GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

How to ask for compensation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
How to ask for compensation

So i purchased a glc from my local dealer back in December and had 0 follow up since. The salesman never relied to my emails and i had to physically visit the dealer to find out any details regarding my order. The dealer told me they would contact me roughly a month prior to my car arriving to sort out financing and give me time to prepare insurance. However i had to go to the dealer and ask when my car would arrive and the salesman told me end of month. However delivery was delayed and i wasn't notified so i went back again at the end of March asking when it would arrive this time i was told 6th of April. It's now April 8th and they don't know where the car is only that it's en route. So my question is can i ask for compensation and what should i ask for and how should i ask?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
You must live in Cincinnati
Old 04-08-2016, 11:39 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by JEVA
You must live in Cincinnati
No i actually live in Canada...
Old 04-09-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
No i actually live in Canada...
Which dealer is it? Better to avoid it in the future.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:56 AM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Mystic2k
Which dealer is it? Better to avoid it in the future.
Star motors Huntclub rd. Ottawa
Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 AM

2016 GLC 300; 2019 E53 Sedan
Jason -- I can try to suggest a few things, but a comment and a couple of questions:

First, I wouldn't go in and demand some money at first ... it sound like you are mostly frustrated with the service level you are getting, so I would focus on making it known that you are not happy. Also, at least from the facts above, we are talking about just a week or so, so to me ... unless there were definitive promises made as to a delivery date ... this is more about customer service than a major problem like JEVA is going through in the order thread.

Are you just dealing with the salesperson? Are the interactions friendly when you are there? I'm just trying to get a feel for things if you don't mind sharing.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Just straight out ask for it. Read my posts in the thread "GLC Waiting Room"...I had had a similar unpleasant experience that I'm in the process of resolving. Hence my comment above. Don't be afraid to walk away...why do business with someone who is not interested in treating you properly?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+1
Old 04-09-2016, 08:17 AM

X253
My personal experience - the sales person hit a parked car while he was driving my brand new GLC. Damaged was side mirror with some paint scratched. I asked for free maintenance service to settle it. In fact , if i din pursue for compensation, he would walk away with replacement of the side mirror housing only
Old 04-09-2016, 10:43 AM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by richmondR
Jason -- I can try to suggest a few things, but a comment and a couple of questions:

First, I wouldn't go in and demand some money at first ... it sound like you are mostly frustrated with the service level you are getting, so I would focus on making it known that you are not happy. Also, at least from the facts above, we are talking about just a week or so, so to me ... unless there were definitive promises made as to a delivery date ... this is more about customer service than a major problem like JEVA is going through in the order thread.

Are you just dealing with the salesperson? Are the interactions friendly when you are there? I'm just trying to get a feel for things if you don't mind sharing.
I was dealing with just the sales person and he seemed friendly or tries to be but i always get a feeling that he is trying to brush me out the door when i first walked into the dealership to buy the car nobody even acknowledged me i had to ask for service. Also the salesman responsible for my order just got fired and i wasn't notified until i walked into the dealer asking where my car is currently at.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:46 AM

GLC 300

Also I'm not demanding a huge discount or anything I'm just wondering if i can get say a window tint or prepaid service out of this for their horrible service over the past four months
Old 04-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
1st step has to be escalating your dissatisfaction to the sales manager for the dealership. Better to do it whilst the issue is ongoing than to wait until the transaction has been completed.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:08 PM

I agree talking with the Sales manager and the sooner the better. The fact that the guy you were dealing with was fired ... if that was your "face" of the dealership ... indicates there was probably a bigger problem.

I would ask to talk to the sales manager, ask if he can "show" you where the car is on his computer (just say you don't trust anything the fired guy said), tell him with some detail the bad experiences you had with the fired guy and say that the whole experience (is this your first MB?) has put you off to the brand. Start the whole conversation in a friendly way saying you are "dissatisfied" and can he offer you anything to make it up. If he asks what you have in mind (a common tactic to establish a top end), politely decline and say that you'd really rather leave that up to him. That will give you a chance to counter offer.

Keep it pleasant ... "you catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar." Remember this is supposed to be a very enjoyable experience and you are just trying to keep it that way.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 PM

GLC 300
I agree talking with the Sales manager and the sooner the better. The fact that the guy you were dealing with was fired ... if that was your "face" of the dealership ... indicates there was probably a bigger problem.

I would ask to talk to the sales manager, ask if he can "show" you where the car is on his computer (just say you don't trust anything the fired guy said), tell him with some detail the bad experiences you had with the fired guy and say that the whole experience (is this your first MB?) has put you off to the brand. Start the whole conversation in a friendly way saying you are "dissatisfied" and can he offer you anything to make it up. If he asks what you have in mind (a common tactic to establish a top end), politely decline and say that you'd really rather leave that up to him. That will give you a chance to counter offer.

Keep it pleasant ... "you catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar." Remember this is supposed to be a very enjoyable experience and you are just trying to keep it that way.
I me the sales manager yesterday and he offered me a loaner car while i wait for my car to arrive but i'd rather get some stuff for my own car can i still do that? Or does the fact he has offered me a loaner vehicle mean I'm outta luck?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:35 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
sounds like terrible service......if it were me, I'd walk to teach them a lesson......no BS you know? this is supposed to be 'the best or nothing' and we have to HOLD them to that motto

good luck
Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by hyperion667
sounds like terrible service......if it were me, I'd walk to teach them a lesson......no BS you know? this is supposed to be 'the best or nothing' and we have to HOLD them to that motto

good luck
trust me i've considered that option but i NEED a vehicle NOW!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Is there another dealer nearby i.e. Toronto, Montreal to buy a Car.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:39 AM

2011 GLK 350
Star motors Huntclub rd. Ottawa

Probably avoidable, that's FAR FAR FAR away....
Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 AM

I me the sales manager yesterday and he offered me a loaner car while i wait for my car to arrive but i'd rather get some stuff for my own car can i still do that? Or does the fact he has offered me a loaner vehicle mean I'm outta luck?
Jason --

You said you need a car right now, so the loaner represents real value to you, right? Did you accept the loaner? If so, I'd consider the matter closed if your car arrives soon. If there are additional delays, or a screw up with the order, then its fair to ask for something more. I guess you could, without sounding like a jerk, ask for a free service or something like that in addition to the loaner, or a discount on an extended warranty if you are going to keep the car long term. Speaking of which, I don't know if you you have your financing pinned down yet but remember that ... more potential negotiation points and opportunities to ask for stuff.

I guess you could get aggressive, but i don't want to be perceived that way and I think I do pretty well and don't leave a lot of money on the table either in the purchase agreement or at closing. Also, I don't think you want to, after waiting all this time, go to another dealer and start over with a car off the lot. I think your current dealer would think you're crazy ... "his sales rep is fired and I offered the guy a free loaner ... and he's walking away?"

Anyways ... good luck. I used to visit Ottawa regularly for business and I love the town. Canadians are friendly and just generally polite .. I suspect that's how things should go at the dealership.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Guess I should consider myself fortunate.

Am treated like a king in both the local Chevy and MB dealership. And it sure isn't because of good looks or big money.

Was not looking forward to the, "buying a new car process". It was however, painless or nearly painless, except for the paying part (there goes my wife's kitchen remodel). The salesperson was knowledgeable and didn't attempt to sell me something I didn't want. Or talk me out of something I did. There was no pressure to buy coverage for wheels/tires and such.

Most of us know windscreen washer fluid is nothing exotic. However, in order to avoid any possible warranty issue, decided to use MB fluid. When I inquired, the parts department manager gave me a gallon of full strength fluid with instructions to dilute it.

Upon placing our order on 23 Dec. was informed could expect delivery early Apr. I immediately went into the loud whine mode. To placate me the sales manager allowed they would modify a vehicle previously ordered for stock to my specification. That process worked and we took delivery 12 Feb.

When I had a question concerning one of the front windows the lead service writer (22 years with the dealer) looked at it, called me next day to inform me they were going to replace it. Several days later received email detailing an appointment.

All in all I'm a happy camper and gaining greater appreciation for how fortunate I am to have a great dealer.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 AM

GLC 300
Jason --

You said you need a car right now, so the loaner represents real value to you, right? Did you accept the loaner? If so, I'd consider the matter closed if your car arrives soon. If there are additional delays, or a screw up with the order, then its fair to ask for something more. I guess you could, without sounding like a jerk, ask for a free service or something like that in addition to the loaner, or a discount on an extended warranty if you are going to keep the car long term. Speaking of which, I don't know if you you have your financing pinned down yet but remember that ... more potential negotiation points and opportunities to ask for stuff.

I guess you could get aggressive, but i don't want to be perceived that way and I think I do pretty well and don't leave a lot of money on the table either in the purchase agreement or at closing. Also, I don't think you want to, after waiting all this time, go to another dealer and start over with a car off the lot. I think your current dealer would think you're crazy ... "his sales rep is fired and I offered the guy a free loaner ... and he's walking away?"

Anyways ... good luck. I used to visit Ottawa regularly for business and I love the town. Canadians are friendly and just generally polite .. I suspect that's how things should go at the dealership.
I sent the sales manager a lengthy email outlining my dissatisfaction yesterday I'll see what happens on Monday. I was told I'll get a loaner if my car is still not in by Monday. Either way i will see if i can atleast get a window tint. I normally isn't very aggressive but i feel i should show them a little attitude as i haven't been taken very seriously throughout this entire process. I won't be financing anymore I'll be pying cash so i guess that's one less area of leverage? Anyway thanks for the advice I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
trust me i've considered that option but i NEED a vehicle NOW!
I hear you, good luck again
Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good luck to you. As Larry said, my buying process was totally painless like his. Ordered my car exactly the way I wanted it. The dealer took care of the rest. Kept constant contact with me thru the whole process and has checked in with my wife since delivery on more than one occasion to make sure she is happy with the car.

Last edited by dieseldoc; 04-10-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
[QUOTE=dieseldoc;6766983
.... and has checkup on my wife since delivery on more than one occasion.[/QUOTE]

WHAT?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The dealer has checked in with my wife to make sure she is happy with the car and that there are no issues as well as to make sure she understands all the controls on it since it is quite different from her GL we traded in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to ask for compensation