GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Sound System Up Grade Advice (Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gl-C, ML 350
Sound System Up Grade Advice (Aftermarket)

Hi All...

So I just got a 2016 GL-C (I bought a GL-A and returned it 5 months later...not even the same universe of vehicle).

Anyway...I got the "Launch" Edition with just about every option available except one really, really big one...NO BURMEISTER SOUND SYSTEM!

I could have waited a while to find the same vehicle with it but I couldn't wait because of the GL-A trade issue (long story there).

So there are some high-end reputable car audio shops by me and they say they can make it so the MB controls the sound system they install (which is mandatory for me) not cut holes in my doors etc.

I upgraded an ML450 once but it was pre high-tech era so the controls we're an issue.

I am looking for any advice about this topic from my fellow MB owners. The audio shop says it can be about 5000 dollars to "do it right" (which is sad because the Burmeister system ROCKED and was only about a 2500 dollar option (I think).

Anyone with any experience in these matters I would be forever thankful of your kind advice. Of course the audio shop says they'll "smoke that Burmeister system"...who knows.

Thanks!

Last edited by DietDoc; 03-24-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
$2500 for Burmester? $5000 for a audio shop to do an aftermarket install? Methinks you're not in the United States. If so, it would help everyone if you stated what country you're in.

(Burmester is an $850 upgrade in the US.)

Also, for what it's worth: It's "GLC" not "GL-C".
Old 03-25-2016, 12:36 AM

Gl-C, ML 350
Thanks for the reply. I was guessing at the cost of the Burmeister audio upgrade...thought I recalled seeing that as the cost but that was probably either another options cost or the total of a few. Now I feel even worse not getting that system! I am in fact in the USA (Maryland).

I was on the phone for a couple of hours today with two sound shops. One quoted me 8000-10,000 dollars to up grade my stereo, another says 5000-6000 dollars and that they do MB almost exclusively. They also claim they can provide much better sound for that cost than the Burmeister, which I did like a lot but couldn't wait on an order because I had bought and titled a GLA and was returing it and had to act.

Call any high-end audio shop and ask them the average cost to install a high end audio system in a MB...you won't find anything under 5000 dollars and that's for a basic system. It is what it is. I put a system in my ML450 and it was 6000 dollars in 1998.

This is why I was asking...to see if anyone had any ideas. I asked MB if they could switch out my Harmon Kardon with a Burmeister and they say yes...for 22,000.00 dollars. I swear this is totally true. Seems unbelievable but again, ask a dealer yourself to confirm.

This is my 7th new MB and my first time going below the E class...why the hell I bought a CLA I have no idea...I had just crashed my Lexus GX470 and needed a car and wasn't really thinking enough about it. I only drive about 4000 or 5000 miles a year now so I figured it was all I needed but I really disliked it. I had it for 5 months and paid 41,000 dollars (before about 3000 in taxes and fees) and after 5 months they gave me 39,500 for it, which I thought was really fair considering I had it for 5 months. So I returned it and bought the "Launch" edition with every possible option available...except the better sound system. I even unlocked the 'head unit' so all the features work while driving. But the sound system blows...I can add subs and better door speakers for under 2000 dollars but it will only be slightly better...the bigger cost is replacing the amps.

I do love the GLC...it's as well appointed as the E's used to be and way above what C's used to be...looks like I either have to live with mediocre audio or pay a heafty price to do a full up grade.

Like Mic says: "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you'll get what you need".

Any advice is always appreciated.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C300 (2016), Mercedes-Benz GLC300 (2017)
I am not kidding...

If you like the Burmeister system and consider that high-end and equivalent to what you'd install via an aftermarket solution: Sell your current car, buy a new one with the Burmeister option. Assuming you'd lose less than $5,000-$8,000 in trade value, you'd be ahead of the game.
The following users liked this post:
DietDoc (05-23-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW
No way I would spend 5k+ on a sound system of a GLC300..... If we are talking an AMG car that your in love with maybe, just live with it, or trade it in and get what you want.

I'd drive the car until the AMG GLC comes out and trade up to that WITH premium sound.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:28 PM

Gl-C, ML 350
So thanks jdag for the good advice, I actually did exactly what you advised! Last week I sold my 2016 GLC Launch Edition and got the new GLC AMG Edition (Edition, not model...AMG body style, AMG Spoked Rims with AMG Badging, upgraded brakes, some electronic upgrades, but it's not the full AMG engine, which I don't need or care about).

I got what I think is an unbelievably great deal...I paid 51,000.00 for the GLC Launch Edition (lots of options but Harmon Kardon crappy sound system) and for LESS than the difference in sticker price (a little over 5000 dollars, 56,000 and change sticker) I got the AMG upgrades, an AMG Edition Badge and Burmester Sound System (Yay) for 3500 dollars plus tax on only to difference (a few hundred dollars). So for about 1/2 the cost of just upgrading the sound system with Alpine components I got way better sound and a nicer body style, an interior I like a lot better than that funky orange color that come with the launch edition, the nicer rims etc. and saved 3000 plus dollars. I think giving me almost what I paid for the GLC Launch months after I bought and drove it around is really cool of my dealership. Anyway, finally happy and thanks jdag, I didn't think it would work because I'd lose 10,000 not 1000!

Funny, technically I bought 3 new MB in 5 months...GLA to GLC Launch Edition to GLC AMG Edition. Crazy, eh?
mindi (06-25-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C300 (2016), Mercedes-Benz GLC300 (2017)
Originally Posted by DietDoc
So thanks jdag for the good advice, I actually did exactly what you advised! Last week I sold my 2016 GLC Launch Edition and got the new GLC AMG Edition (Edition, not model...AMG body style, AMG Spoked Rims with AMG Badging, upgraded brakes, some electronic upgrades, but it's not the full AMG engine, which I don't need or care about).

I got what I think is an unbelievably great deal...I paid 51,000.00 for the GLC Launch Edition (lots of options but Harmon Kardon crappy sound system) and for LESS than the difference in sticker price (a little over 5000 dollars, 56,000 and change sticker) I got the AMG upgrades, an AMG Edition Badge and Burmester Sound System (Yay) for 3500 dollars plus tax on only to difference (a few hundred dollars). So for about 1/2 the cost of just upgrading the sound system with Alpine components I got way better sound and a nicer body style, an interior I like a lot better than that funky orange color that come with the launch edition, the nicer rims etc. and saved 3000 plus dollars. I think giving me almost what I paid for the GLC Launch months after I bought and drove it around is really cool of my dealership. Anyway, finally happy and thanks jdag, I didn't think it would work because I'd lose 10,000 not 1000!

Funny, technically I bought 3 new MB in 5 months...GLA to GLC Launch Edition to GLC AMG Edition. Crazy, eh?
Fantastic! Need my address for the payment?

Enjoy!
DietDoc (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 AM

GLC300
Are you sure BURMEISTER sound system can not be added for $850 later? I know the dealer would want labor but it is swapping some speakers and maybe changing some software?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:40 PM

Gl-C, ML 350
First thing i asked about/inquired into

Originally Posted by CA_GLC
Are you sure BURMEISTER sound system can not be added for $850 later? I know the dealer would want labor but it is swapping some speakers and maybe changing some software?
So naturally, at least until I saw the AMG Edition and like it a lot better anyway...I tried to get the dealer to "swap out" the Harmon Kardon with the Burmester...they said if they could do it that it would be well over 10,000 dollars up to 20,000 dollars...I know this sounds INSANE but it's THEIR insanity, not mine...I am literally quoting what they told me.

Remember, this is a dealer and basically a bureaucracy so they can't think outside of their corporate box and have to price things as they appear in parts lists and labor estimate tables.

What do you or anyone think the full GLC AMG sticker price will be? Just curious.

I imagine it would be over 70,000 dollars because there are NON-AMG GLCs in the mid 60K range (that's with every option, full radar, parktonix etc. etc.). Personally I can see paying 50K for a very well equipped GLC but if you're going to hit 80K I'd go for a GLE Coupe...but everyone has their own taste. It just seems a bit much to pay 80K for a C Class vehicle.

Last edited by DietDoc; 05-25-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM

GLC300
I think the only thing we can do i keep asking MBZ to allow us to purchase for $850 later. Or we can maybe keep calling around to find a dealership willing to work with us.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
First option: Aftermarket Speakers

Recently leased a GLC, and wasn't initially impressed with the sound of the stock stereo, although the music was Bluetooth streamed which is always an inferior and distorted source. However I have yet to audition a MB product with the Burmeister system and will take original AIWW CDs with me to form a professional opinion. Crutchfield has not yet determined what fits in the GLC, snapshot below, but as with the C-Class, there will be few aftermarket options available.

As with the W204 C-Class, a problem encountered with upgrading the stock Audio20 system to the HK Logic 7 system was the wiring harness - it is completely different and the rear sub amplifier was fed with a Toslink fiber optic line. Some had suggested that it was easier to just trade in your vehicle than to try and retrofit a MB with the HK or the Burmeister system.

The first option, and which thousands of owners of the W204 have done, is to upgrade their sound with more accurate and efficient aftermarket speakers, some have added a subwoofer. As the logic and process is the same, the W204 forum link is here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html

In a week I will post some options on how to improve the stock GLC sound system. Perhaps a simple speaker upgrade will provide excellent quality sound!
Attached Thumbnails Sound System Up Grade Advice (Aftermarket)-screen-shot-2016-05-29-8.43.04-am.png  
Old 05-29-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic, 2006 C180 Kompressor, 2007 S550 AMG Package
I recently drove a GLC as part of the launch and I have got to say it's a great car. I am not sure how my 14 year old W211 can have a 1000x better sound system than a brand new one but I would recommend a focal upgrade as that would give you the same high end as the Burmester.

Last edited by w203ck; 05-30-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 PM

GLC300
Anyone know the spec's for our stock base model speakers? I think as long as the Ohm rating / Peak watts are the same, should be fine.

However DO NOT mess with the amp. That could void the warranty or cause nightmare electrical problem.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 350
upgrading stock system in my new GLE

Hi all. I just bought the new 2016 GLE 350 sport with night package and leather! Love this car sooooo much. My only complaint is the stock sound system. Wish I could upgrade or do something without having to pay 5000-10000 dollars as mentioned above, and I don't want to trade in my wonderful car. What are my options from savvy mb owners? Was thinking I could just call the dealership and have it upgraded as I am doing that to get the illuminated star. But after reading this thread, looks like that's not the best option.
Suggestions
Old 06-19-2016, 07:18 PM

Gl-C, ML 350
Which system did your E class come with? I can't imagine an E coming with a Harmon Kardon...So if it's the Burmester you have a very decent audio system...17 speaker, 1200 watts is not shabby...it's not audiophile quality but damm close...tell us which one it is and go from there.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:50 PM

GLE 350
Which system did your E class come with? I can't imagine an E coming with a Harmon Kardon...So if it's the Burmester you have a very decent audio system...17 speaker, 1200 watts is not shabby...it's not audiophile quality but damm close...tell us which one it is and go from there.
You know that's a good question. It does not say the name of the system on the specifications upgrades on the car. And I am not sure which system is standard on the E. I will call the dealer tomorrow to ask...... However if it was the Burmester system.....would it not say on my specification sheet? Or is that on usually standard?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:43 PM

GLE 350
Hey Doc
Got any pics of your new amg? I like the GLC and went to look at that one first. Just decided to go with the GLE mainly cause I just fell in love with the look. Sport package with AMG wheels. What's yours look like? Here's some pics of mine.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:42 AM

Gl-C, ML 350
Wow it that baby beautiful! Congratulations! E's are more lavish than C's to be sure! I got the C because I loved the size. I wanted to downsize as it just me and my guitars.

So as far as I know there's a very easy way to tell if you have Burmester or Harmon Kardon. Are your speaker grills silver or black? If they're silver you have the better system. As I mentioned I can't imagine an E class with a crappy Harmon Karson system but I'm no expert.

I actually first purchased a GLC with a Harmon Kardon system but 6 weeks later traded up for a model with a Burmester, but the new model also had the same AMG package as your E (wheels, body styles and some other up-grades). I do like it a lot. Never thought I'd own a C class because when they first came out I hated them. They didn't seem to have MB DNA but this new line is a game changer. And now there's the new A class which is was the C class was years back.

I posted one picture of my vehicle under an ad...if you type Dietdoc GLA into the forum search you'll see a pic if you're interested. Nice chat, thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Probably just me but that E interior looks more dated than the GLC interior? The air vents aren't as dainty etc.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:16 PM

GLC300
Hi Bill - any news on your GLC options? I've been following some of the W205 threads. Match DSP had some harness issues...looked the same but someone said it had some compatibility issues. The Audison Prima DSP/Amp combo is the only one that is verified to work and has a harness.

Just had my Focal KRS100 components installed yesterday. The door panel design is slightly different than the W205 sedan. Not a lot of space for the crossover box but it fit. I'm happy with modest improvement. Can special order the rear speakers for only $200 more.

Does anyone know where the stock sub is? If same as W205 sedan it is some place above the footwell area.

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Recently leased a GLC, and wasn't initially impressed with the sound of the stock stereo, although the music was Bluetooth streamed which is always an inferior and distorted source. However I have yet to audition a MB product with the Burmeister system and will take original AIWW CDs with me to form a professional opinion. Crutchfield has not yet determined what fits in the GLC, snapshot below, but as with the C-Class, there will be few aftermarket options available.

As with the W204 C-Class, a problem encountered with upgrading the stock Audio20 system to the HK Logic 7 system was the wiring harness - it is completely different and the rear sub amplifier was fed with a Toslink fiber optic line. Some had suggested that it was easier to just trade in your vehicle than to try and retrofit a MB with the HK or the Burmeister system.

The first option, and which thousands of owners of the W204 have done, is to upgrade their sound with more accurate and efficient aftermarket speakers, some have added a subwoofer. As the logic and process is the same, the W204 forum link is here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html

In a week I will post some options on how to improve the stock GLC sound system. Perhaps a simple speaker upgrade will provide excellent quality sound!
Attached Thumbnails Sound System Up Grade Advice (Aftermarket)-img_0397.jpg  

Last edited by CA_GLC; 06-25-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Now that we've had the GLC for 2 months, the stock non-burmester speakers are finally breaking in. Much better than what came with the Audio 20 on the C Class W204, but supposedly far short of the Burmeister option, which for $850 is a no-brainer.

The JL Audio speakers are a quality option (JL Audio is owned by my son-in-law's family(, however I understand that they are not as efficient as other speakers - the last spec I read was at 88dB/1 watt, about 6 dB short of the 94dB/1 watt spec for the Infinity Kappas, for example. In simple terms, 6 dB more efficiency means 4 times the perceived volume for the watts you have available from your headunit.

I will investigate shortly other ideas, however congrats on your JL installation!!!! Remember that the system will sound much less congested after about 30 hours of cone break-in.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
Also had my front door speakers and tweeters upgraded. Brought the Focal K2 ES100 package. All up cost $650 plus installation. Now after about 20 hours, the stereo sounds much better. But need to spend time setting the EQ to your like. Using Adele's Hello as a test song, set my EQ to T3 M0, B6 and F1+. Don't think I will upgrade the amp, etc. Thinking of upgrading the rear door speakers
Thank-you for your assistance.

Last edited by Ian of Sydney; 03-15-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Wrong product description
Old 03-12-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
Also had my speakers upgraded and installation of 2 front tweeters. Brought the Focal K2 ES100 package. All up cost $650. Now after about 20 hours, the stereo sounds much better than the standard A20 system. But need to spend time setting the EQ to your like. Using Adele's Hello as a test song, set my EQ to T3 M0, B6 and F1+. Don't think I will upgrade the amp, etc. Thank-you for your assistance.
Hi,

quick question, did the 'Focal K2 ES100' fit in the GLC without the need of irreversibly modifying the doors?

There is another kit available (in Japan only it seems) 'ES 80K for MB', which is a smaller speaker and it seems to be a drop in replacement.

Looking at the pictures it seems like ES100 is not a 'drop in' kit? (ES100 has 4 mounts, ES80 has 3 (they provide the 'adapter' as seen on the attachement), original MB also has 3 as far as I gathered).

Thanks!

Last edited by MK42; 03-12-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Drop-In's are elusive - not-as-much the mount - as the clearance...

There are some obscure Rainbow 10cm MB set that will work - for me that ES80 the basket is too big... again, best to research on the W205 forum where they have had some great enthusiasts work thru all of this..
MK42 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
Originally Posted by MK42
Hi,

quick question, did the 'Focal K2 ES100' fit in the GLC without the need of irreversibly modifying the doors?

There is another kit available (in Japan only it seems) 'ES 80K for MB', which is a smaller speaker and it seems to be a drop in replacement.

Looking at the pictures it seems like ES100 is not a 'drop in' kit? (ES100 has 4 mounts, ES80 has 3 (they provide the 'adapter' as seen on the attachement), original MB also has 3 as far as I gathered).

Thanks!
The Focal speakers (ES100) required very little internal door modification. The installer had a little issue in placing the Focal crossover box for the tweeters. There are no visible signs. The sound is outstanding. It's a Nike...

Last edited by Ian of Sydney; 03-15-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo
MK42 (03-15-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound System Up Grade Advice (Aftermarket)