GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Audible park assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche Macan Turbo
Audible park assist

Hi, new mb owner as of a couple days. We noticed there is no audible beeping with the park assist feature as you approach objects while parking, is that the norm w mb? We have heard it beep on occasion, but only once or twice. I parked about 12-18 inches from my car and nothing. I called my SA and he said this is normal?

I'm used to the audible beeping in my Porsche and expected the Benz to have the same. Instead, we have to rely on the images (which are fantastic and crystal clear, much better than my car), however, that was a bit unexpected. Still glad we added the option for surround view, but a little disappointed as I've grown accustomed to the audible tone as I near objects. The self parking feature is pretty cool, but call me old fashioned... Not sure when I'll use it.

Would love to hear thoughts from the seasoned mb owners out there.

TIA.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
There is an audible warning.....you say you have heard it yourself!!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 AM

Porsche Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by decorily
There is an audible warning.....you say you have heard it yourself!!
I guess I've heard the car make an audible warning of some sort, but not really sure what's causing it. We have tandem parking in my condo complex, and we're also right next to pillars. I haven't heard any audible noise from the GLC detecting either the pillar or my car.

I checked the manual after my post, it does say there should be an audible warning, but that is also counter to what my SA told me.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
You probably have the audible warning. I have noticed, compared to my previous car, that the sensors do not warn until I am very close (too close) to an obstacle. The audible warning only sounds when very close to an obstacle. Perhaps you don't tend to get that close!!
The following users liked this post:
slw23 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
350 sd
Originally Posted by decorily
You probably have the audible warning. I have noticed, compared to my previous car, that the sensors do not warn until I am very close (too close) to an obstacle. The audible warning only sounds when very close to an obstacle. Perhaps you don't tend to get that close!!
That's how it works. Like down to the last bar on the dash. I like my Excursion backup alarm which sounds louder and faster as you get close to an object. It also has a mute to silence the beeping if it is an annoyance.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:55 PM

Porsche Macan Turbo
Ok, interesting (or maybe not so much. My car also beeps faster the closer you get, and then goes to a solid tone when I'm less than 12 inches away from an object. Guess I'll have to rely on the on-screen image.

Appreciate the replies!
Old 05-10-2016, 02:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
This is not unusual. I have heard complaints on reviews (both consumer and professional) complaining about the lack of audible audible tones while backing up. Usually, it comes after complaining about how easy it is to rack up the price while adding options "it comes standard on Lexus" or "This option isn't as expensive on Lexus". I feel like telling them "BUY A FU**ING LEXUS THEN!!!". It sure does beep at you when you signal to go into a lane when there's a car in your blind spot though!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Honestly, I like it the way it is. On cars that beep a lot, it happens so often that you tend to ignore it after a while. On my X6, I nearly backed into a car in a crowded parking lot at night because it was beeping at me the whole time I was backing around due to a nearby snow bank. Luckily I was watching the rear camera and spotted the car before I hit it but it was close.