GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Satellite Radio... Which Is It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Satellite Radio... Which Is It?

This may not be a huge deal to most of you, but before I ask the Benz or SiriusXM, I figured I'd ask here.

I noticed that even though we get a few months of the all inclusive Satellite radio package, the package is for Sirius stations only. I'm kind of ok with this, but when I renew, I was wondering if one can get the XM or SiriusXM stations. I'm thinking it might not be possible since I think I see Sirius as the descriptor for the Sat. Radio in some places. I've had one call with Sirius/XM to talk about why I'm not getting certain stations, they explained to me that my model is set to get Sirius stations so that's what I get.

Now it's been a number of years since Sirius and XM merged, yet could MB be using ONLY a Sirius radio in their vehicles and NOT a Sirius/XM one? My other vehicle has the Sirius/XM radio (not a Benz.) So, does anyone know the type of Sat. Radio that MB is installing in our GLCs?

I'm hoping it's just the package that MB is paying XM for... though I don't know why all parties wouldn't want to showcase as much as possible in the trial period.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
It's both Sirius/XM. I have it in all my three vehicles. GLK, RRS and 15 ESCALADE. With the ESCALADE they have the anywhere package which gives me the ability to stream xm in my phone. I dropped the GLK subscription and with Bluetooth stream it in my iPhone and play it in the GLK. Still have the MB apps and MBrace though.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 PM

Well, if it's an XM/Sirius radio, then when the trial is over, one should be able to get the 300 and above level stations. I think I read somewhere and even the XM rep. mentioned that Sirius radios can't receive that many stations. That's why the Sirius grouping doesn't have those stations from 300 up.
I'm asking since I am lucky with a lifetime subscription. I'll use it once my trial period is over and hopefully and can get those 300level stations. I'm waiting so they don't mess up my accounts... though I may call and ask them to do it sooner... just so I can move on. Here's hoping.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
"Normallly" a "Lifetime Subscription" cannot be transferred to another vehcile - you can try to hassle that out with Sirious customer service - let us know how that goes..
Old 07-03-2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
"Normallly" a "Lifetime Subscription" cannot be transferred to another vehcile - you can try to hassle that out with Sirious customer service - let us know how that goes..
I got it before they changed it to that policy. Already talked with them about it. I actually had it on both of my vehicles but I got the second one after they changed it to the new policy about transferring to OEM radios. I'll post when the day comes, but I feel pretty good about it today anyway.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB GLC 300 4Matic
Distorted Sirius/XM reception

I have had Sirius/XM in all my vehicles since 2008 and had excellent reception (I live on the eastern shore of MD). The reception with my GLC300 while volume is good has some distortion in the voices when I listen to news programs. Most notable is increase volume and static like sound on first syllable when of sentences. Anyone have a clue?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by easternshore
I have had Sirius/XM in all my vehicles since 2008 and had excellent reception (I live on the eastern shore of MD). The reception with my GLC300 while volume is good has some distortion in the voices when I listen to news programs. Most notable is increase volume and static like sound on first syllable when of sentences. Anyone have a clue?
The news stations have lower bandwidth than the music channels hence the distortion.

OP: You are correct. MB uses Sirius tuners only.

It is SiriusXM but only Nissan, Chrysler and I believe, one other company have made the full switch over to SiriusXM instead of Sirius or XM only.

SiriusXM gets you the channels in the 300's. If you don't receive those channels, you still on the legacy XM or Sirius network.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB GLC 300 4Matic
The best reception was my 2014 Cheep Cherokee - a Chrysler product. Thanks for the information. I wondered if it was that I did not have an external antenna on the GLC300.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300, 1988 Porsche 911
I notice a huge difference in sound quality between the RDX I just turned in and my wife's C300 and my new GLC300. I little digging revealed there are different satellite radios, those that use the Sirius system and those that use the XM. Even though they "merged" that was a corporate merger. The systems are still separate. I looked on the Sirius/XM site and it clearly shows my RDX uses the much better sounding XM signal. Also, if you look at what tuners go into higher end Merc's you'll see they use the SM, for example on the S Series. The sound quality if very noticeably worse on the "Sirius" signal. The RDX sounded much, much better. The satellite sound on my GLC sounds like a very poor, highly compressed digital sound. Pretty disappointing in my opinion since the cost difference can't be that high.