GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Screeching Brakes on the GLC

Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
It will be fixed. Yesterday I visited my dealer for the 1-yr service, and the service guy reiterated exactly what fabbrisd said (#91 above). I bought my first Mercedes in 1968 and have been buying them since. I can assure you M-B will not drop the ball on this one. With patience everyone who is annoyed by this minor issue will be satisfied.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLC300
My dealer is very aware of the screeching break issue for GLC300 and also confirmed that MB has put a hold on replacing any screeching breaks until further notice. They added my name on their call list to schedule me in as soon as MB resolved the issue.

Last edited by daffy1; 12-10-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 PM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
How do you know for sure there is no safety issue? FYI - I know the roll of the NHTSA, but leave it to each owner to decide what to do. And it is not sad that my wife and others I know think it is possibly could be a safety issue. Certainly have never owned another car that has done this unless the brakes and rotors were bad.

Sad that the you would even question someone else's thinking on a potential issue, but unfortunately that is the way the world is now. Everyone is a critic of someone else, as they can hide behind the internet.

Like I said before, Mercedes has had one year to fix this problem. My wife and I are very patient people. So, is it going to go to be another year? Definitely not what you expect for a luxury SUV and unlike any Mercedes I have previously owned. Nice that we own a $55,000 Mercedes and everyone around you looks when you are going in reverse.

Originally Posted by RedwinGV
Why waste the Gov's and a business's time on this? Fix the noise, sure. But that's not the roll of the the NHTSA. As far as not being sure, that can be said about a ton of items in almost any vehicle. What if's? Really? Sad that that's the way some may think.
What safety issue concerns you?

Last edited by DBV; 12-10-2016 at 06:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BK6323 (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 4MATIC
Noise Getting Worse with Colder Weather

My GLC300 4MATIC 2017 was delivered on the first day of August. The brake noise started noticeable some time in October. It's from the right front wheel when drive in reverse in the morning. It is getting very loud recently as temperature here drops close to the freezing point. Time to call.. finally..
BK6323 (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by DBV
How do you know for sure there is no safety issue? FYI - I know the roll of the NHTSA, but leave it to each owner to decide what to do. And it is not sad that my wife and others I know think it is possibly could be a safety issue. Certainly have never owned another car that has done this unless the brakes and rotors were bad.

Sad that the you would even question someone else's thinking on a potential issue, but unfortunately that is the way the world is now. Everyone is a critic of someone else, as they can hide behind the internet.

Like I said before, Mercedes has had one year to fix this problem. My wife and I are very patient people. So, is it going to go to be another year? Definitely not what you expect for a luxury SUV and unlike any Mercedes I have previously owned. Nice that we own a $55,000 Mercedes and everyone around you looks when you are going in reverse.
Not hiding a bit. I'm expressing an opinion that an annoyance shouldn't be blown out of proportion. I have the same issue. I want it fixed. I don't believe that it's worth notifying NHTSA about it. You think otherwise. We disagree.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC
Originally Posted by DBV

@DBV:

Registered this evening to chime in on this issue; new owner x 6 months, with squealing brakes loud enough to wake the dead (and the neighbors) each AM at 6AM, not exactly what I was looking for when I bought the vehicle -- which, apart from this issue, has been great...

Contacted MBUSA today via email.

Last edited by BK6323; 12-11-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:48 AM

Honda Accord
Sorry to hear - is anyone having this issue in California as well please, or is it more in the East coast winter...
Old 12-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300, C 300
Same issue

Same issue here in Northern California; dealer performed factory bulletins both front and rear pads replaced, copper grease, etc. Noise returned within a month.

Emailed service advisor and am on the list for whatever the next bulletin recommends.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:36 PM
DBV

Just an update, our GLC is now making the noise when braking moving forward too. Unbelievable. Really embarrassing.... Mercedes should be ashamed, as anyone who hears this noise would never want to buy this SUV.
toohard (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 PM

GLC
Update: lawyer and # in chicago

Hi everyone,
So, I did consult with an Illinois Lemon Law Lawyer to just get his thoughts since he has won cases against Mercedes Benz before. I also just found out from my dealer in downtown Chicago, IL that there are 60 GLCS with the SAME problem. They will not provide a loaner in the meantime or do anything else.
The lawyer said that we do have a case, but that Mercedes Benz is the best of the best and that if they say they are researching it, then trust that they are and it will get taken cared of ASAP because of their reputation. He said if this was a different/cheaper car, he's settled cases very quickly, but remarked that MB is like "scorched land" bc they are so good at what they do, it will be difficult to fight.
I do not want to go the legal route because of time, $, etc. I am just very frustrated as a 3rd generation MB owner, and from my family alone this is our 5th MB we bought from the same dealership and this does NOT reflect any of my experiences both on the sales, service, or performance end. HOWEVER, this is ridiculous and unacceptable when everyone at MB (the guys I know in sales, service, and MBUSA reps) are not returning calls/emails, and when they do after I pester them, it is "We cannot do anything more and sorry for the inconvenience" does not cut it.
Is there a class action lawsuit out there?? We're hitting below zero degrees this week and it is terrible to have a car make this screeching noise worsening by the day. No one can argue that this is not a safety issue when 1) they cannot identify the problem and 2) they have no solution for it.
LMK if anyone has pursued other actions.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300
Chicago suburbs. Same problem. Took delivery in April. Problem started with about 5,000 miles. It steadily got worse until wife was backing out of garage and driveway a few days ago. It was so bad that I could hear it on the other side of our house, indoors, while watching TV! Given that she is backing up at about 2mph, it is REALLY LOUD.

I took it to MB of St Charles (Chicagoland) and the service manager said to just wait until MB comes up with the fix. I had to drive to another area of Chicago and decided to stop in to MB of Westmont. Same story from them - wait for the permanent fix. They seem to all be aware of it.

The wiper blades chatter. We've had the windshield buffed, replaced the wiper blades, etc.

Other than that, we absolutely LOVE the car.

Edit Dec 13: Now wife reports they squeal while braking forward at slow speeds. So they squeal forwards AND backwards now!

Last edited by Jetfuture; 12-13-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 PM

GLC300 4matic
I have had my GLC300 since August and the screeching has been in reverse for about two weeks now. That last couple of days (as the weather has turned colder here in Texas) I have noticed it happening in drive as well but not nearly as loud as reverse. Guess we just wait and see.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:58 PM
DBV

Thanks for the info. That is amazing they have 60 at one dealership with that problem. So, if Mercedes does come up with a fix, how long will it take for them to fix all these GLC's with the same problem? Sounds like it could be a long time.

Since I first complained about this issue last Jan, what has Mercedes been working on that whole time? They have had almost a year to fix this issue.

I prefer not go the legal route either, but if people that have this issue want to go that way, if there is no solution soon, then count me in.

I wonder if this is happening to European GLC's too? I have not heard anyone from Europe chime in with this issue.

Originally Posted by ssrsz
Hi everyone,
So, I did consult with an Illinois Lemon Law Lawyer to just get his thoughts since he has won cases against Mercedes Benz before. I also just found out from my dealer in downtown Chicago, IL that there are 60 GLCS with the SAME problem. They will not provide a loaner in the meantime or do anything else.
The lawyer said that we do have a case, but that Mercedes Benz is the best of the best and that if they say they are researching it, then trust that they are and it will get taken cared of ASAP because of their reputation. He said if this was a different/cheaper car, he's settled cases very quickly, but remarked that MB is like "scorched land" bc they are so good at what they do, it will be difficult to fight.
I do not want to go the legal route because of time, $, etc. I am just very frustrated as a 3rd generation MB owner, and from my family alone this is our 5th MB we bought from the same dealership and this does NOT reflect any of my experiences both on the sales, service, or performance end. HOWEVER, this is ridiculous and unacceptable when everyone at MB (the guys I know in sales, service, and MBUSA reps) are not returning calls/emails, and when they do after I pester them, it is "We cannot do anything more and sorry for the inconvenience" does not cut it.
Is there a class action lawsuit out there?? We're hitting below zero degrees this week and it is terrible to have a car make this screeching noise worsening by the day. No one can argue that this is not a safety issue when 1) they cannot identify the problem and 2) they have no solution for it.
LMK if anyone has pursued other actions.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:40 PM

2016 GLC 300 4 MATIC
GLC 2016 Brake

Originally Posted by DBV
Just an update, our GLC is now making the noise when braking moving forward too. Unbelievable. Really embarrassing.... Mercedes should be ashamed, as anyone who hears this noise would never want to buy this SUV.

It is getting worse and worse and now my brake sounds when I brake moving forward, backwards. I cannot stand the sound.
I am filing the lawsuit right now.
I will keep you guys posted how my case settles, in case I win, I will give you guys all the lawyer information too.

Last edited by toohard; 12-12-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4MATIC
1) My case: In Chicago area. Got the GLC this mid-August. Recently the squeaking is getting louder and louder possibly due to the drop of temperature. In particular, now it squeaks whenever brake is applied - so in both direction driving (forward & backwards). It is extremely annoying and embarrassing when driving on the road and no other cars (many are much cheaper) are making similar squeal.

2) I did a brief search online and found similar cases also exist for other luxury cars, including BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc. HOWEVER, I believe the percentage of other luxury cars having similar squeal issue is rather low compared to that of GLC 300, which obviously implies a design/material/engineering bug of the GLC.

3) I will also file a complaint to Mercedes tomorrow and drive to the Chicago service center just to let them know they have one more angry customer to deal with.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:59 PM

2016 GLC
-

Last edited by BK6323; 12-13-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:24 AM

2016 GLC
>

Last edited by BK6323; 12-13-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:03 AM

GLC
Just one question to all of you that have the brakes problem: are all the cars glc300 model ?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLC 300; 2019 E53 Sedan
Originally Posted by Julgardo
Just one question to all of you that have the brakes problem: are all the cars glc300 model ?

This is the GLC300 portion of the forum, so I think the answer is yes.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by richmondR
This is the GLC300 portion of the forum, so I think the answer is yes.
I don't have a GLC300.......I have a GLC250d with very minor brake noise occasionally! !
Old 12-13-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLC 300; 2019 E53 Sedan
By the way, I wanted to add my own thoughts on my wife's GLC300 and the screeching brake issue. We are in Minnesota. For the first couple months, we would have a noise only in reverse but that has now hanged to both reverse and forward now, especially when the vehicle is coming to a stop

Firs of all, I think the term "screeching" should be changed to "screaming" (smile) ... I have never heard a brake noise that loud or obnoxious before. The closest noise I recall was probably from the school bus I was on 40 years ago. (big smile)

It is at the least very embarrassing as at least one other poster has pointed out. Its also distracting as when something that loud is happening on your car it takes your attention away from the road. Also, if you are having the sort of metal to metal contact you would need to have to make such a hideous noise, well ... that cant be good for the brakes or the car, can it?

I have faith that M-B will resolve the issue but my wife, who normally drives the car and loves it otherwise (with the exception of mbrace) is pretty angry right now and its not helpful when we hear from the service people something on the order of "wow, yeah, that's a real problem and MB is working on it and you just have to put up with it in the meantime." It would be one thing if this was a bit of a squeal that came and went, but this REALLY LOUD.

For what its worth, I seem to have a little luck making the problem go away, at least temporarily, by (while taking care about what is behind you) putting the car in reverse, taking my foot completely of the brake, letting the car go backwards about a car length or two and then applying the brakes firmly. You'll get a screech (sorry, scream ... smile) from the brakes but then it doesn't seem to happen as often until the car is parked again and cools off. I don't have enough data points to confirm if this is a temporary fix, so maybe others can try. Please be careful if you do.

Last edited by richmondR; 12-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
DBV (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC 300
Hello,

Same Issue here on our GLC Got the run around from the dealer ship - "you probably acid washed your wheels" for months now, until I showed them them the massive internet discussions about this problem. They now notified me that they will replace all brakes and are waiting for parts. This was last week.

I will start another post on the front suspension vibration issue as well. MB is aware of this problem and has issued notice. I will try to attache this here as well.

Gruss,

Sven
Attached Files
DBV (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 04:40 PM

GLC 300
MB had the same issue with the Sprinters. The cause there was too much play on the fit between the precision bolts and the brake caliber. New/different bolts resolved the issue there.

Sven

Originally Posted by ami-sven
Hello,

Same Issue here on our GLC Got the run around from the dealer ship - "you probably acid washed your wheels" for months now, until I showed them them the massive internet discussions about this problem. They now notified me that they will replace all brakes and are waiting for parts. This was last week.

I will start another post on the front suspension vibration issue as well. MB is aware of this problem and has issued notice. I will try to attache this here as well.

Gruss,

Sven
Old 12-13-2016, 06:49 PM

mercedes glc300
GLC sounds like a city bus

Please contact me if anyone starts a class action suit. I would have never purchased this vehicle if the dealer made me aware of the problem.
I have been unable to get any satisfaction from the dealer or Mecedes directly.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:57 PM

GLC 300
Communicate in writing only. send them some links to these forums were this problem is being discussed. Demand resolve and responses in writing only.

Good luck!

Sven

Originally Posted by tobi19
Please contact me if anyone starts a class action suit. I would have never purchased this vehicle if the dealer made me aware of the problem.
I have been unable to get any satisfaction from the dealer or Mecedes directly.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Screeching Brakes on the GLC