GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Is air suspension worth the money?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C240 Sedan, 2016 GLC300
Is air suspension worth the money?

We are seriously considering the new GLC, I read some reviews, but there is no first hand experience explaining whether the air suspension is worth it...
GLC seem to have many options to choose from, and the price add up quickly. We are aiming somewhere in the middle of the upgrade...
What is your opinion on this? thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'17 GLC 300 4matic
I am in the same position: GLC top of the list for my next car, but options not clear. I hope that members who opt for the air suspension on their GLC's report on the pluses/minuses here. If C class sedans can be so optioned will their owners's experiences be relevant for us?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I just got my C300 Sport a week ago and we're waiting for our GLC to come in. I didn't get the Air Suspension on my Sport (but did get most other big ticket upgrades) and we're not getting it on the GLC either. I test drove a C with Air and with standard suspension and I just didn't feel the added expense was worth it. It's a bit smoother, but not appreciably so. It's way more complicated and since we're paying cash for both cars and intend to drive them a long time, I didn't want something that could require more maintenance over the life of the car while in our driveway.

The one advantage on the sedan that could be worthwhile is you can raise the car up a bit higher than standard suspension. That's not really necessary on the GLC, which sits higher to begin with.

I hope this was helpful. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting it, just explaining why we didn't.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W205 C180 Amg, Mercedes X205 GLC250 4MATIC Exclusive
Originally Posted by Sivanevets
We are seriously considering the new GLC, I read some reviews, but there is no first hand experience explaining whether the air suspension is worth it...
GLC seem to have many options to choose from, and the price add up quickly. We are aiming somewhere in the middle of the upgrade...
What is your opinion on this? thanks
If you do not care maintenance costs you would definitely choose air suspension. I have C class AMG and GLC order waiting in custom.(Both of them without air suspension). C class has a bit harsh suspension , GLC has the same suspension. I had a test drive with GLC 18'' non runflat version. It was still harsh on bumpy roads. Air suspension should be much more comfortable.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... adding air suspension to a GLC will be a enthusiast's option - overall in one perspective it adds a "adjustability" factor to the suspension settings - which complements the Driver selectable engine/tranny profiles.

It's a major feature with a investment cost - similar to Driver's Assistance Package - that for the GLC will be a enthusiast's decision based on value to the owner.

Keep the beat !
Old 11-11-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well... adding air suspension to a GLC will be a enthusiast's option - overall in one perspective it adds a "adjustability" factor to the suspension settings - which complements the Driver selectable engine/tranny profiles.

It's a major feature with a investment cost - similar to Driver's Assistance Package - that for the GLC will be a enthusiast's decision based on value to the owner.

Keep the beat !
Car and Driver just released a review of the GLC and they recommended against the Air Suspesion. Here's a link to their review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...nl&date=111115

I'm not trying to discourage any enthusiast from getting it. I'm just not sure the expense will deliver that much more in terms of comfort as the review suggests. By all means everyone should spend their money on their build they feel best meets their needs.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
Air suspension certainly gives you greater adjustability but it tends to be a high maintenance system as the vehicles get older.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C240 Sedan, 2016 GLC300
thanks for the inputs... seems like a yes with lease, no with financing to me...