MB Dashcam & Ports - GLB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLB 220d
MB Dashcam & Ports - GLB

Hi everyone,

I was tempted to purchase the MB dashcam from MB store. My only hold back is the USB port location, I only have one of them by the cup holders and I use it for the AppleCar connection.

I was wondering if I can use the USB ports underneath the central armrest.

Thank you so much in advance!

Model: 2021 GLB 220d AWD Premium Plus - UK
Old 01-14-2024, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glb 220d 4matic uk prem+ uk
Originally Posted by MatSol
Hi everyone,

I was tempted to purchase the MB dashcam from MB store. My only hold back is the USB port location, I only have one of them by the cup holders and I use it for the AppleCar connection.

Thank you so much in advance!

Model: 2021 GLB 220d AWD Premium Plus - UK
hi same car glb220d premium UK.20 plate Have paid £200 for dashcam need to plug in a flashdrive for it to work but have a wireless android box plugged into the port with the sqare symbol in the phone tray all the other ports seem to be chargers? I want full access to my phone and dashcam recording can I do this thanks.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
21 GLB35 07 E550 Sport
That's exactly what those two USB ports are intended for, including music on a USB drive, connecting an iOS/Android device for non-CarPlay/Android music.

I use an USB-C adapter with an AV-rated SanDisk micro-SD card plugged into the left USB-C port. I generally plug my iPhone into the right port. A second USB-C device can also be plugged in for music files. I've had success with UGreen adapters. The video files are about 2-4 minutes long using date/time for filenames. Format the SD card as EXFAT.

Zero issues for the year I've been using this setup.
The following users liked this post:
MatSol (01-15-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 04:00 PM

21 GLB35 07 E550 Sport
I was tempted to purchase the MB dashcam from MB store.
Circled back with one more add, forgot at the time of my post. As with a lot of dashcams, the MPEG files have a not-common codec - the cross-platform freeware app VLC works perfectly. Cheers!
Old 01-17-2024, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 GLB250
So just curious. The USB-C plugs in the armrest compartment has the necessary amperage to power a dashcam? I could have sworn I either read or watched a YouTube video that stated the USB ports couldn't power some dashcams.

Also, isn't the factory dashcam powered via cables hidden in the plastic cover behind the rearview mirror, similar to how the FitCamX dashcams are powered?

I just bought the Viofo A229 Plus and just used the cigarette lighter to power it.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:09 PM

21 GLB35 07 E550 Sport
Originally Posted by kgzero
So just curious. The USB-C plugs in the armrest compartment has the necessary amperage to power a dashcam? I could have sworn I either read or watched a YouTube video that stated the USB ports couldn't power some dashcams.

Also, isn't the factory dashcam powered via cables hidden in the plastic cover behind the rearview mirror, similar to how the FitCamX dashcams are powered?
I'm alluding only to the USB-C ports in the armrest capable of data in addition to power, that they communicate with MBUX to allow for storing and reading data from the built-in dash cam and MBUX head unit for viewing those stored data files and playing back music files. The ports put out 5V and fairly low amperage, I don't recall the amperage, I used a passthrough meter to measure V / A a couple of months ago.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 GLB250
Ah, I see. I misunderstood. Sorry.