be expected?
dvenneman (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 09:02 AM

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
The long term reliability of these new small 4 cylinder turbo engines are in question based on early GLC engine failures. Hopefully MB learned the lessons to fix the issues.... Subaru has a long history with the XT series. There was no engine problems with the XT Forester I had until I sold it around 110K miles... I wish MB kept the 6 cylinders, but car manufacturers have to meet the government requirements on the fuel consumption...

A few articles from GLC engine thread about LSPI and using right oil assuming US fuel is high quality (The fuel quality must match the compression ratio of the engine. Higher octane, better able the fuel is to resist detonation):
How low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) can damage your direct-injection turbo engine
LSPI: Low-Speed Pre-Ignition
detonation/pre-ignition

Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
Let me join this thread.
My 2021 GLB250, 27,600 miles, which had been performing flawlessly to this point, turned on the CEL on the way back from my 40 mile daily journey to retrieve grandkids from high school. I attached my Autel scanner and retrieved a P219E [Fuel/air mixture cylinder 3] code in powertrain register 2/5. It indicated that there should be two other codes to point to the failing component but there were none. There were absolutely no performance indicators of a problem. The CEL went off. Then it came back on intermittently.

I questioned whether to let it wait until the next service appointment but since that was 2100 miles away, decided to schedule an appointment.

The tech who was assigned got exactly the same result. He puzzled for 2 days over the fact that he should get at least an injector, a spark, a coil, or a sensor code. So he decided to run a compression test and found cylinder 3 intermittently failing. My service agent and the service manager talked to me and said that they had seen a few leaking heads and even though mine did not meet all the criteria for tear down and replacement, they had MBUSA approval to remove the cylinder head and replace it because he was not confident that any other kind of fix would last.

So parts should arrive in about 4-5 days and the repair should be done about 3-4 days after that.

Yikes! I’ve never had an engine failure on any of the V-6 MBs I’ve had. Other things wore out as those cars got much older, not the engines. But now both of the I-4 engines have had premature failures. At 110+ HP/liter is Mercedes asking more from an assembly line engine than can reasonably be expected?
Old 09-15-2022, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Serhan
The long term reliability of these new small 4 cylinder turbo engines are in question based on early GLC engine failures. Hopefully MB learned the lessons to fix the issues.... Subaru has a long history with the XT series. There was no engine problems with the XT Forester I had until I sold it around 110K miles... I wish MB kept the 6 cylinders, but car manufacturers have to meet the government requirements on the fuel consumption...

A few articles from GLC engine thread about LSPI and using right oil assuming US fuel is high quality (The fuel quality must match the compression ratio of the engine. Higher octane, better able the fuel is to resist detonation):
How low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) can damage your direct-injection turbo engine
LSPI: Low-Speed Pre-Ignition
detonation/pre-ignition
The oil, the oil, the oil. But the dealer is not going to use a specially formulated version of Valvoline. They are going to use one of their oils on the BeVo approved for that engine. I can’t do anything other than let them service my car due to my current situation. Most consumers are in the same situation.

Based on the descriptions, I should expect internal engine damage to be devastating and a completely new engine to be needed.

And while the detonation/preignition article is informative and technical, control over those variables ended with the approval of the engineering design. To say “I keep those parameters within…” is meaningless on a production vehicle. BTW, he refers to US fuels as crap.

If MB cannot design vehicles that can operate with the available fuels and oils in the US, then they need to just leave the market to Toyota/Lexus and VW/Audi and concentrate on Europe and the Middle East.
Denny O (09-06-2023)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:03 AM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
May be that is the reason MB is going fully electric for next Model Cycle on all of their cars? Hopefully new battery technologies and production will be ready to meet that demand.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:53 AM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts
2014 C63
Geez... if these problems occur around 12k - 20k I'm worried mine will be out of warranty by the time I get to that mileage since I just don't drive it enough... I have a love/hate relationship with these MB cars.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by skullbox15
Geez... if these problems occur around 12k - 20k I'm worried mine will be out of warranty by the time I get to that mileage since I just don't drive it enough... I have a love/hate relationship with these MB cars.
You can still get MB extended warranty for yours. I got extra 2 years for mine, since I do not typically hold the cars for more than 6 years. You can purchase it from any dealer in US, do not have to be your local dealer.

Last edited by Vladimir Livson; 09-16-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Odd Piggy (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vladimir Livson
May be that is the reason MB is going fully electric for next Model Cycle on all of their cars? Hopefully new battery technologies and production will be ready to meet that demand.
That thought crossed my mind. If the batteries had been any good 100 years ago, there never would have been fuel burning cars.

I would take an EQB if it had more than 243 mile maximum range.

Electric motors, even advanced brushless DC ones, should be inherently more reliable and lower maintenance than high compression turbocharged engines. The control systems and the batteries are probably the current weak points. But I suspect that cars with quantum capacitors for power and quantum computers for controls are decades away.

Maybe the push to a single base engine available in different power configurations was just that.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:21 PM

The batteries will be cheaper and will have higher energy densities. About 7 years ago, there were several battery technology breakthroughs with Physicists getting Nobel for it. Unfortunately, it takes over a decade to get to a mass production level. There are non lithium Ion batteries starting to trickle in into the marker. Toyota for one starting their next generation EV's with solid state batteries. I am guessing 2025 goal of automakers to switch to electric cars evolves around availability of better and cheaper batteries.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,919 Likes on 3,085 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sorry to hear about the CELs and cylinder heads.

More unfortunate evidence to add to the large and growing heap that MB quality is pure rubbish.

The only MB engines in the past 10+ years that have avoided fatal or long-term-unresolved issues are the M276 V6 (now out of production) and the M17x V8 (limited model availability and mostly comes with the abomination called EQ-Boost). The M256 in-line 6 is too new to comment on.

MB as a brand carries a “stay away” rating in my view.
Denny O (09-02-2023)
Old 09-16-2022, 03:49 PM

How much did you pay for 2 year warranty extension?
You can still get MB extended warranty for yours. I got extra 2 years for mine, since I do not typically hold the cars for more than 6 years. You can purchase it from any dealer in US, do not have to be your local dealer.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Serhan
How much did you pay for 2 year warranty extension?
I paid $1850 for 6 years 75,000 miles. Dealer offered $2,200 first, however I emailed someone from different state (search this site, everyone uses that person) and got a quote of $1,800. So I told dealer about that price and we settled on $1,850. However price goes up by 10% after 30 days from the purchase date.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:17 PM

6 years makes sense as my loan is for 6 years also... Compared to tire insurance it is not that bad... They didn't mention it when I was buying the car or maybe I didn't think I needed based on my 8 years old GLK 350 history.... I will see how GLB35 will go... MB service called me recently for software update for the cell phone charger...

I paid $1850 for 6 years 75,000 miles. Dealer offered $2,200 first, however I emailed someone from different state (search this site, everyone uses that person) and got a quote of $1,800. So I told dealer about that price and we settled on $1,850. However price goes up by 10% after 30 days from the purchase date.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don’t have a loan on my GLB250. But it’s our main people hauler and will have 100,000+ miles on it by the time it’s 4 years old. I have always declined the warranty because our V-6 cars/SUVs were still running fine as they neared 200k and we retired them. The M271 in the C-Class broke at 75k and Mercedes covered it under extended warranty. Now the GLB has gone less than 28k before a catastrophic failure. I have zero confidence that it will go 100k without 2 more repairs based on the information here about the mechanical disaster that high output direct injection turbo engines are. I will look into the 100,000 mile warranty this week. After it hits 100k I’ll sell it for whatever I can get and buy a Kia or Hyundai (electric?) to get the basic 100k warranty they come with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light P219C