GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Current owners - what would you change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
Originally Posted by schnabels
Did you get the air suspension? If so, how is that working for you? Did anyone discuss its reliability and cost to fix. I find that all the professional car reviewers say good stuff about it, but I'd like to hear from the owners. Thanks.
schnabels - personally I would not purchase another Benz with airmatic suspension. On my previous ML it was both unreliable, expensive to fix and left me stranded due to a electrical fault that stalled the engine every time the compressor kicked in. The airmatic system does work well but in the end it really depends on how long you are keeping the car.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
The car can access the public internet only when a tethered phone or tablet is connected by USB cable or Bluetooth. It would be convenient if it could also join an (internet connected) wireless network as a client computer, such as in a garage, on your drive at home or even in an area with a strong free wireless network like a hotel, so that you could tinker with the browser or MB apps before setting off.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 250d
Originally Posted by schnabels
Did you get the air suspension? If so, how is that working for you? Did anyone discuss its reliability and cost to fix. I find that all the professional car reviewers say good stuff about it, but I'd like to hear from the owners. Thanks.
Done nearly 5000km with air suspension and 20" rims. Fabulous ride quality. Just hope it doesn't have any issues. finger crossed.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by Penn
schnabels - personally I would not purchase another Benz with airmatic suspension. On my previous ML it was both unreliable, expensive to fix and left me stranded due to a electrical fault that stalled the engine every time the compressor kicked in. The airmatic system does work well but in the end it really depends on how long you are keeping the car.
Yeah, my sales rep said the air suspension might give problems, and since I was ordering my CLC last Dec just as it came out, she also said ordering that might cause delays, so I didn't.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Originally Posted by MartynW
It would be convenient if it could also join an (internet connected) wireless network as a client computer
Absolutely agree. I have a work mifi box so had that in the car for kids to connect to. However, I can't connect the GLC to that box. It's fine for the kids to still connect direct to the mifi box but I'd have liked for the GLC to be able to connect to it as well (or have a pop outable SIM card so I could put the work Mifi SIM into it!)
Old 08-06-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC3004M P02
After 4 days and 300 miles on my US 2017, a few initial impressions:

1. When I press the "1" for seat/etc memory on the driver's door, the panel flexes. Feels flimsy, and I wonder about the longevity of the wood. Anyone else experience this?

2. No issues with wiper chatter as has been reported. Driven in rain a few times. Hopefully they solved this.

3. Yes, there's some wind noise, but overall it's a very quiet car. Turn the stereo up.

4. I wish that Dynamic Select would return to the Individual setting when the car is started, rather than defaulting to 'Comfort' each time. Annoying!

5. I am tempted to turn the touchpad off, except that it's really useful for nav zoom in-out. I keep inadvertently changing radio stations. I suppose I'll adapt but I shouldn't have to.

6. Going from an ML350 with 18" wheels to GLC with 19" run-flats is a bit of a shock to my posterior, but the ride quality is still very nice and, in comparison, the GLC corners like it's on rails.

7. LOVE the LED (non-adaptive) headlights.

8. Still on the fence about the illuminated star, which came with getting the other things I wanted on a car that was already en route. It's blessedly subtle but not really my style and I may unplug it. (One man's opinion, YMMV)

9. Female friend was taken aback when she fastened the seatbelt and it gave her boob a little hug.

10. When pano is open, the screen that pops up at the front of the roof opening is noisy. Solid piece on my ML was much quieter.

11. So far no defects, save for possibly #1 above, which I'll ask service about when it has its first checkup.

12. Getting 29MPG according to trip computer in mixed driving, about 60% highway. Very happy with that. Engine on "Comfort" for first 1000 miles per advice of service guy, I'll likely go with Sport later.

13. Overall, I'm a very happy owner. I'll update when I have more miles of experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madman7:
Lurkerlisa (08-07-2016), Mikeyking (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Volkswagen GTI (mine), 2016 Mercedes GLC300 (wife's)
Re: point 1. The front door panels in my GLC feel solid, but the back door panels flex alarmingly when the handles are pulled on. Perhaps related - I have an intermittent rattle from the rear drivers side door panel ( it goes away when pressure is applied to the speaker grill area).

I'll have it looked at when she's in for the first service.
The following users liked this post:
Madman7 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Originally Posted by Madman7
After 4 days and 300 miles on my US 2017, a few initial impressions:
Firstly, thank you for putting together the list - I've added my personal view and added a few more. Having your list to hang off has helped with the list making!

1. When I press the "1" for seat/etc memory on the driver's door, the panel flexes. Feels flimsy, and I wonder about the longevity of the wood. Anyone else experience this?
No issues here on either side of the car with the panel...

2. No issues with wiper chatter as has been reported. Driven in rain a few times. Hopefully they solved this.
Same here, no issues with wiper blades. Only slight issue was that I went to a drive through safari and one of the monkey's managed to loosen the back blade but it slotted back in easily enough!

3. Yes, there's some wind noise, but overall it's a very quiet car. Turn the stereo up.
UK car, no acoustic glass, no wind noise issues at all. OK, so once I'm up to 90mph I have to turn the stereo up a little louder but cruising at 80 - no issues at all.

4. I wish that Dynamic Select would return to the Individual setting when the car is started, rather than defaulting to 'Comfort' each time. Annoying!
Agree - although I just want it to return to ECO - always goes back to comfort. Maybe this'll be included in a new firmware upgrade?

5. I am tempted to turn the touchpad off, except that it's really useful for nav zoom in-out. I keep inadvertently changing radio stations. I suppose I'll adapt but I shouldn't have to.
Haven't really used it at all so far - apart from switching between media tracks so can't really comment

6. Going from an ML350 with 18" wheels to GLC with 19" run-flats is a bit of a shock to my posterior, but the ride quality is still very nice and, in comparison, the GLC corners like it's on rails.
Not sure I've got run-flats in the UK - got very nice 19" night pack wheels though. I've got air suspension and love the ride.

7. LOVE the LED (non-adaptive) headlights.
I've got the adaptive LEDs - driven once with them (last night) and love them. Not sure I'm confident enough for the 'auto-dimming' function yet though!

8. Still on the fence about the illuminated star, which came with getting the other things I wanted on a car that was already en route. It's blessedly subtle but not really my style and I may unplug it. (One man's opinion, YMMV)
Haven't got it on my model, if I had, I might turn it off too!

9. Female friend was taken aback when she fastened the seatbelt and it gave her boob a little hug.
You wait until it takes over and emergency stops! The seatbelts pull you back into the seat on their own - very strange but very comforting. Makes you feel like the car has got your back (or is it front!)

10. When pano is open, the screen that pops up at the front of the roof opening is noisy. Solid piece on my ML was much quieter.
I had a CLC with a pano and it was way noisier than the GLC. With the roof open I get no significant noise but haven't really gone above 40mph with the roof open..

11. So far no defects, save for possibly #1 above, which I'll ask service about when it has its first checkup.
Leaving the theatre last night, turned the car on and it failed to move off - said to report to dealer immediately (or something similar). Turned it off and back on again and it was all fine - strange.

Also, the fuse has blown in the front 12v plug. Not sure if the dash cam I had plugged in there caused it or if the car caused the issue with the dash cam. The dash cam power supply melted so that's had to go back to the manufacturer and I've got a refund, now have an even better dashcam that has a USB power connector so it's plugged into the centre console instead

12. Getting 29MPG according to trip computer in mixed driving, about 60% highway. Very happy with that. Engine on "Comfort" for first 1000 miles per advice of service guy, I'll likely go with Sport later.
I've gone around 700 miles on the UK diesel and am getting around 40mph now which I'm happy with.

13. Overall, I'm a very happy owner. I'll update when I have more miles of experience.
Absolutely agree. Just a few of my own to add:

13. Less 'sensitive' boot operation. Swipe your foot underneath to open the boot and 9 out of 10 times it'll stop because you're too close as it tries to open. I'm sure it's just getting used to the distances

14. Auto-stop - If I'm at a stop by all means auto-stop kicks in. But if I restart the car by taking the foot off the brake, don't auto-stop again two seconds later... I want the car to be ready to go, not to auto-stop!

15. Lane assist. I love distronic, use it most of the time, trust it already. However, lane assist is dangerous and could cause accidents. It's nice once it's following a car in front but once it's trying to read the road it gets it wrong. I did find out though that you can change the distance you're tracking against the car in front by twisting the distronic stalk - I like it!

16. Lack of air ventilation in the back - for the price of the car you'd expect pillar vents surely as well as centre console vents?

However, overall, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my GLC!!
The following users liked this post:
Madman7 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC3004M P02
Originally Posted by Mikeyking
Firstly, thank you for putting together the list - I've added my personal view and added a few more. Having your list to hang off has helped with the list making!

However, overall, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my GLC!! [/b]
Thanks for the great supplement! Definitely going to get the door panel checked out at first service.

I don't have Distronic, but I drove a GLE with one and loathed the lane keeping feature. The adaptive cruise was great, though.

I don't think I have the foot-swipe boot opener. I think that comes with the park assist, at least in the US. I'll have to try!

The touchpad thing is when I brush my hand across it while doing other things. I'll learn.

On the pano wind blocker noise - it's just wind noise, not a big deal, and only at highway speeds. Burmester cures it

No one has been in my back seat yet (and that'll be rare, no kids here). So the rear ventilation is good for me.

Finally, I resolve not to warn females about the belt hug. I'll just scold the car when it happens

Today's project: Converting 32GB of music from my home server (FLAC format) into MP3s on a USB drive, so I can leave that plugged into the car and not have to bother with plugging in the iPhone for my music. My batch converter says 9 hours to go. An earlier test was seamless, voice search, album cover art and all.

Happy motoring!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300 SQ%5
I would recode the start/stop as it pointless to have to hit it every time. And thankfully the GLC43 is coming out, which addresses the relative lack of power. My wife traded her VF39'd forester xt (which was a lot less comfortable) but, was an absolute rocket compared to the GLC300 and that is all she misses about it.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by sszyma
I would recode the start/stop as it pointless to have to hit it every time. And thankfully the GLC43 is coming out, which addresses the relative lack of power. My wife traded her VF39'd forester xt (which was a lot less comfortable) but, was an absolute rocket compared to the GLC300 and that is all she misses about it.
Everything's a tradeoff...I'll bet the GLC gets much better mileage than the Forester.

The GLC is a good blend of performance and efficiency.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Miss the dial pad like in my E350 Coupe, it makes navigating radio and media a lot easier (accessing and storing stations). Buttons on steering wheels are too small. Control buttons for Air Cond are too small. Noisy when driven on open highway especially when windy.