GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

We Drive the Spunky and Lovable Mercedes GLC300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
We Drive the Spunky and Lovable Mercedes GLC300

We took the newly-born 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 for a beautiful (and wet) country drive in rural Wisconsin, and we quickly realized how much better the crossover is than its predecessor.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage. >>
Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Originally Posted by MBWorld Editor
We took the newly-born 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 for a beautiful (and wet) country drive in rural Wisconsin, and we quickly realized how much better the crossover is than its predecessor.
Whilst the headline might be great for those 'over the water' I'm afraid you might want to consider changing the words for those in Europe...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spunk
The following users liked this post:
mindi (06-09-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
As this is a worldwide forum, certain words have different meanings from country to country. And in this case am thinking the writer had no idea the word in the UK is vulgar slang meaning semen.

That said, don't think the words courageous/determined (spunky) are an apt means to describe the GLC.

If a reader in the US were to read a post written by someone in the UK wherein the word *** was used to describe a cigarette it could be considered offensive here, as it is a derogatory word for a gay male. In this case, as with the work spunky, the North American meaning is quite different from the UK meaning.

The point being, when one reads a post from another country that may contain a offensive word in the readers country, he/she should consider the meaning of the word as its written in the posters country. Conversely, if one is posting here they should keep in mind that different words may have different, read offensive, meaning in other countries.

Lastly, the folks in WI are real experts on cheese but evidently need help with UK slang.
So Mikey its your job to keep them on their toes. lol
The following users liked this post:
mindi (06-09-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
So Mikey its your job to keep them on their toes. lol
When I smoked and went to America on business, asked someone if I could 'bum a *** off them' wasn't my finest hour So, I agree, it's all about audiences and who's listening. Spunk isn't great to describe something good in the UK as having a *** doesn't quite equate from English to American.

England invented the language but look what the Americans did to it
Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
WARNiNG: This post has nothing to do with anything automobile.

Mikey, Many years ago I was in the center of town in a midlands city. Don't remember which one.

A motor coach pulled up and disgorged a large group of American senior citizens. Not surprisingly they had to pee. I overheard one ask a local where the "rest room" was. The Brit had not a clue what the American was asking. Laughingly, I interceded to inform the elderly American the proper and slang British English words for the place where one relieves themself.

Bty I still sometimes order my coffee white. Then I have to explain what I want.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 06-08-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Ok so I'm confused, the article says "The GLC300 saw a reduction in overall size, especially in length", but the GLK is 178" in length while the GLC is 183" in length. So it's 5" longer then it's predecessor. So what is this reduction in length they are talking about?