...you could buy one of these:

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon

...to mitigate where to put your keys, phone, etc........I did and love it
Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by Tylbran
I am amazed at how integrated and smooth the start/stop feature is and it works seamlessly so I never have the desire to turn it off - why is it such a problem?
We have a Prius v as well as our '17 GLC. The engine start/stop system on the Prius is truly seamless and smooth. The GLC, on the other hand, shakes every time the engine is restarted. This is akin to dining at a restaurant with one or more Michelin stars and having your drinks served in paper cups: it doesn't completely ruin things, but it's a constant flaw in the otherwise high-quality experience.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Originally Posted by midesaka
We have a Prius v as well as our '17 GLC. The engine start/stop system on the Prius is truly seamless and smooth. The GLC, on the other hand, shakes every time the engine is restarted. This is akin to dining at a restaurant with one or more Michelin stars and having your drinks served in paper cups: it doesn't completely ruin things, but it's a constant flaw in the otherwise high-quality experience.
As with most full hybrids, a Prius does not have a conventional start/stop system that can be accurately compared to a conventional ICE/Trans combination such as the setup in a car like the GLC. Prius doesn't have a conventional transmission or starter. The motor/generator in a Prius can start, stop, pause, coast or run at various levels of power or charging at any given time. These changes are almost undetectable in most scenarios. It's altogether different machinery. The primary cause of engine vibration on startup is fuel quality. Try a different fuel and make sure you are using the proper grade.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman
As with most full hybrids, a Prius does not have a conventional start/stop system that can be accurately compared to a conventional ICE/Trans combination such as the setup in a car like the GLC. Prius doesn't have a conventional transmission or starter. The motor/generator in a Prius can start, stop, pause, coast or run at various levels of power or charging at any given time. These changes are almost undetectable in most scenarios. It's altogether different machinery. The primary cause of engine vibration on startup is fuel quality. Try a different fuel and make sure you are using the proper grade.
I too had a Prius and Highlander Hybrid and agree with midesaka there is no comparison to the Stop/Start function on the GLC. I guess GLC Owners who have no basis of comparison would be happy with the clunky GLC system.

I appreciate your explanation, mtberman. I assumed the Prius/full hybrid Start/Stop function was more sophisticated, but I still turn it off every time I start it up because it’s just so annoying. And on a hot summer day I really hate to have the AC cut off because my car is in Eco Start/Stop mode. As to a better quality gasoline, I’m only using 93 BP or 93 Shell. Has anyone really noticed a smoother startup using a different brand of 93 fuel?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by mtberman
I'm well aware of the differences in drivetrain between the Prius and the GLC: my intention was point out the difference in smoothness between the systems.

Can you cite a source for your fuel quality assertion? If fuel quality were the issue, I'd expect the problem to continue with a lumpy idle and/or performance problems during driving.

ETA: I have used only premium fuel from Shell, Exxon, Chevron, Texaco, and Citgo. The vibration has occurred with each of these.

Last edited by midesaka; 04-10-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added fuel information.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Originally Posted by Tylbran
I have had my 2018 GLC43 since late November 2017 and really cannot come up with much in by way of "complaints" - my previous vehicles were E63S wagon and GLK so I have been familiar with the infotainment system. It is a huge improvement over the GLK. I have not experienced any of the wiper, brake or tire issues reported by others.
The GLC infotainment system is certainly an improvement over previous MB systems but, not having owned non MB vehicles with integrated infotainment systems for comparison, I am very happy with the system. Is it perfect- certainly not but I make use of voice control for phone, radio, other media and navigation as much as possible and in my experience it works very well.
I am amazed at how integrated and smooth the start/stop feature is and it works seamlessly so I never have the desire to turn it off - why is it such a problem? I can still take off from a stop very quickly without any hesitation (particularly in sport mode). My E63S had the same feature and it worked the same way -flawlessly.
I have never needed to open my door when the vehicle is in drive (why would I?) - I make use of the 360 cameras to understand where I am when I am parking. This type of technology can be your friend. From a safety perspective, I can see why the feature is part of this vehicle.
I have never had a remote start and personally do not see the advantage having a remote start since I just get in and go - why waste the gas? Yes on winter mornings the vehicle is cold but I have never been uncomfortable...just turn on the seat heaters and if you need to clean off snow you will likely start the car and then clean off snow - no remote start needed.
My key and phone are always in my pocket so I really do not have an issue with the storage for these items. If I need to have my phone out, I use one of the cupholder locations to hold the phone - works great even with the phone plugged in.
I will be purchasing roof rails and learning the experience regarding clearance to the sunroof is very helpful. I will certainly look into this when I decide which system to purchase.
On the whole, I am very pleased with my GLC and do not regret the purchase.
Nice write-up on your experiences. You would make a great MB employee -- if you aren't one already. The point of the OP was to ask individual owners of their own personal niggles, no need to explain why you disagree with the niggles; niggles are niggles -- they are personal annoyances. I like this forum because I learn a lot from fellow owners folks like Openwheelracing -- commenting on the auto-park feature preventing accidental run-overs or schroedinger explaining the EPA thing - that's insightful.

"I have never had a remote start and personally do not see the advantage having a remote start since I just get in and go - why waste the gas?" And? I see an advantage. And Mercedes apparently also sees an advantage (they did program an entire remote app which allows me to do it, didn't they?). I commented on niggles with the functionality and offered a idea for enhanced functionality. Do you feel MB should scrap the remote-start because you don't need it?

"My key and phone are always in my pocket so I really do not have an issue with the storage for these items" And? I HATE THINGS IN MY POCKET.

"...have not experienced any of the wiper, brake or tire issues reported by others." Good for you. Some of us have and these are our niggles.

Last edited by CasemLuke; 04-13-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLC300
Has anyone else that has had the "transmission software" recall performed noticed that in Economy mode the transmission will not shift into 8th and 9th gear? If I start the car, put it in Economy mode, this will happen. However, if I start the car and keep it in Comfort mode, then drive around, it will shift into 8th and 9th gear. It seems to be that if I switch from Comfort to Economy after the transmission has shifted into the higher gears, then I don't see this problem.

I've taken it back to dealer and they kept the car for 3 weeks trying to figure out what the problem is. They told me that it seems to be a software issue and have sent all sorts of data to MB and are waiting for them to issue a repair. The service adviser said they haven't seen this issue before because people usually don't drive in Economy mode.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
I use 'E' mode regularly and my '18 has done this since new. It seems to be related to the throttle position: Because 'E' mode blunts throttle response so much, you have to use a heavier foot to maintain higher speeds. In turn, that keeps the trans in a lower gear. It will shift into 8th and 9th gear automatically in 'E' mode if you drive on a long, slightly downhill stretch of road where you can use a lighter foot.

Or you can do what I do when this happens: Use the paddle to shift up to 8th and 9th manually.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 PM

2016 GLC300
Well my '16 won't shift into 8th and 9th in 'E" mode under any condition unless it has been in those higher gears from a different mode, then it will. Dealer said there is definitely a software issue related to the recall because it was shifting normally prior to the recall update.

Just curious to see if anyone else has/had this issue.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
Whilst I am going to upset many readers, please forgive me for my opinion. Firstly the GLC is a low priced Mercedes. You are paying for the design, safety and the badge. It should be compared to the
likes of similar sized SUV; putting aside the premium price for the badge. I think you will be presently surprised as to how good the vehicle is. Now is it worth the premium tag will depend how much you desire to have a 3 pointed star in front of you. In my case it was a budget issue, already owning a new E 350d, could not afford the GLS or the GLE; these are in a completely different league in terms of build quality than GLC.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
It's the small stuff.

I have had my GLC300 since July 2017 (now almost 10 months) and overall it has been excellent with no issues outside of a rock hitting my windshield.
If I had any small issues they would be the following (based on a E350 we have, and my former GLK350):
1- If I park on a decline/incline there is a judder after putting the car into D. Always.
2- The new "lightweight" construction may save gas but I miss the tank-like construction of my older models. They truly were built better 5 years past. This may also be a volume issue as MB can barely keep up with demand for their SUV models.
3- The soft car seat anchors have broken rather quickly and do not simply fold back into the seat for protection. They snap out and break easily.
4- The door hinge indents are off. They open to strange angles. My GLK had a first indent that allowed me to slip out of the car in parking spot without hitting another car. Now the first indent leaves a tiny 3 " gap only, and the next indent is too far open so I must use my hand to prevent my door from clipping another car always.
5- The hatch door close and lock button (not the close only one) means literally placing myself and the key very close or it does not work. If I turn in any direction with my key on a coat pocket it refuses to work. Again I must reposition myself to be within range. I should be able to stand a decent distance away (say 2 feet) and still be in range.
Outside of these small things, the 4Matic AWD drivetrain has been a life saver during our icy/cold winter. I find the seats terribly comfy and the bum warmers are not too aggressive.
Options I love:
1-Steering wheel heating that just feel amazing on cold or damp days.
2-Foot activated rear hatch door that work every time.
3-Deep door wells that hold 1 litre bottles easily.
4-Back seat bum warmers that I thought would never get used but guests and my mutts love them.
5-Rear hatch back seat releases that move the front bucket seats forward allowing the back seat to fold flat with one touch, even with the rear head rests.
6-LED headlamps with auto high beams. I found myself fighting the system at first but eventually just left them to do what they felt was best. The windshield camera leans to the safe side and dips the beams near street lamps, highly reflective large signs and other light sources but flick back up quickly enough.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
[QUOTE=cfugle;7440212]
Options I love:

3-Deep door wells that hold 1 litre bottles easily.

I call these "built-in wine bottle holders"! And they work extremely well, keeping wine bottles in place without tumbling or rattling around.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:05 PM
S.W

2018 GLC300, 2024 GLE 450e
2018 GLC. In no particular order.
  1. Touchpad - seems completely useless because its just in the way and too easy to accidentally activate. We deactivated it.
  2. Multimedia control - lack of a dedicated skip/next button on steering.
  3. SOS call button cover - too easy to accidentally press when you try to get your sunglasses
  4. Comand UI - its clunky, seriously ugly and mostly not intuitive.
  5. Driver-side window controls placement - maybe we both have weird arms because we repeatedly open the wrong windows
  6. Nav system is buggy -
    1. it will hang when you drive out of an underground garage ("Activating Navigation" screen) and never restore during the drive.
    2. still not used to turn dial right/left for zoom out/in respectively for the map.
  7. No Volume indicator - worse, when you turn on radio sometimes the volume is super loud.
  8. Seat controls:
    1. its ridiculous to put these on the door IMO. yes I realise many automakers do this but its bad placement
    2. you must press & hold the preset button all the way. Really annoying. I think my 2012 Acura had press and go preset buttons.

Last edited by S.W; 05-03-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: updated #3, added #6 and more
Old 05-02-2020, 10:14 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by S.W
  1. Touchpad - seems completely useless because its just in the way and too easy to accidentally activate. We deactivated it.
  3. SOS call button - too easy to accidentally press when you try to get your sunglasses
  5. Driver-side window controls placement - maybe we both have weird arms because we repeatedly open the wrong windows
#5 👍 LOL
I always press the rear driver side passenger window button instead of my driver window button very annoying
Old 05-03-2020, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
#3 Even if you do accidentally hit the call button you will only open the cover, you must then press the red button inside to activate the system.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:27 PM
S.W

Originally Posted by decorily
#3 Even if you do accidentally hit the call button you will only open the cover, you must then press the red button inside to activate the system.
you're right, updated my list
Old 05-03-2020, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300 2020 SUV
One complaint:
AFAIK there's no way to exit the car and keep it running for the benefit of the passengers (AC), even if you leave the key inside. The car turns itself off shortly after you get out.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Stark33
One complaint:
AFAIK there's no way to exit the car and keep it running for the benefit of the passengers (AC), even if you leave the key inside. The car turns itself off shortly after you get out.
Seriously?
This is not the way my car behaves anyway!
Old 05-04-2020, 08:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC 300
car does not work that way for me - I have left the car with the car running both with and without my keys inside and the car stays on - 2018
Old 05-05-2020, 02:46 AM

GLC 300 2020 SUV
Seriously?
This is not the way my car behaves anyway!
Originally Posted by Takehold
car does not work that way for me - I have left the car with the car running both with and without my keys inside and the car stays on - 2018
Could it be a 2020 model thing? Do you have your auto start-stop turned on?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Stark33
Could it be a 2020 model thing? Do you have your auto start-stop turned on?
My current car is 2020 300d but my previous 250d didn't do this either.
Stop Start would be deactivated when the door was opened.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC 300
I have an 18 so it could be a 20 thing? - also I always have auto start-stop OFF since I used a module to modify it - so not sure - maybe I'll try it later with start-stop ON and see what happens
Old 05-05-2020, 04:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by S.W
  3. SOS call button cover - too easy to accidentally press when you try to get your sunglasses
  6. Nav system is buggy -
    1. it will hang when you drive out of an underground garage ("Activating Navigation" screen) and never restore during the drive.
    2. still not used to turn dial right/left for zoom out/in respectively for the map.
  7. No Volume indicator - worse, when you turn on radio sometimes the volume is super loud.
  8. Seat controls:
    1. its ridiculous to put these on the door IMO. yes I realise many automakers do this but its bad placement
    2. you must press & hold the preset button all the way. Really annoying. I think my 2012 Acura had press and go preset buttons.
1. Agreed, Unfortunately, for 2020, the knob is gone; you've got to use the touchpad or the touchscreen,
5. Me too, especially at drive-thrus (which I'm using a lot more these days).
y. Haven't had that problem.
8. Disagree. On door you can see it, you don't have to fumble for it and press the cushion instead of the seatback control or headrest control. Wish the lumbar control was on the door too (MB is putting that in the Comand menu in newer models).
Press and let fo means you could accidentally brush against and it moves you too far back or too close while driving.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:38 PM

GLC 300 2020 SUV
My current car is 2020 300d but my previous 250d didn't do this either.
Stop Start would be deactivated when the door was opened.
Originally Posted by Takehold
I have an 18 so it could be a 20 thing? - also I always have auto start-stop OFF since I used a module to modify it - so not sure - maybe I'll try it later with start-stop ON and see what happens
Please tell me how I can get the car to keep running when I leave it. It's a huge issue for me in the 40 degree C temperatures here.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:48 PM
S.W

Originally Posted by S.W
  6. Nav system is buggy -
  8. Seat controls:
9. Bluetooth Music - No album art (I assume unless you use carplay/auto).
Is this really some huge challenge for automakers? I could have sworn I had album art appear over BT on a rental Ford years ago

10. Quick Wiper button - Took me months to adjust how I use the indicator lever because I'd occasionally press the wiper button while using the indicator. (maybe this is a mercedes thing, I have a faint memory of having the same on our old SLK)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC niggles, complaints and advice