Wiper streaking Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLB 200
Wiper rubbing Issue

Greetings everyone,

I've been grappling with a wiper-related problem in my car ever since I purchased it six months ago. The issue arises when the wipers start rubbing and producing peculiar noises, typically occurring after the third or fourth activation during rainfall. Strangely, when the wipers are on full speed, there is no rubbing or squeaking; it only manifests at the lowest speed.

It's worth noting that I've been using Rain-X water repellent, although I've never encountered any problems with this product on my other vehicles. Despite having both the windscreen and wipers replaced at the dealer last month, the issue persists. I'm curious if this problem could be linked to the use of Rain-X. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by xSky; 02-25-2024 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
21 GLB35 07 E550 Sport
The stock wipers suck. I swapped the OEM wipers for Bosch AeroTwin wipers for the windshield and a Bosch Spectrum for the rear, zero issues since. I just had a B Service, instructed service to not install OEM wipers, IMHO overpriced junk for the GLB.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:10 PM

Mercedes GLB 200
Originally Posted by benz_driver
The stock wipers suck. I swapped the OEM wipers for Bosch AeroTwin wipers for the windshield and a Bosch Spectrum for the rear, zero issues since. I just had a B Service, instructed service to not install OEM wipers, IMHO overpriced junk for the GLB.
Thanks will give it a go. I went to the dealer today and they said they are not sure whether this is under warranty or not and might pass the charge to me, which I found quite weird. I might resort on changing the wipers first and see how that goes from there
​​​​
Old 02-06-2024, 03:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Originally Posted by xSky
Thanks will give it a go. I went to the dealer today and they said they are not sure whether this is under warranty or not and might pass the charge to me, which I found quite weird. I might resort on changing the wipers first and see how that goes from there
​​​​
I'd honestly try the silicon rubber wipers from PIAA -- I bought a set a few years back and I never had streaking issues since. Think about it...you'll never find silicon rubber *in* a store because that would keep people from coming back every year.
As a side note, I take a cotton bud and some IPA 91% and rub them on the blades when I see some streaking or chattering -- it allows you to get a bit more life from the rubber wipers.

Lastly, try clay bar on the wiping surface and some glass polish, then a ceramic sealant. Then some Rain-X, so you'll never have to use the wipers.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:32 PM

Mercedes GLB 200
Originally Posted by ghaffar23
I'd honestly try the silicon rubber wipers from PIAA -- I bought a set a few years back and I never had streaking issues since. Think about it...you'll never find silicon rubber *in* a store because that would keep people from coming back every year.
As a side note, I take a cotton bud and some IPA 91% and rub them on the blades when I see some streaking or chattering -- it allows you to get a bit more life from the rubber wipers.

Lastly, try clay bar on the wiping surface and some glass polish, then a ceramic sealant. Then some Rain-X, so you'll never have to use the wipers.
Tnanks for this. Will keep them in mind. The dealer seems to have fixed the issue (for free). They said they polished the windscreen, checked all the alignments, check the wiper motor, etc etc and everything were in order and they weren't sure what caused it at the first place.

I guess time will tell whether it will come back or not.