GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Overview: Mercedes COMAND Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Overview: Mercedes COMAND Infotainment System

This overview of the Command System is by Alex on Autos. Generally I like his reviews as they tend to be pretty thorough. The system Alex demonstrates on this video is from the new C Class sedan, but as far as I know it is identical to the Command system in the GLC. Those really in the know can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

At the end of the video Alex states that you can not enter a destination while the car is in motion by way of the controller or touchpad. On our test drive, my wife was able to do that, but perhaps we were going slow enough for it to be allowed. Then perhaps, at a higher speed, we would lose that ability. If this is true, it will be quite a disappointment to me. Can current users comment on this please?

The following users liked this post:
winlotto (03-08-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4, 2014 Nissan Leaf
Originally Posted by mdsbuc
This overview of the Command System is by Alex on Autos. Generally I like his reviews as they tend to be pretty thorough. The system Alex demonstrates on this video is from the new C Class sedan, but as far as I know it is identical to the Command system in the GLC. Those really in the know can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

At the end of the video Alex states that you can not enter a destination while the car is in motion by way of the controller or touchpad. On our test drive, my wife was able to do that, but perhaps we were going slow enough for it to be allowed. Then perhaps, at a higher speed, we would lose that ability. If this is true, it will be quite a disappointment to me. Can current users comment on this please?

I can't say as regards to the GLC as I haven't taken delivery yet but every car I have owned with NAV will not let you enter addresses when the car is moving (for obvious safety reasons). Some let you enter a previous destination that's already stored. As technically advanced as new cars are, you would think they could figure out whether it was the driver or passenger trying to enter an address. Will voice control work while you're moving?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Mickfx
I can't say as regards to the GLC as I haven't taken delivery yet but every car I have owned with NAV will not let you enter addresses when the car is moving (for obvious safety reasons). Some let you enter a previous destination that's already stored. As technically advanced as new cars are, you would think they could figure out whether it was the driver or passenger trying to enter an address. Will voice control work while you're moving?
BMW allows you to do it. Alex mentions another manufacturer that does as well, maybe Audi? I think that it should at least work when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat, which as far as I know, all new cars have sensors in that seat already, to determine if an airbag needs to be deployed or not. The Nav system could tap into those sensors to determine whether destinations can be added with the controller.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not applicable
Like most of the people I am also waiting GLC delivery.... For those cars I or my family own, all does not allow you to input address (or dial phone number) while car is moving. Button icon in touch screen will be "grayed" and no response when you touch.

However, voice command does work all the time. So if you really need to do that while car is moving, then try to practice to "talk" with the car~
Old 03-07-2016, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
My c class will not allow me to enter while in motion using the controller but the voice does work while driving. Have not tried on GLC.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Originally Posted by mdsbuc
BMW allows you to do it.
Yep...
Old 03-07-2016, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
So does VW.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLC300 4Matic
thanks for sharing the video. I like the bigger and clearer temperature adjusting wheel icons in this video. GLC only puts very small numbers at the corners of the screen. I hope Mercedes can improve this in the GLC command system update.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211
My car Navi is MB Navi , but Im using a SD card to running Navi . It doesn't matter , I didn't use it at all because everytime I enter the details it cannot be find the address
Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Sedan
2018 GLC here with Multimedia Pkg/ Nav in USA...no motion disabling on the vehicle, full access to all nav controls while moving, unlike my 2014 C- class.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
2016 GCL250 Australian version here. COMAND package, 8" screen, Burmester sound, HDD Navigation.

Navigation destination can be entered while vehicle is in motion at any speed, either via Voice control, selection via the control knob - letter by letter, or even by drawing the letters on the touch pad (which I find very distracting, so do not use)
Voice control works most of the time. ( does have issue with some of our native Aboriginal place names though!!)

Re Temperature, large dial indications, this is accessed via entering in the dedicated A/C screens.
While other screens are visible, the A/C settings are summarized by the small icons along the bottom of each screen.
Caveat ...this is in my 2016 AUS model, unless later changes to the software or regional variations.)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
2017 GLC with command. I enter destinations all the time at freeway speeds (probably should not admit that). When travelling I like to gas up at Costco when available, so I often use the nav. controller knob to find the nearest Costco while driving down the freeway.