GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Screeching Brakes on the GLC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I have not had this issue
Old 10-13-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300
Having same issue - "they fixed it" but still the same

After having to take my GLC in twice and waiting a week and a half for the parts, I'm still having the same issue. It seems like more of a nuisance than anything but not sure if this is going to cause the brakes to wear more quickly or if it is really something that I should be concerned about. My car was built around 3/15/2016.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Lexus ES350
Brought my screamer in today

I have a May 2016 model with almost 4000 miles on it. My screeching started a few weeks ago and has been getting worse. When I dropped it off today, the dealer said that it's a thing and I will need new rear brakes - didn't make any kind of fuss. Also said he'd just done one on another GLC, but there was no official service bulletin as of yet. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
brakes squeak in reverse

I took my glc 300 in for the squeaky brakes, and they still squeak after waiting 3 months for the parts to come in from Germany.

Cold or warm weather, they still squeak.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Lexus ES350
That's not good!

I was told by the dealer today that it's the front brakes. And, surprise, surprise, there's a nationwide (USA) back-order on the parts and that there is a service bulletin about the problem.

They said they would tell me tomorrow how long that would be. In the meantime, after some stern words from me regarding safety and build quality, I am keeping the loaner car. I am sure that will change if they are looking at a 3 month time-frame.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
There are bulletins for both front and rear brake noise on glc's. simple fix, but expect parts delays. Not a safety issue so a dealer will most likely order the parts then have you come back once they arrive
Old 10-21-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC, GLK
Angry Same problem here.....

I have been waiting weeks for the brake parts on my May build car.
Have bugged the service manager but he has no eta for the parts.
NOT A HAPPY CAMPER here!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
We have 2 GLCs. No issues with one (mine), we pick the other one (my wife's) up in the morning after 2 full days in the shop. Had the horrible squeal from the brakes when backing up (they replaced the brake pads) and also the air pump for the Air Body Control suspension failed. Got both cars same day about 6 months ago, ordered them identically except for the paint color, and have most every option. Just hoping mine doesn't develop the same issues.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
I was wondering about that^^^^^^. We don't drive ours daily, so it's common for it to sit for a few days. I have noticed a squeal when backing out of the garage, but then it goes away and I don't hear it again until another trip. I'm not sure it does it every time, but I'll start keeping book on it.
Are people mostly talking about squeals when backing and only at the start of a trip? Or just normal braking? TIA
Old 10-21-2016, 10:38 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
I was wondering about that^^^^^^. We don't drive ours daily, so it's common for it to sit for a few days. I have noticed a squeal when backing out of the garage, but then it goes away and I don't hear it again until another trip. I'm not sure it does it every time, but I'll start keeping book on it.
Are people mostly talking about squeals when backing and only at the start of a trip? Or just normal braking? TIA
For us, it was every time we backed up, and got louder over the last couple of months. At first it wasn't too bad so we didn't bother to take it in for service, but once the air pump went out, it had to go in, and by now, the squealing had got embarrassing loud.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (10-21-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 12:19 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by MB190
We have 2 GLCs. No issues with one (mine), we pick the other one (my wife's) up in the morning after 2 full days in the shop. Had the horrible squeal from the brakes when backing up (they replaced the brake pads) and also the air pump for the Air Body Control suspension failed. Got both cars same day about 6 months ago, ordered them identically except for the paint color, and have most every option. Just hoping mine doesn't develop the same issues.
Update: Picked up my wife's GLC this morning. Had to back it up to get it out of the space they parked it in. Ended up immediately driving it back into the Service Check In area. My advisor was off today, so had another listen. Backed it up and he said he was sure they heard that squeal in the Showroom. I'll see what my advisor says on Monday, but needless to say I'm not happy! At least the air pump got fixed and the ride is amazingly smooth again.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:54 PM

E300, C63
Is the vehicle parked outside? because if so, this is a normal condition. Rust will build up on the brake rotors overnight and make noise when backing up.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:57 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ec_nova
Is the vehicle parked outside? because if so, this is a normal condition. Rust will build up on the brake rotors overnight and make noise when backing up.
Kept in air conditioned garage at 73 degrees, and our other GLC is as quiet as can be.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:15 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by MB190
Kept in air conditioned garage at 73 degrees, and our other GLC is as quiet as can be.
Interesting. MB bulletins on brakes very specifically state to order the part numbers in the bulletins, NOT the ones that apply to the vehicle. It also has very specific instructions on where to apply/not brake paste. I'm wondering if it wasn't followed to the T? Or perhaps it needs the discs as well. Either way I hope they get it resolved for you!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Interesting. MB bulletins on brakes very specifically state to order the part numbers in the bulletins, NOT the ones that apply to the vehicle. It also has very specific instructions on where to apply/not brake paste. I'm wondering if it wasn't followed to the T? Or perhaps it needs the discs as well. Either way I hope they get it resolved for you!
Is there a service bulletin number I can point my advisor to? Just want to have something ready in case he tells me it's just the cold weather. (It's not -- brakes have been screeching for about a month now on cold days and warm ones, and I just haven't had time to take it in.)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:10 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by Redcat255
Is there a service bulletin number I can point my advisor to? Just want to have something ready in case he tells me it's just the cold weather. (It's not -- brakes have been screeching for about a month now on cold days and warm ones, and I just haven't had time to take it in.)
the bulletin for front brakes is only during cold weather, and generally just the first application of the brakes will make noise.

For the rear, weather doesn't matter, but it is when reversing at low speed during the first application.

If the concern happens when driving, there are no bulletins that apply other than one that states to check the rotors for signs of rust/corrosion, or imprints from brake pads that indicate the car is parked for extended periods of time. In this case, front and rear pads/rotors must be replaced to remedy the concern, but it is not warrantable.

Your dealership will have access to all of this information.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:19 PM

the bulletin for front brakes is only during cold weather, and generally just the first application of the brakes will make noise.

For the rear, weather doesn't matter, but it is when reversing at low speed during the first application.

If the concern happens when driving, there are no bulletins that apply other than one that states to check the rotors for signs of rust/corrosion, or imprints from brake pads that indicate the car is parked for extended periods of time. In this case, front and rear pads/rotors must be replaced to remedy the concern, but it is not warrantable.

Your dealership will have access to all of this information.
It only happens when reversing. Made an appointment for Wednesday morning -- fingers crossed the wait for parts isn't too bad here in the D.C. Area.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Agree; it's normal. I keep mine in an unheated garage, and now that cool temps are here condensation on rotors causes a film of rust that cleans off with first application of brakes on back up.

Rotors run forward 99.9% of the time, and pads get scrubbed in that direction almost exclusively. Running backwards at slow speeds, causes reverse scrubbing and makes the pads vibrate producing a squeal. No big deal. If really bothersome, I suppose backing into the garage for overnight is an option
Old 10-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by guido3
Agree; it's normal. I keep mine in an unheated garage, and now that cool temps are here condensation on rotors causes a film of rust that cleans off with first application of brakes on back up.

Rotors run forward 99.9% of the time, and pads get scrubbed in that direction almost exclusively. Running backwards at slow speeds, causes reverse scrubbing and makes the pads vibrate producing a squeal. No big deal. If really bothersome, I suppose backing into the garage for overnight is an option
hehehe that is exactly what I do with my VW Golf R as going backwards following a damp and cold night which is like everynight in the UK it has a little squeal. So I park in the other direction and voila problem is resolved
Old 10-25-2016, 03:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLC300
My car is about 6-month old and I'm starting to hear a squeaking sound only when backing up from my driveway. The sound is very minimal but enough that you can hear the squeaking sound. I'm hoping that it will eventually disappear but with the weather getting colder, I don't know if I should expect the noise to get worse. I hate to complain and turn my car in for service when the noise is not too bad yet, but since some of you mentioned that the parts to get this fix are backed up, should I go ahead and turn it in now or wait?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300, C 300
My '16 is in overnight so the shop can test it in the cool of the morning. There is a service note out describing the symptom (backing up, early morning/cold brakes: SQUEAL when you feather the brakes (vs.s stomping on them)). The cause is front brakes - I think the pads are able to shift and vibrate when in reverse rotation of the wheels. The solution is to add shims to stabilize the pads.

This started with a trip to the dealer where I was told basically, "that's what they do, can't do anything for you". Called MBZ customer care the next day and within hours the dealer's shop supervisor called to apologize and asked me to bring it back in so he could check it. Apparently the service note is not widely advertised at the dealer service advisor level.

If someone could get the official copy posted here that would help everyone - take it with you to the dealer.

Meanwhile, I have a C300 loaner awaiting word today from the dealer service shop.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300, C 300
And the shop id'd the problem in the rear brakes - and there is a separate service note on the rear brakes they tell me. Either new pads or shimming - TBD.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLC300
I contacted my MB service and they're aware of the squealing break issues with GLC and they said they'll take care of it without further explanation.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:03 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by daffy1
I contacted my MB service and they're aware of the squealing break issues with GLC and they said they'll take care of it without further explanation.
Good Luck! My wife's GLC goes back into Service on Monday for the second attempt at correcting. 1st attempt left them squealing just as loud after they applied the recommended service bulletins. Fortunately, my GLC is still quiet :-)
Old 10-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
I'm not encouraged by what my M-B dealer's service manager told me about screeching brakes. Responding to my statement concerning screeching brakes on my GLC, he said, " they all do that, nothing can be done."

Having driven cars with disc brakes since 1984 I am well aware his statement is erroneous.

And when it reaches the point where I think its time to fix my mild case of screeching brakes, he and I will most likely have to have a come to Jesus encounter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Screeching Brakes on the GLC