GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC niggles, complaints and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
I'm surprised that no one complains about electronic parking brake's (formally "manual" brake) constant engagement when car is turned off. I would think its annoing in order for car to move when D or R is selected, driver actually has to press gas pedal (sometimes when one is too close to an "object" its not ideal when there are only inches of room) or to manually release parking brake.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by threeMBs
I'm surprised that no one complains about electronic parking brake's (formally "manual" brake) constant engagement when car is turned off. I would think its annoing in order for car to move when D or R is selected, driver actually has to press gas pedal (sometimes when one is too close to an "object" its not ideal when there are only inches of room) or to manually release parking brake.
I guess because it just doesn't bother me. I've gotten used to the delay when the car is in park, but once in gear just engage the gas pedal. From there it's very smooth and the parking releases uniformly every time. Besides as you commented, if it did bother me, I can release the brake with the button first, then drive off.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 02-06-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Originally Posted by threeMBs
AH! So, until reading this note, I did not know that you could switch off the electronic brake by putting into D or R and pressing accelerator...I have just been manually hitting the electronic brake button and THEN pressing the accelerator. Learned something new! Now I find that feature less annoying.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 250D
MB apps

Get this message when I try to load.
Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails GLC niggles, complaints and advice-photo664.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC300 4-Matic
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
I finally found a bit of a complaint and will call up my dealer's service department shortly. Just yesterday, after a month and a half of driving the GLC, I started to hear a distinct creaking noise coming from what seemed to be deep down in the steering column/behind the instrument cluster (Yes, I EVEN checked the dual binnacles thinking it would be "funny" if they were loose and making the creaking sound, since I am suspicious of the binnacles in the first place). When it started, I heard it when driving over uneven surfaces or bumps, and then pretty quickly on I started to hear it even when making turns or accelerating. I've had very few issues come up with the three MBs I've had so far, and whenever one has come up, it's been taken care of at no cost, so I'm not particularly worried. This is a new model after all, but it is something.

Updated: Today the creaking noise occurs less often than it did yesterday. Now it only seems to happen when turning AND accelerating AND going up or down any kind of slope. Yesterday, I heard it from ANY turning motion, when driving over any kind of bumps in the road AND from just accelerating.

Glad I have a service appt for Monday morning to get it checked.
Please let us know what you find! I've experienced the same odd creaking sound for a few weeks now (vehicle was new on 12/23) and started shortly thereafter. I've pushed on the different trim pieces inside to try and find what is creaking with no resolution. I can only hear the creaking when the radio is off and I am the only person in the car. Before calling the dealer to make an appointment, I'd be interested to hear your diagnosis (I had a nightmare of a W164 CDI so I'd like to enjoy NOT having to visit the service department weekly with this one).

Last edited by GLC300w4; 02-08-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:57 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by GLCer
Was there an audible alarm?
Every benz I've been in only had a seatbelt alarm and will sometime chime when you open the car to get in. The glc for example has a very loud entry chime but the seatbelt one is very low.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
I can't stand seatbelt nag chimes. It especially kills me if it goes off because I have a bag or something in the front seat so it thinks someone is sitting there. At least on my X6 it quits after a minute or so. When I test drove the GLC, I tried to see how long it would ding before going off. Didn't look like it ever quits. Damn lawyers.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC
Annoying

Originally Posted by tron786
Noticing this every time I try to connect to Bluetooth. Any advice?
I get this message every time I start my car and my iPhone connects through bluetooth, it's really annoying! I've had this issue since day 1, when my dealer connected my iPhone during the delivery process. He didn't know why, but expected it to be resolved with a software update.

Anyone knows when we can expect a fix?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Wind noise update.

So I went to the dealer today. They said the wind noise is definitely the issue in the W205 and the one sales guy says he's heard it on the GLC but because the GLC was just launched recently there are not many around.
The workshop manager said they first try readjusting the doors and windows but the sales guy says he thinks it's the mirrors.
Acoustic glass doesn't solve the issue.

The sad thing is that MB is aware of the problem with no firm solution. They knew about it with the w205 but let it persist in the GLC. This is pathetic.
I read MB integrated the antenna into the passenger side mirror (no more "shark fin" on the roof). I wonder if they had to redesign the shape of the mirrors when they did that?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250
MB apps

Get this message when I try to load.
Any ideas?
I just took delivery of my GLC yesterday. I'm in Australia, but having a similar issue - my error message always states "data connection is temporarily unavailable." Have not been able to access Mercedes Apps or any of the internet functions yet.

Will enquire with my dealer...
Old 02-11-2016, 06:10 AM

GLC 250
Originally Posted by freinhar
I just took delivery of my GLC yesterday. I'm in Australia, but having a similar issue - my error message always states "data connection is temporarily unavailable." Have not been able to access Mercedes Apps or any of the internet functions yet.
For what it's worth - my issue had to do with the Bluetooth settings on my Android phone and I've since resolved it. There was a specific setting to enable internet sharing over Bluetooth that was located somewhere completely different to all the other Bluetooth settings, this has resolved my issue.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by BilalC
I get this message every time I start my car and my iPhone connects through bluetooth, it's really annoying! I've had this issue since day 1, when my dealer connected my iPhone during the delivery process. He didn't know why, but expected it to be resolved with a software update.

Anyone knows when we can expect a fix?
I connected my Samsung galaxy st to it during a test drive. No problems.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:45 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
So, we had our first little, but annoying niggle. Since the very cold weather arrived and some snow, when backing up, our back brakes really squeak. Anyone else experiencing this and if so, I wonder how that can be fixed. Embarrassing for a Mercedes. Our GL's never did that. Other than that, so far the GLC is great SUV!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
My X6 has always done the same thing. When it gets really cold, the suspension audibly creaks over speedbumps. Always goes away when it warms up so I never inquired about it...didn't bother me really.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:46 AM

GLC300 4Matic
My car is three days old. GLE300

Travelling at 70 to 80mph, you definitely can hear tons of wind /crosswind noise. which to me, is annoying as hell.

because sometimes, my family would be talking and when i get to freeway speeds, wind noise would be too annoying.

My dad asked me if i could slow down a little so that he doesnt need to raise his voice
Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4, 2014 Nissan Leaf
Originally Posted by jamespaul

Travelling at 70 to 80mph, you definitely can hear tons of wind /crosswind noise. which to me, is annoying as hell.

because sometimes, my family would be talking and when i get to freeway speeds, wind noise would be too annoying.

My dad asked me if i could slow down a little so that he doesnt need to raise his voice
What country are you in? Seems that MB maybe upgrading glass here in the states but not sure about anywhere else.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:10 PM

GLC 250
I wonder whether some of the cars are built differently, or whether different people really perceive wind noise super differently. We did some highway driving in our new GLC over the weekend and it was pretty windy as well - I would have described the cabin as extremely quiet. Didn't notice any wind noise at all.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM

GLC 250D

You have a GLC or GLE?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by freinhar
I wonder whether some of the cars are built differently, or whether different people really perceive wind noise super differently. We did some highway driving in our new GLC over the weekend and it was pretty windy as well - I would have described the cabin as extremely quiet. Didn't notice any wind noise at all.
This may help you.
Attached Thumbnails GLC niggles, complaints and advice-photo229.jpg  
Old 02-17-2016, 03:00 PM

GLC 250
Haha.

My hearing is fine.

I wonder if the Australian ones come with the acoustic glass.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 PM

GLC300 4Matic
You have a GLC or GLE?
Sorry, my car is a GLC. typo there.

I am from NYC. i drive to NJ all the time.

while the road noise is well suppressed. the wind noise is bugging me
Old 02-18-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK350, M3 ZCP
Sorry, my car is a GLC. typo there.

I am from NYC. i drive to NJ all the time.

while the road noise is well suppressed. the wind noise is bugging me
Agreed! Road noise is very well suppressed (better than most comparable vehicles). I think that's part of the reason the wind noise was so apparent to me. Road noise below average, wind noise above average IMO.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:49 AM

GLC300 4Matic
@ohiorideraaron, i couldnt agree more.

I am riding on 20" AMG wheels with tire spec of 255/45/20. i was initially worried about tire noise. but no such problem.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLC300 4Matic
when you guys talk about noise (of either wind or tire/road), would you mind also telling what car you are comparing to? Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 02:31 AM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by ay55
when you guys talk about noise (of either wind or tire/road), would you mind also telling what car you are comparing to? Thanks
My Nissan NV200 utility van has no wind noise but lots of engine noise

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC niggles, complaints and advice