GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

2023 GLB Dashcam Options and Considerations in US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 GLB 4Matic
2023 GLB Dashcam Options and Considerations in US

I’m looking at installing a dashcam. I have a 2023 GLB w/ parking, driver assistance and multimedia packages.

Looking online, I see mixed feedback on whether I can use the factory installed augmented navigation camera for dashcam. Some say you can pay a $200 lifetime fee in Mercedes Me app, some say you can’t do it in the US.

I called Mercedes Me support, Mercedes Customer Support and the local shop - all basically said wtf are you talking about.

So, assuming using that camera is not an option in the US…

I see this option:

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-mercedes-benz-glb-amg-glb-35?variant=41745288921260

However, it seems like the aftermarket trim piece doesn’t accommodate the augmented navigation camera….

The OEM accessory camera (part 2139055310) is only front, no rear in US (per parts counter)

So is the only option a peel and stick front/rear option? Fine if so, just totally confused about what is and isn’t possible.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLB
I also went through this and concluded that in the US you cannot pay the 200 and use the augmented camera. I even went as far as buying a USB-C SSD and tried to plug it in to activate that option. (Also didn't work even though I read somewhere that it could) I'll also add that based on the low quality and poor fps I don't think I'd want it as a dashcam anyway but I would've probably paid 200 to not have to install a dashcam in the car for awhile.

I ended up going with a Thinkware U3000 2CH. There is a kit version with an OBD port connection to be able to keep running in parking mode when the car is off and automatically turn off at certain battery voltages. It uses Radar to do that, so it can run longer before draining the battery to the safety level which is nice as well.

I ran the cable to the back through the car's roof and the installation wasn't too bad, so far I like it. Definitely not the cheapest option, but I have the U1000 in another car and that has been solid as well so I stuck with Thinkware.
The following users liked this post:
louiedogg16 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 GLB250
I bought a Viofo A229 Plus, 2 channel. Its 1440P front and rear. I routed the wires down the passenger side pillar then routed the wire for the rear cameras down the door sills, shoved it under the rears seats and up the rear panel to the roof liner. I then routed it through the rubber...for a lack of a better word, rubber conduit (where the wires for the rear brake light go from the headliner to the rear window panel) and shoved the usb connector through the rear window panel (at the top) to connect to the rear camera.

​​​​​​Works well, the camera cost me $180 from Amazon, plus $17 for the lens polarizer. You'll also need a high endurance microSD card.I gor a 128GB card, but i should have gotten a higher capacity one.

Last edited by kgzero; 06-04-2024 at 01:54 PM. Reason: fix misspelling
The following users liked this post:
louiedogg16 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 GLB 4Matic
Originally Posted by kgzero
I bought a Viofo A229 Plus, 2 channel. Its 1440P front and rear. I routed the wires down the passenger side pillar then routed the wire for the rear cameras down the door sills, shoved it under the rears seats and up the rear panel to the roof liner. I then routed it through the rubber...for a lack of a better word, rubber conduit (where the wires for the rear brake light go from the headliner to the rear window panel) and shoved the usb connector through the rear window panel (at the top) to connect to the rear camera.

​​​​​​Works well, the camera cost me $180 from Amazon, plus $17 for the lens polarizer. You'll also need a high endurance microSD card.I gor a 128GB card, but i should have gotten a higher capacity one.
I got the FitcamX, I have a VIOFO for our Mach E.

Overall, I think my experience is consistent with common knowledge… FitcamX is fine as a camera but provided an OEM type look. If you want the best camera, get something else.

I opted not to go off a fuse for always on. Cable to rear was fished above camera, along headliner to passenger side. I ran it along the top to the rear and fished through the rubber grommet.

The only annoying area is the pillar between front and rear passenger side. I couldn’t get the cable to be hidden between the top pillar trim and the headliner, so it’s not noticeable but if you look at it you will see the cable. Kudos to MB on trim fit tolerances I suppose.

Old 06-08-2024, 03:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
EQB 300
Originally Posted by louiedogg16
The only annoying area is the pillar between front and rear passenger side. I couldn’t get the cable to be hidden between the top pillar trim and the headliner, so it’s not noticeable but if you look at it you will see the cable. Kudos to MB on trim fit tolerances I suppose.
That's the reason why I decided against routing the cable to the back and chose to use the rear camera as an 'internal' cabin camera instead. Just eliminates the headache of routing the cable to the back of the car. Instead, I got another 4k dashcam, and used the rear 12V charging point to power it up. Thats just a 2 minute job - you only need to pull back on the rubber beading and there is enough space between the body panel and the trim cover for the cable to be routed.

I have a Viofo 229 Pro 3 channel camera in my other car, which is a way better camera but and the rear camera cable was a pain to route.

If you are using a FitcamX, I would recommend checking your video footage for coverage. Fitcams are notorious for overheating and stop saving footage after a while. My first one had this issue - I wrote to them and they were happy to send me a replacement.