GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Sound System Up Grade Advice (Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250D
Thank you fabbrisd1 and Ian of Sydney, I really appreciate your input and comments.

Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
The Focal speakers (ES100) required very little internal door modification. The installer had a little issue in placing the Focal crossover box for the tweeters. There are no visible signs. The sound is outstanding. It's a Nike...
Thats good news!

Are you using additional amplification or straight from whatever was factory installed in the car?
I have a meeting with an installer soon and would appreciate some more details about your solution/s.

All best
Old 03-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
The plan was to upgrade the amp, but the installer suggested just wait and first let the speakers settle in; about 20 hours of use. He was right. The sound is crisp with clear vocals and instruments. As bass is not my thing, you may need a trial and error strategy. Cheers
Old 03-18-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
If it's not too much to ask, can someone measure the size of the front door speaker grill? I read somewhere that its about 80mm or 3.14". I would have thought it would be larger since our door speakers are 100mm or ~4". Also do you guys know if our doors are exactly the same as the C-class W205?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Now that we've had the GLC for 2 months, the stock non-burmester speakers are finally breaking in. Much better than what came with the Audio 20 on the C Class W204, but supposedly far short of the Burmeister option, which for $850 is a no-brainer.

The JL Audio speakers are a quality option (JL Audio is owned by my son-in-law's family(, however I understand that they are not as efficient as other speakers - the last spec I read was at 88dB/1 watt, about 6 dB short of the 94dB/1 watt spec for the Infinity Kappas, for example. In simple terms, 6 dB more efficiency means 4 times the perceived volume for the watts you have available from your headunit.

I will investigate shortly other ideas, however congrats on your JL installation!!!! Remember that the system will sound much less congested after about 30 hours of cone break-in.
I've been reading conflicting information regarding the stock non-burmester system. Does the base stock non-burmester include a stock amp in the trunk? Most installers that i've spoken with swears that all stock mercedes systems they've done in the past has an amp and is not powered straight from the headunit. Can you confirm? thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
In general same "system" as non-Burmester W205 - please see the extensive threads there..