GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Acoustic Glass, Driver/Passenger Doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Three questions about Acoustic Glass LI

I know there are 5 or 6 steps in the LI to troubleshoot wind noise around the front windows. I was wondering:
  • Does it REQUIRE testing AT SPEED to confirm noise. My SA said they did a “Sonic” test, during my first visit, with a transmitter inside the car (sitting still) and walked around with headphones on the outside to pick up any noise “leakage”. Totally irrelevant in my mind to this LI.
  • Does it involve removing/repositioning the mirrors? My SA implied it does and they might make it worse if they mess with them
  • After going through the diagnostics in the LI, the “fix” is to install Acoustic Glass, correct? Again, my SA said you had to HAVE Acoustic Glass to GET Acoustic Glass. That’s ridiculous. That would be true in a warranty type repair, but the fix IS the Acoustic Glass in this case.
I will def open a ticket with MBUSA if they don’t check it out properly. Taking it in next week.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Wow that’s a lot of nonsense. I believe you’re being lied to, at least in part. My dealer did none of this.

In my case they did a road test first. They said that the first mitigation was installing different seals and sashes in the front doors to prevent wind noise from entering the cabin. The SA said the first mitigation was not adequate, and so they moved to the next step: replacing my two non-acoustic front windows with acoustic glass. As it happens, the warranty manager was nearby as my SA was delivering my car. She recognized my name and introduced hersel, and then said to please let them know if the acoustic glass did not resolve the problem to my satisfaction.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman
Wow that’s a lot of nonsense. I believe you’re being lied to, at least in part. My dealer did none of this.

In my case they did a road test first. They said that the first mitigation was installing different seals and sashes in the front doors to prevent wind noise from entering the cabin. The SA said the first mitigation was not adequate, and so they moved to the next step: replacing my two non-acoustic front windows with acoustic glass. As it happens, the warranty manager was nearby as my SA was delivering my car. She recognized my name and introduced hersel, and then said to please let them know if the acoustic glass did not resolve the problem to my satisfaction.
Thanks, that’s what I expected to happen on my first visit. I think one problem is my market is VERY small compared to say, Denver. My SA did say he had only run across this once, so it’s not an LI they’re used to performing. I will make very clear I expect them to follow the LI to the letter.

BTW, do you know if thy did a dB type test at speed or was it totally subjective? Didn’t know how much wiggle room they have to say “oh, that’s normal”.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLC 300 4Matic
Only have acoustic glass on my 19 windshield. Disappointed but haven't driven on the highway long enough to notice significant wind noise.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
18 GLC 300 4M
This thread is interesting. On our '18, only the windshield has the acoustic logo -- the side windows do not. My wife drives it primarily and hasn't noticed it being noisy, but is never on the highway. When we first got it, I felt it to be slightly noisier than my BMW, but figured that was due to the run-flats. When the BMW had run-flats, it was much noisier, too.

I wonder why some cars have it and some don't.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:00 PM

2019 GLC 300 4Matic
Are they really trying to troubleshoot this sound issue with tape?? Can anyone describe the wind noise sound? Is it like a vacuum?
Old 10-04-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo xc70
I just sited the tech number from this site and they ordered the windows. Took a couple of months yto get to dealer but now have the windows installed.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:09 PM

2018 GLC 300 W / 2011 E350W, Luxury, P01, leather steering wheel
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Here is the marking . Non white backing driver side. White backing passenger side.

This one came with 2018 GLC300 4matic as OEM

It clearly said "Acoustic Glass"
Old 05-05-2022, 09:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
na
Does anybody know 851 acoustic glass is laminated and blocks UVA like the windshield does?
Old 05-13-2022, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLC 300
Originally Posted by mtberman

So you had the acoustic glass installed on your GLC 300? I'm wanting this option since I can hear the wind noise on my car.. This is my first Mercedes, a 2022 GLC300 but I think the noise is way too much for a Mercedes.. I come from a 2020 toyota highlander which many have the wind noise issue, so I'm not sure.