GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Runflats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC 4Matic
Runflats?

I haven't seen anything in the literature, but am I to presume that all GLC's come with runflat tires as standard equipment?? No spare?

I don't have any personal experience with the tires, but my impression has been that they aren't very popular; added expense and problems.

Comments?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
In the US, you can pretty much count Run Flats. They're not like the old RFT's of the past. Mercedes specifies the characteristics I have them on my 2016 C300 Sport, and while I was kind of dreading them, I think they're just fine. I haven't found to be harsh at all. Mercedes calls them MOE. This might be of interest:

Tires branded with MOExtended or MOE on their sidewalls identify them as being specifically tuned for Mercedes-Benz vehicles. The Extended portion of the name identifies they feature run-flat-like tire characteristics by offering temporary extended mobility. However since they don't meet all of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) run-flat tire operating limits under all permitted vehicle loads, they cannot be branded as run-flat tires.

Mercedes-Benz vehicles traditionally provide high levels of comfort, which makes it challenging for chassis engineers to add traditional run-flat tires without experiencing some sacrifices in ride comfort. Mercedes-Benz believes much of the undesirable ride firmness is directly associated with traditional self-supporting run-flat tires, so they collaborated with several tire manufacturers to develop lighter-duty temporary extended mobility tires that are designed to increase trunk space and provide a location for the BlueTEC diesel urea tank while enhancing vehicle fuel economy and everyday ride comfort.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 ML320
Originally Posted by awjenni
I haven't seen anything in the literature, but am I to presume that all GLC's come with runflat tires as standard equipment?? No spare?

I don't have any personal experience with the tires, but my impression has been that they aren't very popular; added expense and problems.

Comments?
This is from mbusa.com:
" front and rear tires P235/60HR18 BSW Run Flat All-Season (Standard)"
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...ry=PERFORMANCE
BTW the new Jaguar F PACE SUV (coming in April) offers a full size spare wheel as an option. The Jag seems to be priced to be competitive with the GLC.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 220d 4MATIC
If you have the 18 or 19 inch tires, the GLC comes with Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105. They are characterized as run flat. We have the 18 inch version and the ride is very comfortable even on regular suspension.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:55 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
I don't think the US ones will come with that tire. That looks like a high performance summer tire and I think ours come with All Season on 18 or 19.

Originally Posted by adnanh
If you have the 18 or 19 inch tires, the GLC comes with Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105. They are characterized as run flat. We have the 18 inch version and the ride is very comfortable even on regular suspension.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
US - All Season Extended Mobility.

Earlier comments - to give clarity based on my understanding - the original/current Run Flat tires are built with a aluminum disc inside - so when tire pressure is lost you actually "run on the inner disc" - limited speed - frankly for quite a long way if necessary - however Run Flat ride characteristics are quite harsh - handling feel poor - tread life quite poor.

Extended Mobility have a stronger sidewall design - so when tire pressure is lost - the stronger sidewall can support limited speed limited distance - ride characteristic quite good - handling feel quite good - tread life yet to be determined as compared to :regular" tire.

Extended Mobility is now a cost effective option for car manufacturers to reduce cost/weight across many different classes of vehicles - especially where rear storage space is limited.

When purchasing a new MB - or any brand actually - understand tires manufacturers do not offer "road hazard" coverage on new car tires.

Sidewall punctures for any tire incl Extended Mobility are a no-no, and several tire manufacturers of Extended Mobility have issued kindof restrictive bulletins advising NOT to repair falt-tread-punctures - for whatever reason heck they might be smoking crack for all I know.

My call-out is this - when purchasing a new MB - in F&I you will be offered the option of some type of Wheel & Tire protection coverage - either MB or 3rd party - ask about the details because frankly with the increased # of sidewall punctures (any type tire) - I suggest you understand the details of the W&T coverage to make your decision.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes GLC 250 4Matic
Rim size

In my offroad experienced run flat or moe are not the best tire, so i expect to buy a small backup tire just in case, any recomendation size for A 235/60 r18? Y will ask for the emergency tire for long trips
Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Giovag
In my offroad experienced run flat or moe are not the best tire, so i expect to buy a small backup tire just in case, any recomendation size for A 235/60 r18? Y will ask for the emergency tire for long trips
Use caution if considering a compact spare. When installed, being smaller than the opposite full sized tire, it rotates at a different speed. This rotational difference most likely be detrimental to the 4Matic driveline.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 03-10-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Giovag
Use caution if considering a compact spare. When installed, being smaller than the opposite full sized tire, it rotates at a different speed. This difference most likely be detrimental to the4Matic drive line.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 PM

My GLC came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 235/55R 19 tires.

What's puzzling is these tires are identified as both MOE and Runflat. How can this be as they are considered different tires. It's my understanding the MOE tire is an MB spec. that is kinder gentler than a real runflat.

Are the differences between them so slight as to carry both labels?
Old 03-10-2016, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Question.
Given the MOE tires are thicker and I guess heavier, would they benefit from being filled with Nitrogen, to reduce tire heat and provide a more constant pressure and temp ?
Also do any members run your tires slightly higher psi/kpa above the recommended sticker values ? If so, what do you run them at, grant & rear ?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
When our car was delivered, our SA recommended Nitrogen fill if we had problems with TPMS going off after drop in temperature. We have had that issue with all of our other cars here in Dallas. This includes cars with regular tires as well as run flats. This has included multiple Mercedes, VWs, BMWs, as well as a Honda Odyssey.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
We have the 20" Pirelli MOE tires, without a wheel brace or jack.
Anyone know what other series have a compatible jack ? Oz price is $180 for Jack, looking to source from a parts exchanger or swap agent (wreckers) at a cheaper price, otherwise will but new. Told there is a specific emergency tire and rim, in a bag, with Jack etc for AU $1800. Ouch.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Teckno
Question.
Given the MOE tires are thicker and I guess heavier, would they benefit from being filled with Nitrogen, to reduce tire heat and provide a more constant pressure and temp ?
Also do any members run your tires slightly higher psi/kpa above the recommended sticker values ? If so, what do you run them at, grant & rear ?
Thanks
Teckno, First, let me say, nitrogen is a profit center for sellers. Good old air is free.

My experience with runflats leads me to believe weight difference is insignificant. Haven't weighted them but have handled them, both mounted and dismounted. The primary difference is the stiff sidewall. A vehicle with runflats can have a tire with zero pressure and when looking at it the tire looks as though it is fully inflated. The primary advantage of nitrogen is your tires will require less servicing. That's because nitrogen molecules are larger, therefore, the tire leakage rate is slower. Its pertinent to note, 78% of our atmosphere is comprised of nitrogen. A plus, is nitrogen is inert, so the tire interior will be always be completely dry. Compressed air contains a small of moisture so the tire interior will be less than dry.

With regard to pressure you will get responses all over the map. My position is, accurate inflation requires that tires are cold, therefore, check pressure in the morning before the vehicle is driven. Inflate to pressure specified on the tire pressure decal on the inside of the fuel filler door. Keep in mind the specified pressure is a result of close collaboration between the vehicle manufacturer and the tire company engineers. If the vehicle is driven but a mile, there will be a pressure increase of about one psi. And if driven at speed on the freeway expect to see about four to six psi increase from cold psi. This increased pressure is considered when engineering is determining cold pressure.

The above is how I manage tire pressure. Perhaps not for everyone, but it works well for me. On a GMC Envoy my last set of tires (Michelin Latitude) went 77,000 miles. And the previous set, same tire, went 75,000 miles.

Am carrying 32psi all around my GLC.

If running nitrogen gives you a warm fuzzy then do so. Otherwise, pressurized air works fine. And the cost can't be beat.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
PSA - Tire Discounters (and probably some other places) will fill up your tires with nitrogen for free.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by JEVA
PSA - Tire Discounters (and probably some other places) will fill up your tires with nitrogen for free.
Thanks that is great info.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

. Many thanks, appreciate you comments.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Teckno,
With regard to pressure you will get responses all over the map. My position is, accurate inflation requires that tires are cold, therefore, check pressure in the morning before the vehicle is driven. Inflate to pressure specified on the tire pressure decal on the inside of the fuel filler door. Keep in mind the specified pressure is a result of close collaboration between the vehicle manufacturer and the tire company engineers. If the vehicle is driven but a mile, there will be a pressure increase of about one psi. And if driven at speed on the freeway expect to see about four to six psi increase from cold psi. This increased pressure is considered when engineering is determining cold pressure.

The above is how I manage tire pressure. Perhaps not for everyone, but it works well for me.
+1. This is how I also manage the air in my tires.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
I took our GLC to America's tire and they sold us a tire road hazard and wear
warranty with no problem with full road hazard and mileage warranty.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slk, Subaru, Toyota
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Thanks that is great info.
All tire shops fill tires with Nitrogen for free. Any HS kid taking HS science and paying attention in class knows this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Rt3vMM6Rdkczbw

Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 AM

Slk, Subaru, Toyota
As for run flats they all have very stiff sidewalls to support the weight of the car when flat. By nature of this aspect they ride terrible and the larger the wheel and thinner the rubber the worse the ride quality is. They also have poor wear / longevity. So you get a poor ride quality, poor life/miles and they are priced high.

We ditched the run flats on our SLK, put nice Michelin tires on it. MB actually has an air pump in the trunk, I added a quality tire plug kit. Had my tire shop show me how to plug a tire.

The GLC I would want no larger than a 18inch wheel, though MB is pushing big wheels thin rubber in the US market. Out side the US they even offer a 17inch wheel. I would actually be tempted to find 17s and do that. Here is why. The more rubber you have the smoother your ride. Performance is marginally impacted and I dont see most GLC owners doing track days were they might notice a slight .5 second lap time advantage to a larger wheel.

Also the more rubber you have the more durable and lower chance of blowing a tire on a bad pot hole or clipping a curb etc. I would also simply put good quality standard tires on it, carry a tire plug kit. For camping adventures and long road trips I would have a matching identical spare I hang on a simple tire carrier mounted to the hitch. 99% of the time the spare is left home in the shed.

Any full time AWD be it MB system, Subaru, BMW, Lexus all 4 tires MUST be identical in circumfrence given these systems depend on the tires all having near identical rolling / rotation. If one tire rotates more IE is smaller it causes the awd system to heat up, can damage clutch packs that distribute power and your looking at a ruined awd system. Very costly mistake.

Last edited by Sailcamp; 03-22-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not sure what your comment means! Most tire shops fill tires with air. Air is 78 percent nitrogen and 21percent oxygen. Nitrogen fill for tires are usually 90-99 percent Nitrogen. You usually have to ask for it and many cases pay for it 10.00 a tire at many places.
I am a board certified critical care physician and a diver. Big difference oxygen content and nitrogen tire fill.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 AM

Slk, Subaru, Toyota
The highly competitive Mazda Miata track guys occasionally use Nitrogen in their track tires and typically hot days to help them manage tire pressures at high temps. This is due to the aspect that they track psi to the exact lb vs lap times. The everyday driver will "Never know the diffrence between 78% nitrogen and about 95%. Plus Nitrogen tanks are cheap $10 a tire is the equivilent of saying $150 charge for a $20 head light bulb is fair trade.

Simply sharing the truth about the perception that nitrogen in your tires is something special or noticable. Because its not and even hard core racers seeing wide temp swings in their tires will tell you its a zero benefit to a street car. But hey if you have money to burn knock your self out. Its your money.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I am a board certified critical care physician and a diver. Big difference oxygen content and nitrogen tire fill.
Well, hello fellow diver! The wife and I are doing the Cayman Aggressor this year again (second time) in Sep/Oct.
What part of TX are you in? I'm actually headed to Dallas/Westlake for work on Sun-Wed of next week.

Now back to the run flat discussion...
Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I live in the DFW area. Unfortunately, had to give up diving due to some health issues. Does not make me happy. During my residency and fellowship, I got to work with DAN and play with hyperbaric chambers and deal with diving injuries.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Runflats?