GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Is there a secret to "convenience opening"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 02:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300
Is there a secret to "convenience opening"?

The manual and a MB instructional video describe "convenience opening". Using this feature you can open the windows and the sunroof with the smart key to air the car out a bit before you step in.

The manual says all you do to activate this is press and hold the unlock button on the key.

I find this very buggy. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure out what the trick might be.

Googling around some people say the key has to be very close to the car and pointed directly at the driver's door handle. For me, that seems to help sometimes, but only sometimes.

Is there a trick anyone has figured out to make this work reliably? Summer's here and it would be useful if it worked as described in the manual...
Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
What you read at Bens Wurld is all HS----assuming you have set correctly and have good key batteries you should be able to use the feature from 20+ feet----be patient read the manual again or call your grandson!!
Old 06-24-2016, 12:39 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Plutoe
What you read at Bens Wurld is all HS----assuming you have set correctly and have good key batteries you should be able to use the feature from 20+ feet----be patient read the manual again or call your grandson!!
I'm doing exactly what the manual says from 3 feet away, and I have no grandson, not even a son. So I guess you're saying this is one for the dealer?

What do you mean by "set correctly"? What needs to be "set"? The manual says push and hold the unlock button and the feature will work. There's no mention of any settings. Thx.

Last edited by LazyDriver; 06-24-2016 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mindi (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Excuse the language,but what you did with the unlock button is what I call a setting.

If you go to the dealer after 12,any service writer worth his salt will be able to show you how to use the feature!!
Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
There's no need to be close to the car or to direct the signal at it. Earlier models used a dual signal system (infrared + radio) with an IR sensor in the door handle (small black square). Good system but no longer used, at least in the GLC.
LazyDriver (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 07:46 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by guido3
There's no need to be close to the car or to direct the signal at it. Earlier models used a dual signal system (infrared + radio) with an IR sensor in the door handle (small black square). Good system but no longer used, at least in the GLC.
Thanks for the note. So for you, this works from say, 15 or 20 feet away? You just push and hold the button for 2-3 seconds and the windows start opening?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:06 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by LazyDriver
Thanks for the note. So for you, this works from say, 15 or 20 feet away? You just push and hold the button for 2-3 seconds and the windows start opening?
Yes, it has worked when I tried it a few times. I've only done it while approaching the vehicle at a point where I clearly see it before opening the windows --probably 20 ft max. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I've always locked/unlocked the vehicle with a quick click first then a longer second hold (3-4 sec) for the all windows closed/opened function.
The following 2 users liked this post by guido3:
LazyDriver (06-25-2016), Lurkerlisa (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 03:28 AM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by guido3
Yes, it has worked when I tried it a few times. I've only done it while approaching the vehicle at a point where I clearly see it before opening the windows --probably 20 ft max. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I've always locked/unlocked the vehicle with a quick click first then a longer second hold (3-4 sec) for the all windows closed/opened function.

Thanks. I tried it with my second key to see if it might be a problem with the key and got basically the same result. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Like you, I find that it works a higher percentage of the time on the 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th click... I also seemed to find it works best from about 5 feet away laterally from the rear corner of the car, pointing toward the front door. When I have time I'll ask the dealer about it...
Old 06-25-2016, 09:30 AM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
I believe the antenna for the key fob RF signal is integrated in either the exterior mirrors or the roof spoiler. Just a wild guess but maybe the dealer can run a diagnostic to check the connections to the antenna. Loose connections are not likely but do happen.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
none
I've noticed some inconsistencies also. I resorted to click to unlock, then hold to open all.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LazyDriver
The manual and a MB instructional video describe "convenience opening". Using this feature you can open the windows and the sunroof with the smart key to air the car out a bit before you step in.

The manual says all you do to activate this is press and hold the unlock button on the key.

I find this very buggy. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure out what the trick might be.

Googling around some people say the key has to be very close to the car and pointed directly at the driver's door handle. For me, that seems to help sometimes, but only sometimes.

Is there a trick anyone has figured out to make this work reliably? Summer's here and it would be useful if it worked as described in the manual...
hi there I was having same issues and I worked out that if second key was still inside the car the convieiance feature does not work. I took second fob out of car and both keys Gobs work open or close.

Cheers

Craig
New Zealand
ML63 2009
Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
You can disable the key inside the car by pressing the lock button twice quickly, it allows you to then leave the key in the car.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
And if you want to blow your mind... let's say your limit is 20 feet, try it at 30 or 40 feet by pushing the button into your lower jaw bone. The area right under your chin. Then push the button.

For some reason, most people's head bone strengthens the RF sent and extends the range of the remote. Don't joke - just try. I LOL'd when I first heard of this, now use it all the time when out of range or forgot if I locked the car.
CasemLuke (10-10-2018)