GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Wheel Vibration when hitting small bumps in road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 SL550
Can you duplicate the "taking me out of the lane" you describe to the MB techs? If so I would wonder why an unexplained lane departure at high speeds was still considered safe.
The following users liked this post:
GreyGLC2016 (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
have you road tested with a technician at the dealership and duplicated the lane departure? Because if that's the case, there is zero chance ANY dealership would release the vehicle back. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you are grossly exaggerating what the vehicle is actually doing. I've worked on cars of all makes for many years, and have NEVER seen ANY issue on a vehicle either new or old/neglected that could even cause the concern you describe.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:29 PM

2007 SL550
Aw ... exaggeration in a car forum. Who would have thought it possible. LOL
Old 10-15-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 cayman s - 2017 Macan S--
He is not exaggerating.And I Hope you and your car never experience this.

Because it a lease car your best bet is going through the lemon law. Don't know what state your in and how many times you have to bring it in for them to fix to start a claim.
Just start the paper trail. They have all ready admit that there is a problem with the filing paper work with the ptss . It has nothing to due with it being safe to drive.Find out the lemon law in your state. File it yourself or find a lawyer.
Force MB to find a fix by filing a lemon law claim.
Fortunately I did not have to go this route. Because I was offered only 2,000 less than what I paid for it after 6 months of owning it.
Good Luck

Last edited by RRrocco; 10-15-2016 at 09:53 PM.
GreyGLC2016 (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 12:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4 matic
Originally Posted by FirstBenz@62
Can you duplicate the "taking me out of the lane" you describe to the MB techs? If so I would wonder why an unexplained lane departure at high speeds was still considered safe.

The issue is listed on the PTSS case, but technician indicates "NO ISSUE FOUND" Unless they are driving with me 24/7 not sure how I can duplicate this - they had the car for 5 days.
jeffzou (10-19-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 530
Originally Posted by GreyGLC2016
I agree getting rid of it is the best thing do at this point. Its a lease though, so I cant sell it. And that's another reason I have been waiting all this time on MB. When I first inquired about getting rid of the car MB said I would be breaking the lease and be subject to penalties -even though there is an issue under investigation - because they deem the care safe to drive. The only other option they offered was to get into a different MB car, which is exactly why I got into this car in the first place (got rid of the C300 for the GLC). I'm also hearing that this issue isn't only on this model its on other 2016 new releases - so I don't want to get into another MB. I like the GLC, if they could fix it I'd be happy with it. But yes I remain concerned that while waiting for a fix, something not so enjoyable may occur.

I also inquired with lemon law and was told my car doesn't qualify because mechanics report shows safe to drive.

Forgive my ignorance but I've had no experience like this ever with any other vehicle. So from what I've been told by MB, I feel like I'm stuck with the car or I pay penalties to break. Are there any other options I may not be aware of for my situation?
what other 2016 new releases of MB are you referring with the same issue?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:14 AM

GLC300 4 matic
Originally Posted by ec_nova
have you road tested with a technician at the dealership and duplicated the lane departure? Because if that's the case, there is zero chance ANY dealership would release the vehicle back. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you are grossly exaggerating what the vehicle is actually doing. I've worked on cars of all makes for many years, and have NEVER seen ANY issue on a vehicle either new or old/neglected that could even cause the concern you describe.

I have not road tested with a technician at all. in any of the 3 dealerships I brought the car to in the past 3 months. They just had me drop the car off, typed up my issues on the work order and then called me when they were done to pick up the car. They did not request I ride with them, is this something I should request? I'm doing what is asked of me by MB. Again I will say I don't know how this process works, I have never had an issue with any of my MB cars in 14 years.

This is not the first time you have come off critical of my "claims" and that's fine, but don't insult me. I have ZERO reason to grossly exaggerate anything and I wouldn't waste time on a forum. I joined this forum hoping to gain insight so I have some idea of what is going on, and maybe learn a little more about the vehicle issue. Your resume is impressive, worked on MANY cars, old/new - that's great... but it means nothing if you haven't worked on or driven MY car. Your experience is helpful and appreciated (ive thanked you many times) but it isn't the end all and just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean that it cant be so. I'm here looking for help/guidance/advice - not looking to pick a fight or be insensitive to anyone else's claims. My work order has 7 different issues - squeaky noise in the dash, knocking noise when backing up, wheel vibration, traction light appearing for no reason when the wheel is turned all the way in left or right, and so on....I don't NEED to exaggerate. What do I get out making things up on a forum?? I've stated in almost all my posts, I've had MB for 14 years since 2002, without any issue - its my preferred vehicle. This isn't an attack on MB or its technicians, why take it so personally? I also know that I was NOT the only person to mention the lane departure on this forum so I am not the only one who experienced this.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 AM

GLC300 4 matic
Originally Posted by peterca
what other 2016 new releases of MB are you referring with the same issue?

I've seen some online articles referring to vibrating issues with the E and GLE and GL models while I was trying to look for articles related to GLC. I'm sure you can find forums on here. Ill see if I can find some and send to you.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 530
Originally Posted by GreyGLC2016
I've seen some online articles referring to vibrating issues with the E and GLE and GL models while I was trying to look for articles related to GLC. I'm sure you can find forums on here. Ill see if I can find some and send to you.
that would help thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 01:33 AM

GLC300 4 matic
Originally Posted by RRrocco
He is not exaggerating.And I Hope you and your car never experience this.

Because it a lease car your best bet is going through the lemon law. Don't know what state your in and how many times you have to bring it in for them to fix to start a claim.
Just start the paper trail. They have all ready admit that there is a problem with the filing paper work with the ptss . It has nothing to due with it being safe to drive.Find out the lemon law in your state. File it yourself or find a lawyer.
Force MB to find a fix by filing a lemon law claim.
Fortunately I did not have to go this route. Because I was offered only 2,000 less than what I paid for it after 6 months of owning it.
Good Luck

Thanks a lot for the back up! Definitely not exaggerating and I agree with you - I hope they don't have to deal with this at some point. I'm in NY but car is from PA dealer - does that matter? I will start looking deeper into Lemon Law, perhaps that will force MB as you say to find a fix faster.
Thank you again!
Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 AM

2007 SL550
Sorry that you are having so much trouble BUT if it is to the point YOU feel it is unsafe and not enjoyable then it is a serious issue. I don't see why you did not ask a tech to ride with you so that you could duplicate the issue. If it is that sporadic that it only happens once in a while it will be difficult to do. But, bottom line, if things are as bad as you say they are (and I don't doubt you) then you need to prove your claims to someone from MB or else what can they do? You NEED to PROVE it to MB no matter what it takes like getting a dash cam or something. I don't think getting a lawyer would help unless you have proof of something terribly wrong and MB refuses to help. Just my 2 cents.
GreyGLC2016 (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 10:25 AM

GLC300 4 matic
Sorry that you are having so much trouble BUT if it is to the point YOU feel it is unsafe and not enjoyable then it is a serious issue. I don't see why you did not ask a tech to ride with you so that you could duplicate the issue. If it is that sporadic that it only happens once in a while it will be difficult to do. But, bottom line, if things are as bad as you say they are (and I don't doubt you) then you need to prove your claims to someone from MB or else what can they do? You NEED to PROVE it to MB no matter what it takes like getting a dash cam or something. I don't think getting a lawyer would help unless you have proof of something terribly wrong and MB refuses to help. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks man. I guess its just my naivety that they would see and feel what I did while driving. The dash cam is a good idea, I didn't think of that. I tried once to get the vibration on my iPhone but it wasn't of usable quality. You bring up good points with me needing to show proof so I will see about the dash cam or other means of getting this on video. And I will bring it back in and ask about driving with the tech on highway at speeds that I indicated this occurs ("mostly noticed above 55 mph" is indicated on my work order).
I'm not a car enthusiast or expert, I just like a nice comfortable luxury ride and MB has always been my favorite ride. Like I said I would prefer they just resolve this quickly so I can drive my car happily and move on so that's what I have been waiting for & hoping for - looking for updates. Its just getting too frustrating and too concerning, winter is coming soon, snow on streets, pot holes all that - I just can imagine driving this car in those conditions. Ill post updates when I have some. thank you for your suggestions.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:41 AM

GLC300 4 matic
Just stumbled upon this (sorry if this went around already, but I have not seen this yet): http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...es_recalls.htm

Mercedes-Benz Recall Information
NEWS: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) is recalling certain 2016 GLC 300 SUV, GLC 300 4Matic SUV, C300 Sedan and C300 4Matic vehicles; ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL
Report Receipt Date: AUG 16, 2016
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V603000
Component(s): ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 62
SEPTEMBER 2016 -- Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) is recalling certain model year 2016 GLC 300 SUV, GLC 300 4Matic SUV, C300 Sedan and C300 4Matic vehicles manufactured February 8, 2016, to May 18, 2016. The affected vehicles may be equipped with an Electronic Stability Program (ESP) control unit that may have been damaged before being installed. A damaged ESP control unit may inadvertently activate the stability control altering the vehicle's path. Additionally, the electronic parking brake may not function. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash. MBUSA will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ESP Hydraulic control units, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in October 2016. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov
Old 10-18-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I was thinking about getting one of these, either the 300 or the glc43, but this thread has me very concerned. People here seem to think it's a design flaw. Why aren't there more posters, not that there aren't more than a few here. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:10 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I was thinking about getting one of these, either the 300 or the glc43, but this thread has me very concerned. People here seem to think it's a design flaw. Why aren't there more posters, not that there aren't more than a few here. Regards. Ned.
I AM getting a GLC300 because I researched the hell out of the market for the vehicle. It has the absolute best interior I have seen, is just the right size, has all of the tech stuff I want (including HUD) and a state of the art tow hitch with anti-sway properties and is priced several thousand below comparable SUV's. If anything this thread has helped me make my decision in that not all GLC300 owners are experiencing the aforementioned problems. The fact that some report "smooth as silk" tickles me to no end and I can't wait to get mine. I have been on several forums in my lifetime and know that you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt because we are all not alike. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies and some are fear driven. Now without being critical of several posters I approach this thread with my glass half full even though I have had my share of cars and their problems. I really do not understand how this is a design flaw when it is not happening to everyone. I am not afraid to buy this car because IMHO if I don't I will be missing out on a great driving experience ...
ec_nova (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:42 PM

E300, C63
I AM getting a GLC300 because I researched the hell out of the market for the vehicle. It has the absolute best interior I have seen, is just the right size, has all of the tech stuff I want (including HUD) and a state of the art tow hitch with anti-sway properties and is priced several thousand below comparable SUV's. If anything this thread has helped me make my decision in that not all GLC300 owners are experiencing the aforementioned problems. The fact that some report "smooth as silk" tickles me to no end and I can't wait to get mine. I have been on several forums in my lifetime and know that you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt because we are all not alike. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies and some are fear driven. Now without being critical of several posters I approach this thread with my glass half full even though I have had my share of cars and their problems. I really do not understand how this is a design flaw when it is not happening to everyone. I am not afraid to buy this car because IMHO if I don't I will be missing out on a great driving experience ...
I would be careful using logic on a forum if I were you!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by ec_nova
I would be careful using logic on a forum if I were you!
You are so right ... but it is only IMHO that I express my glee! Can't wait for it to arrive!
Old 10-18-2016, 05:04 PM

E300, C63
You are so right ... but it is only IMHO that I express my glee! Can't wait for it to arrive!
Right there with ya! I always thought I was patient until I ordered my GLC lol
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
The glc looks great on paper for sure. But you have a bunch of owners in different locations with an assortment of build dates reporting the same type of problem. How can you ignore it? Certainly worth investigating thoroughly before diving in IMO. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 PM

I would follow it up by saying I've had frustrating experiences with Mercedes on a definite problem in my car they never owned up to and never fixed. I have a 2011 e550 with airmatic shocks. They work great on normally decent roads but Kind of seize up when you hit even a moderate road rut or pothole, which are common in NJ. So as opposed to absorbing shock when you go over a very rough road, they transmit shock, sounds like a gunshot when you hit a pothole, you would think you're going to have a blowout. The tech went out for a drive and claimed it was normal as did another tech at another dealer. They are full of you know what. Refused to admit a design flaw, it can happen. I live with it, just very careful, love the car otherwise. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 PM

FYI. There are some owners on other enthusiasts websites complaining about the same issue. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG GLC43
Interesting turn of sorts on this discussion. My $.02.

1. I am not at all certain it is a universal design flaw. I only know about MY car. And my car bounces, vibrates at an alarming rate when driving over imperfections in the road - th e higher the speed the worse.

2. This is my second MB. I had a 2012 GLK Diesel that I loved. I don't have that car anymore - it was accepted back by MB as a LEMON. I put 6 sets of front brake rotors on that car in less than 18 months. Has MB ever issued a recall or SB for that car ? Not that I know of. Did a good number of other folks bring up the issue of brake rotors on GLK's on this and other MB forums? Yes, they/I did.

It seems to me that any implication or exaggeration of trouble may be very presumptive and not based on first hand knowledge

I know this about my 2 MB's

1. My car does not handle as normal
2. MB has not acknowledged the situation and unlike the brake rotors on my GLK this is a particularly difficult problem to replicate. It mostly happens at random intervals at highway speed here in SOCAL for me. It is not prudent for me to stop and take a not 40 miles from the dealership that this might be a good place to test ride this car with the Service Rep
3. My only other MB resulted in a LEMON on a driving condition that was discussed on these forums but that has not happened to every GLK vehicle

I like my GLC very much - right size, wonderful interior.

But there is a problem with how it handles imperfections in the road. Other GLC's may not.

If you are considering buying one - my statement to you would be that you should perform due diligence and drive it at highway speed as much as the dealership will allow. You will likely be OK, but you also stand a chance of have a suspension issue.

Again, my $.02

Jeff
NRW2018 (11-22-2017)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by jeffzou
Interesting turn of sorts on this discussion. My $.02.

1. I am not at all certain it is a universal design flaw. I only know about MY car. And my car bounces, vibrates at an alarming rate when driving over imperfections in the road - th e higher the speed the worse.

2. This is my second MB. I had a 2012 GLK Diesel that I loved. I don't have that car anymore - it was accepted back by MB as a LEMON. I put 6 sets of front brake rotors on that car in less than 18 months. Has MB ever issued a recall or SB for that car ? Not that I know of. Did a good number of other folks bring up the issue of brake rotors on GLK's on this and other MB forums? Yes, they/I did.

It seems to me that any implication or exaggeration of trouble may be very presumptive and not based on first hand knowledge

I know this about my 2 MB's

1. My car does not handle as normal
2. MB has not acknowledged the situation and unlike the brake rotors on my GLK this is a particularly difficult problem to replicate. It mostly happens at random intervals at highway speed here in SOCAL for me. It is not prudent for me to stop and take a not 40 miles from the dealership that this might be a good place to test ride this car with the Service Rep
3. My only other MB resulted in a LEMON on a driving condition that was discussed on these forums but that has not happened to every GLK vehicle

I like my GLC very much - right size, wonderful interior.

But there is a problem with how it handles imperfections in the road. Other GLC's may not.

If you are considering buying one - my statement to you would be that you should perform due diligence and drive it at highway speed as much as the dealership will allow. You will likely be OK, but you also stand a chance of have a suspension issue.

Again, my $.02

Jeff
Do you or any of the others having this problem have the optional air body control suspension or the standard agility control suspension? This sounds like a software problem with the agility control suspension to me, not fully designed out unfortunately. I ask because I was considering the glc43 which has the optional air suspension, hoping just not a more expensive problem. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Exaggeration huh-Don't think so. My GLE 350 - door frames creak when driving over uneven surfaces. THe dealer has lubricated the door sills 2 times now. still not resolved. It's annoying. Also when I turn left or right there is a knock underneath the carriage. THe dealer said they found a lose tranny cross brace. 2 days later the problem returned even worse. It used to knock when turning left. Now it knocks turning right too.
I never expected problems like that on a $70K luxury SUV
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG GLC43
Hi Ned

My GLC does not have either of those features.

I have the Sport Package and that's about all. There does not seem to be any commonality of features that attract this particular driving phenomenon.

Jeff

Originally Posted by ngerstman
Do you or any of the others having this problem have the optional air body control suspension or the standard agility control suspension? This sounds like a software problem with the agility control suspension to me, not fully designed out unfortunately. I ask because I was considering the glc43 which has the optional air suspension, hoping just not a more expensive problem. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Vibration when hitting small bumps in road