GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Hi from Land Down Under - Australia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
I experienced that message once. Like others, it was an EXTREMELY heavy rain - probably one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest i ever saw. When the rain let up a little the message disappeared
Old 12-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Teckno
Hi, Combined 78,000km in both GLC and not an issue, no snow or ice, but some intense rain in city freways and open country highways, where other cars had pulled over.
Originally test drove Lexus NX in moderate heavy rain storm on country highway at night, whole safety system shut down, with warnings.
Quick online manual stated if heavy weather then safety syst stopped working,,,, not happy.
Very impressed with MB systems.
Agree Teckno, My two incidences in 36,000 miles not something I consider a problem.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
On the boring tyre matter !!!
Saw in Hawaii on a GLC 300 with 18” rims.
Cross Contact LX Sport, SSR, Continental, treadwear 480, M&S,
Size 235 / 60R18, 103H. Tyre has an inside and outside install requirement, interestingly one tyre was installed with inside facing out, !!!! Poorer workmanship, these I think were fitted later, not by MB.
They were Tubleless, not RFT !!
Not many 18” rims in Oz, but interesting to see fitted. Unable to ask any questions of owner, as they were not around.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Stop the Presses !!
This is from our UK sister site....

“ Just had a very interesting telephone call with mercedes customer help about tyre replacement for the crabbing complaints on glc models.They have said that when my car gets delivered next week if i have a problem with tyre crabbing that they would replace the tyres with all season tyres but also as of yesterday they have engineered a different suspension knuckle that helps alleviate the crabbing problem and it would more than likely be that this would be there first action that they would do.Hope this is true and it helps anyone who is having this issue.
unfortunately mine was built before this rectification was done at build stage. “

“ I was contacted by Mercedes UK yesterday they say they have identified an engineering solution to the problem and, will retrofit the new parts in January, FOC under the 3 year warranty. A little bird tells me that they won't recall every vehicle they will only do those where there has been a complaint. “

Maybe something along the way to a solution, may not eradicate, but may help with tension and alignment settings........

This is worth making more enquiring with MB Oz and Dealers, my guess is feedback may not happen until Feb 19 here at the earliest, given UK are RHD like ours........
Old 12-24-2018, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Recall for some GLC models re software issue with passenger airbag deployment, here in Australia.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...passenger-cars

Appears those with Command system are not affected.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi from All of us Down Under.
It’s Xmas Day here, so best wishes to all, stay safe and enjoy .
Special thoughts to our emergency workers and our Defence personnel, wherever you serve.
Par Oneri.
The following users liked this post:
62bassman (12-26-2018)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New article from UK re impending release later in 2019 of GLB.
Also possible update on GLC release info at Geneva motor show. Looks like MB have a lot of things going on, especially in the smaller car segment.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/merced...rce=newsletter

Cheers
Old 01-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 200 x253
Hi- how do I setup the Mercedes Me app for remote start? Is that available in Sydney?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At this stage the App is not supported in Australia.
Talk for the last 12 months has indicated it might get over the line and be activated. I think Aust Govt legislation and ADR issues are delaying it.
We are still a Third World country when it comes to certain issues with compliance.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Info re concerns with keyless entry being hijacked by scanner and amplified signal to open your car when keys at home, inside, but near car.... no need to put them in an RFID sleeve.

According to Mercedes-Benz website (https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pass...ip.module.html) on recent Mercedes cars the proximity function of the key can simply be deactivated and reactivated.

Quote: "When you have your hands full of shopping or your key fob is buried in your bag, Keyless-Go is a very handy feature. It’s important to remember, too, that for all of our current models and those produced since 2014, our Keyless-Go keys can be simply deactivated by pressing the lock button twice.
A light will flash to show that the key has been de-activated, and it can be re-activated by pressing any button.
By deactivating the key, it can no longer be compromised – great for when your car is parked outside your house or close to where your fob is stored.
If you keep a spare key at home, this should also be deactivated when it’s not being used to ensure ultimate security."

This works with Aust GLC remotes with keyless entry, well it does on ours.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
tiger_x (01-19-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Info re concerns with keyless entry being hijacked by scanner and amplified signal to open your car when keys at home, inside, but near car.... no need to put them in an RFID sleeve.

According to Mercedes-Benz website (https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pass...ip.module.html) on recent Mercedes cars the proximity function of the key can simply be deactivated and reactivated.

Quote: "When you have your hands full of shopping or your key fob is buried in your bag, Keyless-Go is a very handy feature. It’s important to remember, too, that for all of our current models and those produced since 2014, our Keyless-Go keys can be simply deactivated by pressing the lock button twice.
A light will flash to show that the key has been de-activated, and it can be re-activated by pressing any button.
By deactivating the key, it can no longer be compromised – great for when your car is parked outside your house or close to where your fob is stored.
If you keep a spare key at home, this should also be deactivated when it’s not being used to ensure ultimate security."

This works with Aust GLC remotes with keyless entry, well it does on ours.
Good luck.
Yes it should work on all GLCs.
I keep a spare key in my car in case of losing a key when away from home. I use this method to disable the key so that it is not constantly being recognised by the car.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
Hi Techno wondering whether you went ahead with ext. warranty. If yes who with and how much?

I did try Allianz with a Sydney dealer, they wanted $4k for cover to 150k.

Thanks

Re extended warranty for my GLC's and daughters Mazda.
Well the hunt continues, at this stage just reading through the PdS to see whats in and whats excluded.
Think I will lock in ERIC as insurer and select the 5 year extension, with a 200k limit; that way cars are covered for full 8 years as we intend keeping them and I will not be travelling more than 200k in those 8 years, more like 140-160k. Pricing looks to be sub $2500 for each car, sub $2000 for Mazda, which is cheaper than Allianz costs supplied by some MB dealers, but a bit dearer than Mazda dealer policy, which is very restrictive.
So some peace of mind as ERIC policy seems to mirror OEM Mercedes first 3 year warranty.
I am dealing with an Insurance Broker who seems very reasonable with options and recommendations; though still leaving me options for myself to make final decision, based on our own circumstances; being offered choices is most appealing, not a "one size fits all" approach some take.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,
David Blackman <david.blackman@coveru.com.au in NSW.

I ended up getting 3 policies, our cars already in use. ERIC Ins have two types of policies I think, we took 5 Year plan that kicks in after OEM stops.
Our Dealership at the time did not sell extended warranty. Other MB dealers were dearer and offered les features and cover.
David was very helpful.

Price will vary, we got discounts with 3 cars. Price has gone up from others who have used him, my guess for 5 years maybe $2800 ??? Really depends on car Km, age, etc. Eric ins may have updated risk profile of GLC too ?
Good luck.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
Thanks Techno. In the end went with Redbook 3 yr manufacturer extended warranty for $2,460.Appears to be comprehensive cover. It is underwritten by Americas largest extended warranty insurer. Also notice no complaints with ASIC or NSW Fair Trading.

Hi,
David Blackman <david.blackman@coveru.com.au in NSW.

I ended up getting 3 policies, our cars already in use. ERIC Ins have two types of policies I think, we took 5 Year plan that kicks in after OEM stops.
Our Dealership at the time did not sell extended warranty. Other MB dealers were dearer and offered les features and cover.
David was very helpful.

Price will vary, we got discounts with 3 cars. Price has gone up from others who have used him, my guess for 5 years maybe $2800 ??? Really depends on car Km, age, etc. Eric ins may have updated risk profile of GLC too ?
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Copy of an article in a Fleet Owners magazine.
Hopefully this may flow down to our various cars here in Oz. FYI.

Car manufacturers demand quieter tyre technology

Posted By: Marcon: January 30, 2019In: Global News, Maintenance

Demand from car manufacturers for quieter tyres to improve the experience for novated lease and fleet buyers has always been high. As the quality of vehicle sound proofing improves it becomes quieter inside the cabin, so the focus turns to external sounds such as road and wind noise from tyres.

Pirelli OE tyres equipped with innovative Pirelli Noise Cancelling System (PNCS) technology numbered 78 by the end of 2017. One year later, the figure increased by 100%, now making a total of more than 150.

This system created by Pirelli has been on sale since 2013 and is increasingly requested by the world’s best-known carmakers, especially those in the premium and prestige sectors, to offer greater comfort to drivers and passengers.

Pirelli are not the only manufacturer with this technology. Most tyre manufacturers supplying OE fitments have developed noise cancelling technology. Hankook supplies OE tyres to several vehicles including the Audi Q7. They claim the sound absorber reduced noise by 4-6 decibels.

How PNCS technology works

This technology is designed to reduce perceived noise on the inside of the car, derived from the interaction between the road surface and the tyre itself. Thanks to Pirelli’s PNCS, this road noise can be reduced by up to 25%, as if the car were travelling on only three wheels.

It’s made possible thanks to the use of a specific sound absorbing material placed within the tyre, which absorbs vibrations in the air that would otherwise be transmitted to the inside of the vehicle, creating annoying background noise. This ‘sponge’ is made from foam consisting of open cells that maximise the working surface of the material, intensifying the deadening of vibration, and therefore reducing noise.

Tyres equipped with this technology can be recognised by special markings on the sidewall, which depict a speaker and soundwaves with a bar through them, next to the PNCS symbol. Owners of vehicles equipped with PNCS technology are advised to always buy appropriately marked tyres specifically made for their cars, in order to continue to enjoy the advantages of this relaxing technology. Of course, it’s also important to look after the tyres properly: maintaining the correct tyre pressures as advised by the manufacturer also helps to contain road noise.

Maurizio Boiocchi, Pirelli’s Executive Vice President of Technology and Innovation, said “Alongside tyre development, Pirelli also works every day on technology designed to improve the lives of each and every motorist: Run Flat and Seal Inside minimise the risks associated with punctures, while PNCS improves comfort on journeys.

These specialities are much in demand from premium and prestige carmakers, helping to ensure the highest standards of quality. Pirelli’s contribution can be seen from nearly 3100 homologations, of which more than 770 are linked with these specialities, and more than 720 are marked tyres that identify the actual car manufacturer.

The presence of technology such as PNCS within our products demonstrates to drivers the importance of choosing tyres that have been specifically developed for their cars, when it comes to changing rubber. That’s the only way in which drivers can get the very best out of their cars, which will then continue to benefit from the characteristics built into them by the engineers responsible for the original design.”

Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Recently found article.

Australian car buyers want longer test drives, less pressure to buy and better informed sales staff when shopping for a new vehicle, according to the J.D. Power 2018 Australia Sales Satisfaction Index Study.

The J.D. Power study is one of the biggest of its kind, surveying 3075 Australians who either purchased or leased a new vehicle between March 2018 and January this year. They were asked how satisfied they were with the experience, focusing on six specific areas: the sales staff, delivery process, the dealership itself, negotiating the price, the required paperwork and the dealer's website.

And it wasn't all doom and gloom for dealerships, with Holden and Mazda landing in shared first place for customer satisfaction in the mainstream manufacturer segment (ahead of Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Volkswagen, Honda, Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Hyundai). BMW took first position (ahead of Audi and then Mercedes-Benz) in the premium car market.

Among the findings for this year's survey was that test drives are too short to make a proper decision about a vehicle. While 80 per cent of shoppers take a test drive, 70 per cent of those people spend less than 20 minutes in the car. But buyers who get a longer test drive (31 minutes or more) are happier with the buying experience.

The study also found that high-pressure sales tactics are still used, mostly for younger or first-time shoppers, and that buyers want collecting a new car to feel like a special occasion. Just over half of buyers say they remember a special ceremony occurring when they took delivery of their new car (be it uwrapping the vehicle or even balloons), with J.D. Power suggesting those kinds of celebrations spark an increase in customer satisfaction and in the likelihood a customer will recommend a dealership to family and friends.

“Given the slowdown in sales, it is essential that sales consultants spend the required time with each shopper to identify the best model and variant for their requirements,” says J.D. Power country manager – Australia, Bruce Chellingworth.

“Simply ‘pushing metal’ won’t help the dealership gain positive referral, ensure customer loyalty or promote the brand. In an increasingly competitive market, it is imperative that dealers understand and build trust with their customers.”

We took Lexus overnight and test drove GLC at 3 dealers for around 35 min each time, looking at different aspects as ‘small groups of features’’ each time to confirm or challenge thoughts.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tyre article re crabbing from UK.

Recent update from UK re tyre issue.

May be a solution – issue will be road design , camber, material in Oz compared to UK.
Hopefully UK solution will work n Oz – Hopefully MB Oz are secretly testing to see if it works here.

“ Our dealer fitted the re-engineered front wheel suspension struts and knuckles today

After fitting the new components, a full-wheel alignment test showed an adjustment of a couple of degrees was required, as expected.

With the weather today being dry and mild at 10 degrees, I couldn't make a full comparison to assess whether this has fixed the crabbing. But have to say the car does feel 'more planted' without any trace of the slight-twitchiness previously felt through the steering wheel. I'm quietly confident this will be a big improvement and dare I say, be the permanent fix we are all so hoping for

Watch this space

For reference – 2017 GLC 250d AMG Line on 20" wheels fitted with Good Year All Season Run Flats “

Feedback from Oz owners will be useful.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UK MB Solution for Steering Knuckle front suspension fix for tyre knocking and tyre scrubbing......

Australia has been very quiet.
Initial ENQUIRIES made in Feb and again this month, silence is deafening......
Yes RHD market, maybe road camber or bitumen is different, but I would have thought the UK solution would be the same for Oz.
Maybe we have to contact Daimler in Germany to stir up some Oz response ??
Hopefully action will occur soon, Winter is Coming, lol.

UK is rolling out this free fix, so far owners are reporting significant improvements and are very happy. Supply chain seems to be well stocked to replace assembly with new replacements.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the link to UK Dealer video. We do not have this option in Oz as far as I know.

Here's the links to the footage on the MB StarView platform if you are interested:

Before knuckle swop

During knuckle swop

After knuckle swop

Cheers
Old 04-24-2019, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ANZAC Day in Oz tomorrow morning, starting with Dawn services.

[img]blob:https://mbworld.org/21c56ec3-b174-4a34-a4f3-

Pierre Seillier for magnificent artwork

Lest We Forget.

To our Allies from yesterday gone to those who stand with us today, and tomorrow - thank you.

Par Oneri.

Last edited by Teckno; 04-24-2019 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Art
Old 04-30-2019, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting sales figure for US and the GLC.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...espite-decline

Mercedes-Benz managed to retain its top spot in the sales charts for luxury cars in the United States in 2018, a year that saw most brands report lower sales than the previous period.

Mercedes was included in the list of brands that reported lower sales, with its 2018 tally minus commercial vehicles coming in at 315,959 units, down 6.3 percent on 2017's numbers.

Popular models like the C-Class, GLE and GLS saw the biggest declines in 2018, likely because updated or redesigned versions are either reaching showrooms now or arriving shortly, meaning many buyers may have held off.

One model that saw a substantial rise in sales was the GLC, which experienced a 43.3-percent increase in sales to end the year at 69,727 units, making it Mercedes' most popular model for the year.

I wonder how sales figures were in Oz for the GLC ? In 2018.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC steering and knuckle fix.......

It appears other RHD markets have the approved fix.
UK since Dec 18
Ireland, and now
New Zealand, April 19.

Quote from a GLC owner in NZ.

“All thanks to head of Mercedes-Benz New Zealand's intervention in this matter, which has certainly restored my faith in the Mercedes-Benz brand.
PS: I have attached the photo of the steering knuckle assembly.”

MB Australia has been very silent, If they were sub mariners, they have dived deep and running silent - to avoid the depth charges from owner GLC’s on the surface!!!!
About time we sent down a sonar tube to expose their location and take action.....
Please MB Oz, lift your game and communicate with your customers.

Surely Australia cannot be so backward and the only market in the RHD fraternity to miss out, especially when NZ matters seem to be managed from MB Aust HQ in Mulgrave.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good news for a change.
Reports coming in that Mercedes has activated “Mercedes Me” here in Oz.
Requires owner to go online to MB, register your details and enter VIN and then download either Android or IOS from App Store ‘Mercedes Me’.
Looks like the adapter is fitted under dash into OBD port.
Once registered, visit your dealer to collect adapter and complete activation.
No idea if adapter is free or if the ongoing App is free during ownership, will find out soon no doubt.
Recommend you go online and start the registration , good luck.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update re Mercedes Me. - Delays in stock levels. Told to I cannot book in on first in, best dressed ! I have to wait and ring in to see if stock arrived, really.

Surely this day and age a Dealership can create a guest list and let applicants know when to come in, for issue. No idea of cost at this stage = looks like car needs to be connected to server and software update, so a cost to owner ?

More to follow.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 250d AMG pack
Hi Techno,
I'm following this closely as I'm interested, I just looked at the features with Mecedes Me Australia comparable to USA and England /Europe there is one missing ,parking in tight space and can move the car forward via phone apps ( cannot remember whats been called). I may overlooked that. Also the cost associated with the connection ( internet connection ( how to connect ), adaptor etc.. But anyway keep us informed on the latest ....Thanks
Cheers
Ceasar

Last edited by ceasar m; 05-08-2019 at 03:58 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hi from Land Down Under - Australia