GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2016 GLC300 4Matic Transmission jolt/jerking problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:39 PM

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by Roni07
Im at 60,00 miles and due for B service.
my MB dealer quoted me $600 (oil change, filter, top up fluids, tire check rotation and drain and refill the break fluid )
an other MB is quoting me $300 for B service but no break fluid drain and refill.
That's a big difference. Do I need break fluid replacement at this time ?
what is the MB recommended service ?
Where can I find it and print it ?
i didn’t know such discrepancies existed between dealers.
Nothing wrong and most car manufacturers recommend doing brake fluid change every 3 years or 30k miles. Do your brake fluid change on your next service A. Look online your area dealers lots of service coupons also
Yelp Mercedes mechanics you’d be surprised how many good independent fair priced mechanics are out there.

Last edited by Sigp232; 02-26-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 142 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Im at 60,00 miles and due for B service.
my MB dealer quoted me $600 (oil change, filter, top up fluids, tire check rotation and drain and refill the break fluid )
an other MB is quoting me $300 for B service but no break fluid drain and refill.
That's a big difference. Do I need break fluid replacement at this time ?
what is the MB recommended service ?
Where can I find it and print it ?
i didn’t know such discrepancies existed between dealers.
Sealing of recommended services, I have asked MBUSA their answers below, this is my first car
without mfg recommended services booklet, looks like they want us to go to dealers more often so dealer can tell us whatever they want.

I was able to find 2016 booklet and its available for download from MB website.

MB response:

We regret to inform you, the maintenance booklet was discontinued in 2017 for GLC model vehicles.

We may confirm, the service internal for your 2018 GLC is every 10,000 miles or annually, which ever comes first.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Your Mercedes-Benz service advisor is in the best position to discuss your vehicle needs at the time of service.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:42 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Wow thanks. Discounted!? Can’t find info anywhere terrible MB customer care. I read an old service manual that said “break fluid replacement every 20,000 miles”.
still not clear why one dealer is doing B service without the break fluid exchange but the other is.
One changers $300 and the other $600.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Bohmlander (07-30-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Wow thanks. Discounted!? Can’t find info anywhere terrible MB customer care. I read an old service manual that said “break fluid replacement every 20,000 miles”.
still not clear why one dealer is doing B service without the break fluid exchange but the other is.
One changers $300 and the other $600.
according to maintenance booklet for GLC 2016 brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, regardless of miles.

Paul Bohmlander (07-30-2020)
Old 04-13-2024, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLC-300 & 2022 GLE-350
Originally Posted by expound
I've had my new GLC for about a week now. At least a couple times a day I experience a weird jolt/clunk/jerking from the transmission. Typically this happens when I am slowing down for a stop sign or traffic light. It seems to be between either third to second gear, or perhaps 4th to 2nd. I can't replicate it every time, so perhaps it has to do with the slope of the road, or maybe light application of the throttle.

Am I alone?
April 12, 2024

I just purchased a 2024 GLC300. Less than 100 miles on it, but the car is extremely "jerky" when slowing down to stop....from 10mph to 0mph. It's very annoying. Watching the tachometer indicates that the car does not want to downshift properly. The Hyundai's in the family do this when the oil needs changing...or is low.

The oil isn't low in this new GLC300, but maybe it's broken down from sitting in the crankcase dating back to October 2023, when the car was assembled in Germany (according to the placard)?

Or, maybe the car is so "new" everything needs to be broken-in over a few hundred miles, before I complain.

My wife has a GLE350 that slows to a stop like the car is in neutral...with the brakes being the only mechanism engaged... smooth as silk.

I'll perform some internet searches to see what could be causing this in general, before going to the dealer. Hopefully it's something I can "fix", or something that will resolve itself. (The GLC300 I test drove at the dealer slowed to a stop perfectly...like my wife's car. But it had 3,500 miles on it.)

Anyway, just throwing this out there to see if anyone has experienced this problem with their GLC300 recently.

Allen in Chicagoland
Old 04-13-2024, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AllenChicago
April 12, 2024

I just purchased a 2024 GLC300. Less than 100 miles on it, but the car is extremely "jerky" when slowing down to stop....from 10mph to 0mph. It's very annoying. Watching the tachometer indicates that the car does not want to downshift properly. The Hyundai's in the family do this when the oil needs changing...or is low.

The oil isn't low in this new GLC300, but maybe it's broken down from sitting in the crankcase dating back to October 2023, when the car was assembled in Germany (according to the placard)?

Or, maybe the car is so "new" everything needs to be broken-in over a few hundred miles, before I complain.

My wife has a GLE350 that slows to a stop like the car is in neutral...with the brakes being the only mechanism engaged... smooth as silk.

I'll perform some internet searches to see what could be causing this in general, before going to the dealer. Hopefully it's something I can "fix", or something that will resolve itself. (The GLC300 I test drove at the dealer slowed to a stop perfectly...like my wife's car. But it had 3,500 miles on it.)

Anyway, just throwing this out there to see if anyone has experienced this problem with their GLC300 recently.

Allen in Chicagoland
Im sure it wasn't jerky when you tested. So, its something car developed. Maybe it needs adaptation or trany reset in any case you need Xentry, You car is brand new just take it to a dealer let them worry about.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:36 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DanD.
Im sure it wasn't jerky when you tested. So, its something car developed. Maybe it needs adaptation or trany reset in any case you need Xentry, You car is brand new just take it to a dealer let them worry about.
Thank-you for your reply DanD.

I will likely do so, if the jerkiness when decelerating to a stop doesn't cease in another couple of days....or when the car gets over 500 miles on it. I didn't drive the one I bought. I drove a similar 2024 GLC300 that was on the lot... used for demonstrating the vehicle. The one I purchased (leased) was inside the showroom, with 5 miles on it.

Thanks again for the advice Dan!

-Allen in Chicago
Old 04-13-2024, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,126 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Mercedes transmissions are adaptive, meaning they learn your driving style and adapt. It'll likely settle down as you drive somewhat gingerly during break-in.

You can also reset the transmission yourself without going to the dealer.

The key steps (on our 2019 GLC) are:
Turn the ignition key to the "on" position, but do not start the engine.
Press the accelerator pedal all the way down and hold it for 10-15 seconds.
Turn the ignition key to the "off" position while keeping the pedal pressed down.
Release the accelerator pedal and wait 2-3 minutes.

This procedure puts the transmission control module into a "relearn" mode, allowing it to adapt to your driving style and reset any learned shift patterns.
It does not erase any other ECU programming.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:31 PM

Thank-you. I've read about this procedure (from maybe a post you made elsewhere). But it seems to apply to cars that have been driven enough to pick up "bad habits"? My GLC300 doesn't have 200 miles on it yet, so there's no bad habits for it to unlearn. It's so unpleasant to drive around town, I shift into "N" when approaching a stop sign or stoplight. Then, it comes to a stop smooth as silk. Also, I've never owned a car for 5 days and barely drive it.

My Mercedes dealer contact person isn't in a hurry to get back to me, so I may have to have to just drive over there and find a mechanic to talk to.

Thanks again for providing the helpful advice. I'm sure a lot of other drivers-in-need will see it too, which is a good thing!

-Allen in Suburban Chicago
Old 04-18-2024, 11:29 AM

April 12, 2024

Allen in Chicagoland
DON'T BLAME YOURSLEVES. This is a Merceds Problem. I have GLE350 and GLC300. The GLE350 has a horrible rough transmission. No smooth shifting. IT doesn't know what to do. Very clunky and jerky transmission, it jolts you forward when downshifting , before a stop. This has been going on for years and Mercedes can't fix the issue. I hear Lexus has smooth transmission. Mercedes has a very glitchy software too.. also causes issues with transmission and shifting. Waste of time having to back to the dealer to ''Replicate' the problem. to be honest I don't have that issue any more. I traded it in for a Tesla. super smooth and super fast. I completely understand your pain, been there done that for years.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
DON'T BLAME YOURSLEVES. This is a Merceds Problem. I have GLE350 and GLC300. The GLE350 has a horrible rough transmission. No smooth shifting. IT doesn't know what to do. Very clunky and jerky transmission, it jolts you forward when downshifting , before a stop. This has been going on for years and Mercedes can't fix the issue. I hear Lexus has smooth transmission. Mercedes has a very glitchy software too.. also causes issues with transmission and shifting. Waste of time having to back to the dealer to ''Replicate' the problem. to be honest I don't have that issue any more. I traded it in for a Tesla. super smooth and super fast. I completely understand your pain, been there done that for years.
As always there are some exemptions, our ML and GLC trany are very smooth. I can't stand Tesla's build quality and ergonomics, cheap plastics and road noise especially after ML/GLE
I would better go with Audi etron for EV.
But it's me. Hope you like Tesla.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:44 PM

Thank-you for replying to my question. My wife's 2022 GLE350 shifts up and down very smoothly. I just don't like how "big" it feels when navigating, which is why I test-drove and opted for a GLC300 SUV last week.

The demo car drove fine, but the one I leased is going to be looked at tomorrow by the dealer, because the downshift from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 when coming to a stop, is quite rough about 60% of the time. Was 90% of the time earlier this week. It's getting less obnoxious as the miles accrue. There are 210 miles on the car now. Am trying to keep the mileage low, because the car can be traded to an equal or more expensive vehicle within 30 days or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Thanks again for sharing what your Mercedes experience has been like. Thankfully, our first, the 2022 GLE350 has been 100% trouble-free.

-Allen in Chicago
Old 04-20-2024, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by DanD.
As always there are some exemptions, our ML and GLC trany are very smooth. I can't stand Tesla's build quality and ergonomics, cheap plastics and road noise especially after ML/GLE
I would better go with Audi etron for EV.
But it's me. Hope you like Tesla.
- Yes MB GLE350 had much better build quality. Tesla is made with cheap plastic. However, Coming from GLE350 4Matic - I found the ride rough and noisy. As soon as got into the Tesla I was amazed of how quiet and smooth it was. There are better EVa than Tesla out there, however Tesla technology and software is the best in the world - all others try to imitate it but Tesla is 10 years ahead. I just tired self driving - FSD- compete blown away how accurate it is and how the car drives itself - neural engine writes its own code. I was at the Mercedes Dealership and talking to the service people - they said MB is trying to imitate Tesla - software wise - but is having lots of problems- service sees lots of the new 2024 vehicles in service with software issues and it takes hours to resolve and 4 hrs of updating the software - basically it’s a whole day appointment just to do a software update from Mercedes. MB doesn’t allow the customers to do it. Teska does its updates at home and it takes 20min to complete. No dealer visit. Love the MB interior and build quality but I can’t stand the noise and transmission jerkiness, rough ride , up/downshifting, tiptoe of 9 speed transmission sounds fancy but there’s a serious problem with it - I think it’s the software interacting with sensors and mechanics. Maybe next suv will be a Porsche.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Thumbs up

- Yes MB GLE350 had much better build quality. Tesla is made with cheap plastic. However, Coming from GLE350 4Matic - I found the ride rough and noisy. As soon as got into the Tesla I was amazed of how quiet and smooth it was. There are better EVa than Tesla out there, however Tesla technology and software is the best in the world - all others try to imitate it but Tesla is 10 years ahead. I just tired self driving - FSD- compete blown away how accurate it is and how the car drives itself - neural engine writes its own code. I was at the Mercedes Dealership and talking to the service people - they said MB is trying to imitate Tesla - software wise - but is having lots of problems- service sees lots of the new 2024 vehicles in service with software issues and it takes hours to resolve and 4 hrs of updating the software - basically it’s a whole day appointment just to do a software update from Mercedes. MB doesn’t allow the customers to do it. Teska does its updates at home and it takes 20min to complete. No dealer visit. Love the MB interior and build quality but I can’t stand the noise and transmission jerkiness, rough ride , up/downshifting, tiptoe of 9 speed transmission sounds fancy but there’s a serious problem with it - I think it’s the software interacting with sensors and mechanics. Maybe next suv will be a Porsche.
I'm so glad you like what you paid for, software it's totally different subject,
MB soft is not just bad, it's obsolete an outdated, they are trying to catchup, but problem is, most of the developer are offshore, same as Boeing, you get what you paid for, MAX soft was written by engineer for a few dollars, we all know what happened after.
At the beginning Tesla was hiring top candidates throwing money like crazy, now they are throwing (laying-off) workforces will see where it all goes.

so, you happy with what you got, I'm happy with what I have, hey, we are doing good !
Old 04-20-2024, 07:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,886 Posts
PFL205.064
There were new discoveries by other forum members on why the transmission may be behaving the way it does (in short, it is not able to react properly to the ECU's demands). The solution? The transmission issue likely have to do with the oil pump solenoid so unplugging it helps the transmission make correct shifts at the correct time, more on it in the big thread.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
There were new discoveries by other forum members on why the transmission may be behaving the way it does (in short, it is not able to react properly to the ECU's demands). The solution? The transmission issue likely have to do with the oil pump solenoid so unplugging it helps the transmission make correct shifts at the correct time, more on it in the big thread.
LOL sounds like Windows XP, problems,!? Just Reboot. By “” unplugging”” do you mean removing the battery terminal ?
I recently had a cracked Fluid Washer Tank - replaced for $3,500. MB SA said this is common in Mb , due to vibrations etc I’m thinking so why wasn’t this fixed under a recall !? Follow the money.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
LOL sounds like Windows XP, problems,!? Just Reboot. By “” unplugging”” do you mean removing the battery terminal ?
I recently had a cracked Fluid Washer Tank - replaced for $3,500. MB SA said this is common in Mb , due to vibrations etc I’m thinking so why wasn’t this fixed under a recall !? Follow the money.
No.

Oil pump solenoid, read more on it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...solenoids.html
AllenChicago (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Cracked Fluid Washer Tank due to vibrations, total BS, if it's true whole body must bend so bad so plastic will crack per where it sits on the car. Some heated washer tanks develops leaks but it's due to heating.
One of the comics should create a movie about manufacturers responses to customers requests, what kind of BS they throw at us, what IQ # do they think we have?
Old 04-22-2024, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
No.

Oil pump solenoid, read more on it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...solenoids.html
Thankyou for the reference. I'll share it with my Mercedes Benz dealer technician when I take the car back to him on April 30th. He wants to keep it 2 days, because the 3 hours he had it last week wasn't long enough to figure out why the downshifting from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 is frequently so harsh. The car is nearing 500 miles and is downshifting smoother with the "A" (Auto start/stop) left active, but not as smooth yet as my wife's 2022 GLE350.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Thankyou for the reference. I'll share it with my Mercedes Benz dealer technician when I take the car back to him on April 30th. He wants to keep it 2 days, because the 3 hours he had it last week wasn't long enough to figure out why the downshifting from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 is frequently so harsh. The car is nearing 500 miles and is downshifting smoother with the "A" (Auto start/stop) left active, but not as smooth yet as my wife's 2022 GLE350.
Keep in mind this is an experiment, I would not recommend sharing with your MB technician, we don't want MB to intervene with what we are doing on the forums, this solenoid was intentional by MB anyways, we are technically going against what MB designed. Evaluate the risk or if you want to proceed with unplugging or not by reading that thread, especially if you have a warranty, this might void it.

Edit: Long story short this solenoid controls the oil pressure, and at low RPMs, it drops it from normal oil pressure to low to help save fuel, this solenoid's only benefit is to save fuel with many consequences discussed in the thread linked, hence why we decided to unplug it, to improve the longevity of the engine.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 04-22-2024 at 01:51 PM.